what should i take for constipation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what should i take for constipation?

i've been pretty constipated for the past week. i have every other day a.m bowel program. after 4 days i finally went on friday but my stomach was still kinda full. then today i couldn't go again. i've been reading all the constipation archives but i'm confused as to exactly what i should take. is milk of magnesia or magnesium citrate better? should i take senakot?

[This message was edited by 12many on 03-20-05 at 09:01 PM.]

Go get some good spicy mexican food.

Or any of the things you mentioned if you think it's that serious.

Comment

Guinness and a supersize number two

Brian
      http://bspill1.home.comcast.net/index1.html

"Boredom's not a burden Anyone should bear. Constant over stimulation numbs me and I wouldn't have It any other way."
      Maynard

Comment

dont take anything, let your body work. you start taking chemical laxatives youll just shit all over yourself. eat some mini wheats and lots of water

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by Bspill1:

Guinness and a supersize number two
          I dont know about the ''supersize number two'',but im down with the Guiness..Anytime i get a little backed up i'll have a beer or two before i go to bed and it seems to work,for me anyways..

~~I went to heaven,but couldnt get in for what i had done.I said ''please take me'',they said your crazy,you had to much fun~~

Comment

Since this just seems to be a problem in the past week, I would start with the mildest- don't know about the Guiness but I guess it is worth a try- coffee, is a stimulant.
            I would try an increase intake of prune juice, lots of water and fiber first.
            Have you tried a dulcolax suppository? The suppository will empty out the lower part.
            The laxative will work on more of the entire bowel. If you feel you need a laxative, try Senakot or Milk of Magnesia, or any of the more natural laxatives that are slower in action. Mag citrate is pretty strong when you drink the whole bottle.
            They can all cause cramping but especially Mag citrate.

CWO
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Best advice I ever got was to work in a tablespoon of vegetable oil into your diet. I add some to peanut butter. And a small bowl of rice, oil and ranch dressing is good. It has made a big difference for me.

brian

Who are these time beings? And, why are we always doing things for them?
              Who are these time beings? And, why are we always doing things for them?

If it wasn't for C, we'd be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL.

Comment

apple sauce,then if stillno result,try
                lactalose,10 or15 ml?,sorry not sure the
                recommended ml for lactolose

Comment

Originally posted by triedandconvicted:

apple sauce,then if stillno result,try
                  lactalose,10 or15 ml?,sorry not sure the
                  recommended ml for lactolose
                  i thought applesauce produced no waste its part of the BRAT diet
                  Banana
                  Rice
                  Applesauce
                  Toast
                  but everyone is different

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com

Comment

Fuen,ap sauce is fibre its part of the BP recipe from hell got it in Rehab,mix 1/3 prune juice,1/3 kellog bran and 1/3 ap sauce;take 2 tblsp 1/2 hr after meal.its gross but does help.

Comment

12 many - It has been a week since you posted, so I hope by now that you are getting back to normal. However, if you are still having problems, I would urge you to contact your primary care physician. Do not wait so long that you become impacted. CRF
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

What's Natural About 'Mild' Medicines?

I'm a T 11-12 para since I was eighteen and am sixty-one now. I have never been or felt healthier than I do now.

When I scan a thread like this, I am amazed by how far we have strayed from the basic wisdom of our hunter/gatherer ancestors.

A daily diet rich in natural living (unprocessed and uncooked; raw) foods will promote regular healthy BMs as well as providing you with a source of nutrition that cannot be equaled by any supplement or medicine. There is no alternative diet that will promote the long-term glowing health which one high in raw foods will.

Ocassional constipation (only encountered in the absence of the above) is best countered by a heavy consumption of raw foods accompanied by a few teaspoons of steel-cut flaw seed. The flax seed (cut or whole) is an extremely powerful natural laxative with its own nutritional pluses. Add a pint of warm liquid about a half hour before you want to dump and maybe a cup of coffee to boot.

End of story and of constipation
                        "Sometimes I just sets and thinks...
                        and sometimes I just sets.
                        "

Otis Redding I think

Comment

Originally posted by jukespin
                          I'm a T 11-12 para since I was eighteen and am sixty-one now. I have never been or felt healthier than I do now.

When I scan a thread like this, I am amazed by how far we have strayed from the basic wisdom of our hunter/gatherer ancestors.

A daily diet rich in natural living (unprocessed and uncooked; raw) foods will promote regular healthy BMs as well as providing you with a source of nutrition that cannot be equaled by any supplement or medicine. There is no alternative diet that will promote the long-term glowing health which one high in raw foods will.

Ocassional constipation (only encountered in the absence of the above) is best countered by a heavy consumption of raw foods accompanied by a few teaspoons of steel-cut flaw seed. The flax seed (cut or whole) is an extremely powerful natural laxative with its own nutritional pluses. Add a pint of warm liquid about a half hour before you want to dump and maybe a cup of coffee to boot.

End of story and of constipation
                          flax isnt a laxative,. its fiber..........i agree laxatives arent healthy at all. i dont agree w/ any bowel meds at all
                          Bike-on.com rep
                          John@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps
                            flax isnt a laxative,. its fiber..........i agree laxatives arent healthy at all. i dont agree w/ any bowel meds at all

That's cuz your bowels work!
                            Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Liz321
                              That's cuz your bowels work!
                              they are functional, not near what they were pre sci..its more about feeling than anything, not control.....i still get constipated, lol, its not just a crip thing
                              Bike-on.com rep
                              John@bike-on.com

Comment

Working...
                              X