Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intermittent Catheterization: Clean versus Sterile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I have given such a poll a try. Because they are so many options, it was difficult come up with the options. I limited it to ten choices. Please suggest changes... I can still edit them unless people have voted. Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young
      Okay, I have given such a poll a try. Because they are so many options, it was difficult come up with the options. I limited it to ten choices. Please suggest changes... I can still edit them unless people have voted. Wise.
      Clean intermittent catheterization (re-use hydrophilic) is an invalid questionnaire item. The hydrophilic coating comes off (although not entirely) during insertion and then withdrawal. Since there's no way to reapply the coating, thus restoring it to its original condition, it's not reusable.
      stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

It's amazing that you could come up with any list at all, given the variations. Since silicon coatings are put on so many different types of substrates, it might render the poll a bit more accurate to change the "silicone" to "silicone or silicone-coated" in the poll (two places).And a a button "don't know" might be added. Sorry to be so picky! Thanks *so* much for all your work! - fw

Comment

Originally posted by firewheels
          It's amazing that you could come up with any list at all, given the variations. Since silicon coatings are put on so many different types of substrates, it might render the poll a bit more accurate to change the "silicone" to "silicone or silicone-coated" in the poll (two places).And a a button "don't know" might be added. Sorry to be so picky! Thanks *so* much for all your work! - fw
          I changed the hydrophilic and silicone both to "coated". Decided not to put a don't know option. People who don't know shouldn't answer in this poll. However, I have put a category for those who don't use urinary catheters. Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212
            Clean intermittent catheterization (re-use hydrophilic) is an invalid questionnaire item. The hydrophilic coating comes off (although not entirely) during insertion and then withdrawal. Since there's no way to reapply the coating, thus restoring it to its original condition, it's not reusable.
            You never know... there may be people who re-use hydrophilic coated catheters... Wise.

Comment

You never know... there may be people who re-use hydrophilic coated catheters... Wise.
              I re-use hydrophilic catheters - have re-used by washing 1 catheter for a full day's cathing (approx. 4-6 +), without problems with the lubrication of coating. Of course, it diminishes with wash, but still relatively slippery. This can/does vary, and also, depends on how 'tight' my stoma may be, and degree it may need more coating to insert more easily. How often I might re-use, or single use and toss, depends on need.

Comment

This poll seems to need the ability to check multiple boxes. I cath using various catheters depending on the situation, and someone might cath through a Mitrofanoff using various catheters as well.

I've also washed and re-used hydrophyllic catheters. My sensation helps tell me when the lubrication is no longer sufficient, usually after 3 or 4 times cathing.

Comment

Just saw poll list...

I can't vote (or not sure which to vote for), since I have mitro; and use CIC (re-use hydrophilic), and sometimes sterile hydrophilic; and sterile single use kits/bags.

Overall, I'm generally not very meticulous with the "cleanliness" of my technique. Have very few infections, and if I had, never got checked to really know if it was actual case. Tho, I think part of this is my not being overly concerned and paranoid about it, nor am I quick to think that every possible symptom is UTI related, or needing meds to treat.

Comment

ye si agree with scorpion, multiple choices should be enable.
                    i use new mentor caths at home, new , never reuse.
                    when i am out i use the lo fric with the attached water kit to activate.
                    if in my car or other weird place like a subway platform i use a self contained touch less kit, the original oneils
                    i also wonder if men or woman makes any difference in the poll
                    cauda equina

Comment

Originally posted by metronycguy
                      if in my car or other weird place like a subway platform i use a self contained touch less kit, the original oneils
                      Really? You whip it out on subway platforms? I guess if you got it, flaunt it. [IMG]/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif[/IMG]
                      stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

I agree with the multiple choices. I mostly CIC, but I also on occasion use the sterile package and on other occasions I put in a foley for a day or two.
                        Last edited by paramoto; 26 Oct 2007, 5:16 PM.
                        T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Comment

By the way, slightly but not totally off topic, how long after expiration would you still consider safe and use a sterile self contained package (O┬┤neal/Rusch type)??
                          T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Comment

Yikes, I have a feeling that it might scramble the polls if I allow people to have multiple choices. Yes, of course everybody has tried doing it multiple ways. Perhaps what people should answer is what is the procedure that they are using most often, as opposed to what they have tried and found to be no good or think is good but cannot do it because it is too expensive or impractical.

For somebody who actually switches back and from between CIC and SIC, or between usable an reusable, I suggest that they give the method they use most frequently. The goal of the poll is to get a sampling of what people use. Allowing people to make multiple choices would muddle up the answers to the point that it would be not suitable.

For example, Chick, since you have a Mitro, you should say so. That is your primary means of urination, isn't it? Paramoto, I would say CIC (one-time or re-use) since that is your most common mode. Metro, you should be sterile one-time, I suppose. By the way, I agree with you that it would be interesting to know whether the user is male or female. It would make a difference. One possible way of doing this is to have people's names associated with their votes... let me do that.

Wise.

Comment

Yes, mitro is primary method of catheter insertion, but technique and catheter type can vary among those with mitro - some alternate (like me), and others exclusively use CIC or sterile (with varying options as listed) . So, if looking at catheter TECHNIQUE, it might still be difficult to answer for a person with mitro, if the measure is clean vs sterile, because just choosing mitro doesn't necessarily inform us about type of catheter and technique used.

But to simplify, for me, most often is CIC, re-use hydrophilic - at present time.

Comment

Okay, I closed this poll and set up a new thread with a poll. This new poll allows multiple choices but identifies the members who voted on each choice. This should reduce the confusion somewhat. So, people can put multiple choices... Sorry about making everybody vote again but I think the data will be more useful.

/forum/showthread.php?t=90558

Wise.

Comment

Working...
                                X