No announcement yet.

Sleeping through the night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take klonipan to help me sleep, I usually get about 6-8 hours. Without it I have the hardest time falling asleep, and once I fall asleep I wake up about an hour later(on and off all night).
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Comment

Quote:
      Originally Posted by CapnGimp
      Depending on my intake of h2o during the day, I might have to get up 2 or 3 times.
      Originally posted by sjean423
      why not a bigger bag?

I really dump at night a 2000ml bed bag wasn't enough so i attached a bed bag hose to a modified 5quart cat litter jug. works awesome and is easy to carry and drain 'has built in handle' any kind of plastic jug would work.

Comment

I do see a urologist for checkups and he has no problems with my nocturnal voiding system. No scarring, no reflux, no loss in bladder capacity, no UTI's, no stones or calcifications and I drink as much fluid as I want during the day or night. Actually, the more fluid the better if you insert the catheter all night. Every now and then when I remove the catheter in the morning after I crap there is a tiny amount of mucous in the eyehole area of the catheter. It's nothing but a subtle sign to drink even more fluid. During the day, I cath with a 14Fr., 16" length Kendall/Dover Rob-Nel PVC catheter. Here's the deal; At night I insert a 14Fr., 16" length Kendall/Dover Red Robinson latex catheter because it is softer and less rigid than the PVC type. I figure if it's going to be in my urethra and bladder all night...softer would be less irritating to the membranes. At night when I get into bed, I first put on my Dale catheter strap around my thigh, secure the drainage bag tubing to the green velcro on the catheter strap, I take the funnel end of the catheter (keeping the rest of the sterile or clean in the package) and plug it into the bedside drainage bag tube, I then get out the Surgilube/KY Jelly tube, tape and tissue, I use the "WetOnes" to disinfect my hands and pecker, I then carefully withdraw the catheter from the package without it touching anything and then insert it into the tube of lubricant. I slowly and gently insert the catheter until I see urine flowing in the drainage bag tubing then advance it maybe another 1/2". I then wipe off the excess lube off my pecker head and any that got on the catheter that is still sticking out. I then use the Transpore tape to secure the catheter to the shaft of my pecker. I use two or three 6" pieces (3" on the pecker and 3" on the catheter) down the shaft (top, bottom, side). Then I wrap a single 4" piece of Elastoplast tape around my pecker, just under the corona but on top of the Transpore tape to be sure the Transpore tape is will stick to my pecker all night. It sounds sort of complicated but it's really simple or I wouldn't do it every night and it only takes me a few minutes now. As a precaution, I always lay the drainage bag in a plastic tupperware container on the floor just in case the bag leaks. I always did that anyway. I sleep through the night, can sip on water if I wake up during the night and in the morning, 8 hours later 1500-2000cc of urine is sitting in the bag. I hope this answers some of your questions and feel free to ask me anything. It's worked for me since 2000.

Comment

The bag should be sterile. A kitty litter bag or bottle is not. Medline makes a 4000 cc. bedside bag. See if you can get these ordered.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
            The bag should be sterile.
            Why?

C.

Comment

Because it is well known that a biologic slime layer (yes, it is actually called that) develops inside the bag and travels up the tubing, and this creates a conduit for bacteria to "swim" up into the bladder, even with a anti-reflux valve. If the bag is sterile (and is cleaned regularly) it takes longer for and is more difficult for the slime layer to develop. Some bags (such as Bard) now are made with material embedded in the bag itself that inhibits the growth of the slime layer.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

just want to chime in and say yes, my sleep sux bigtime. maybe 5 hours at most. i sometimes wonder how much all of my lack of sleep contributes to my oss of memory and a loss of my "normal" intelligence.

Comment

my sleep is consistently awful, I wake up every two hours - fall asleep after the 11pm news and then I get out of bed @ 530-6am, I think it is definetly why I can't think anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by capecodsci
                    my sleep is consistently awful, I wake up every two hours - fall asleep after the 11pm news and then I get out of bed @ 530-6am, I think it is definetly why I can't think anymore.
                    i wake up everytime i move in bed [pain spasms].i move often ....almost every 10-15 minutes.

Comment

Other, because I sleep 2-4 hours at night, the same in the morning. Awake at all other times. Because neuropathic pain is exacerbated by being still for too long, pressure points hurting.

I use a 4000 cc bag at night, cleaned with bleach water daily and replaced weekly.
                      get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

Originally posted by air ohs
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by CapnGimp
                        Depending on my intake of h2o during the day, I might have to get up 2 or 3 times.

I really dump at night a 2000ml bed bag wasn't enough so i attached a bed bag hose to a modified 5quart cat litter jug. works awesome and is easy to carry and drain 'has built in handle' any kind of plastic jug would work.

I don't like those monster bed bags, I just use the same bag I wear all the time, call me lazy. I used to keep a small juicy-juice bottle for nite-time but I got to thinking, if I was still walking, I'd just hop up and go, so I do that now. Besides, it gives me an opportunity to go out on the deck and look at the night sky and listen to the creatures outside.
                        A few nites ago, I arose at 5:10 am to drain my radiator and went to the window. There was this huge lump that looked like a giant bat climbing down the support column for the decks above me. I thought 'bat' becase it had the shape of one hanging upside down(legs).Then I said that is ridiculous(I was just asleep, remember) it is way too big and this isn't Africa (fruit bats), lol. I flipped the light on and it was a racoon. He mosied around out there for about a minute smelling of all my junk on the deck, then climbed down to the ground. That was too cool. He also left a pile of crap, topped with whole poke berries on the deck above and on my door's threshold, he just left a pile of undigested poke berries. He was up above to eat the dog's food.
                        I then went outside as I was awake now and viewed Venus thru a telescope, it was the same phase as the moon and really bright. Then I turned my eye upwards to look at Orion, my favorite object in the sky. I thought to myself, 'So beautiful, God has blessed me to see such wonderful things, I'd KNOW it was intentional if'...and I was about to say, if I could just see a meteorite before I go in and BOOM, there was a bright, green streak beside Orion that lasted for about a second! You may not be a believer but I am. This made a zillion nites of arising worth it all. I went back to bed and shared my happiness with Him for a while before going off to sleep.

For the last two nites, I have intentionally limited my fluid intake before bedtime and slept all the nite thru. I used to have sleep problems and slept in the day and was awake all nite, for years, until I started riding the handcycle. Exercise is beneficial in MANY ways. It even got rid of severe pain in my shoulder/neck and arm that the doctors could do nothing for caused by neck disc problems that were pinching nerves and a tear in the rotator cuff. No amount of pain meds touched it.

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

Originally posted by CapnGimp
                          Orion, my favorite object in the sky.
                          Orion is my favorite constellation, too!

C.

Comment

re the large nighty time volumes ..... considering my method is IC, glad I don't have those volumes. Once during the night is bad enough.
                            T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Working...
                            X