prostate infection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

prostate infection?

From my reading here, I've sadly learned that urinary tract infections are just something that I'll have to live with. But my last 2 infections were pretty bad and spread to my prostate. I'm only 25 and thought people my age did not get prostate problems. Has anybody else had this problem and do the things that prevent bladder infections (like cranberry juice) work for prostate infections? Any tips would be appreciated because I'm not used to being sick every few weeks.

I did a search on this site but didn't come up with much.

/forum/showthread.php?t=8021

Sometimes IV antibiotics are the only thing that works. Make sure you get UTIs diagnosed right away and if your doctor gives you oral antibiotics, make sure you ask for 14 day course instead of the short course.
    Daniel

Comment

Oh yeah, and read the sticky about Clean Intermittent Cath.

New Clinical Practice Guideline for Clean Intermittent Cath
      Daniel

Comment

Before I had my injury I had a prostate infection at age 25. I found it very difficult to treat but did eventually get rid of it with antibiotics. I am sure that someone having a lot of UTIs caused by catheratization is probably more likely to ge prostate infections as well. Prostate infectiions can begin at any age. When the subject of prostate problems come up most people are thinking of prostate enlargement or cancer. Now that is a issue that occurs as men get older and have nothing to do with infections.
        mike

Comment

Sean,

I don't think it is unusual considering all of those systems are interconnected for the body to function. The poorer function and irritation to our organs are likely going to create problems.

Comment

Originally posted by mike
            Before I had my injury I had a prostate infection at age 25. I found it very difficult to treat but did eventually get rid of it with antibiotics. I am sure that someone having a lot of UTIs caused by catheratization is probably more likely to ge prostate infections as well. Prostate infectiions can begin at any age. When the subject of prostate problems come up most people are thinking of prostate enlargement or cancer. Now that is a issue that occurs as men get older and have nothing to do with infections.
            Thank you for the information, Mike. I didn't realize young people can get prostate infections. Good to know that it's not that uncommon.

Comment

Only young men.
              Prostatitis can occur in any aged male. It does seem to be more common in those with SCI who cath etc... I don't know if I have ever read exact numbers.

CWO
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by hardluckhitshome
                From my reading here, I've sadly learned that urinary tract infections are just something that I'll have to live with. But my last 2 infections were pretty bad and spread to my prostate. I'm only 25 and thought people my age did not get prostate problems. Has anybody else had this problem and do the things that prevent bladder infections (like cranberry juice) work for prostate infections? Any tips would be appreciated because I'm not used to being sick every few weeks.
                Hi HardLuck,

You need to get the infection in your prostate cleared up with the right antibiotics.

Next month it will be 2 years since I've had a UTI or even a bacterial colonization (as far as I know). I used to get them 4-6 times a year and I was always bacterially colonized. Constant cloudy, smelly urine and bladder spasms, etc.

I can't emphasize too much the importance of being very clean about the intermittent catheterization procedure. I've written about this ad nauseum and the Nurses here don't approve of my procedure because it involves hydrogen peroxide. But if you want to try something that really works, I'll write about it one last time.

First off, either my prostate is enlarged or my bladder sphincter is tight but I can no longer leak a drop. It's been this way for about 20 years... I forget, it's been so long. I like it this way since I no longer get wet, need any anticholinergic agents or need to wear those annoying external catheters and legbags.... my boy is always FREE! Since I can no longer leak a drop or void a stream my urethra is no longer "naturally" flushed out so all the "traffic" is going one way... inward... and that puts me at a disadvantage so am more prone to UTIs.

Now there are a few ways to do this but I'll go through my routine. It may sound a bit complicated or time consuming but it really isn't, once you get the drill down.

1- Wash my hands in the kitchen sink (maybe after doing a few dishes) with detergent and warm water to get the "heavy stuff" off my hands. Wheelchairs are filthy things... the wheels and the push rims pick up all the bacteria that's on the floor... and if you have any pets in the house (I have a greyhound) it's even worse.

2- In the other side of my dual kitchen sink I keep a big bowl (lettuce crisper) of water, a shot of dish detergent and about 10% liquid bleach. Using a wash cloth I thoroughly wash my hands in the solution for about 1 minute.... making sure I get under the fingernails etc. I refill this once daily.

3- With a paper towel in each hand I wheel into the bathroom.

4- Then I put a bath towel under my scrotum and and straddle it across my legs to hold my urinal but especially to absorb all the hydrogen peroxide (HP) I'm about to make a mess with.

5- Then in a 13 ounce Palmolive dish detergent bottle that has been thorougly cleaned out, I fill it up with 3% (common percentage sold in most stores... but check to make sure it's 3% for safety's sake) hydrogen peroxide. Any detergent bottle thats has a smooth rounded cap on it will do. The detergent bottle caps used to fit on the 16 ounce HP bottles but they've changed the threading lately. Dammit. Then I throw the paper towels in the waste basket, pick up the bottle of hydrogen peroxide with my right hand and with the other hand I open up the meatus of my penis and while placing the rounded end of the Palmolive dish detergent bottle against it, I squirt with medium pressure, the HP inside my urethra. My guess is that it squirts in there about an inch. I do this 4-5 times and it backsplashes, so watch your eyes.

6- Then I rinse my hands and forearms off under warm water... to get the bleach/detergent solution off of them. Then I spray my urinal rim, my forearms and hands with 70% isopropyl alcohol that I have in a cleaned out Windex bottle. I soak them with it and then wash my hands with the alcohol.

7- Then with a 16 ounce bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide in it, where I store my 14fr clear self-cath catheter, I rinse the alcohol off my right hand (my clean hand) and fingers by grasping the bottle by its neck and turning it upside down. I do this 3-4 times until I feel the alcohol is off of them.

Perhaps if you use Germ-X or Purell you could forego all the handwashing that I do. But wash your hands well before using the Germ-X or Purell in order to get the heavy concentration of bacteria off of your hands first.

8- Then while holding the bottle with my right hand, I remove the catheter from the bottle, grabbing the catheter by the colored funnel end with my left hand/fingers. I hold the insertion end upward so the HP drips down onto my left hand... I don't want anything from my "dirty" left hand to get onto the catheter. After it's removed from the bottle, I grab the end of the catheter about 4 inches from the insertion end with the fingers of my right hand and slowly insert it all the way into my bladder and catheterize into the urinal. I can easily hold up to 1200ccs but at times have cathed as much as 1600ccs... way too much, but whatcha gonna do?! I don't use any lubrication like K-Y Jelly or Surgilube... the HP lubes fine and also kills bacteria as it procedes through my urethra. If you need lube, then use it, but make sure it's sterile.

9- When I'm done emptying my bladder I slowly pull out the catheter and a bit more urine drains. As soon as no urine is coming out I put my finger over the funnel end of the catheter, pull it out slowly and then release my finger from the funnel end and the residual urine that's in the catheter drains into the urinal. I no longer even have any gook or sediment etc. in the very tip of the catheter. My urine is always non-cloudy and either smells like coffee (yeah, I drink a lot of coffee!), normal urine or nothing at all. It's great.

10- I then reach over and empty the urinal into the toilet and rinse the catheter out in warm water. Then I give it a cool rinse. If you don't give it a cool rinse it will contract in the cool HP bottle and may be difficult to get out of the bottle the next time I catheterize. That can be a bitch! I also always flick the very tip of the catheter to get any urine or water out of it before winding it back into the HP bottle.

11- Then I rinse out the urinal with water a few times. I then remove the bath towel and wring the excess HP from the bath towel into the sink. Hey, its' my sink.. I live alone! Then if I need to, I refill both the 13 ounce Palmolive dish detergent bottle and the 16 ounce bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide that contains my catheter from a quart-sized bottle of HP so they're ready for the next use.

12- I then spray everything with the 70% isopropyl alcohol or Lysol spray before leaving the bathroom.

13- I'm circumsized but if you're not you may have bacteria growing in smegma or just in the foreskin area so you may need to pay a bit more attention to that area with the HP. If anything starts to foam, then you know that you're killing bacteria. Keep squirting any white foam away with the HP until it's no longer there.

14- I used to inject with a large syringe about a 1/2 ounce of HP about 5 inches into my urethra before every catheterization. I only do that every couple or few days now... whenever I get the urge! But that may be a bit of overkill and could be harmful, I don't know. I injected it into my urethra as I pulled the 5 inch long catheter attached to the large syringe out for about a year and a half and never had any bleeding or adverse effects that I could determine.

15- I use the same catheter that's stored in the HP bottle for up to 3 months. I could use it longer but they tend to stiffen up after a couple/few months and I wouldn't want to put the catheter manufacturers out of business!

HERE's a Word Document that I wrote over a year ago. Take from it what you will. What I wrote above is a slight deviation from it.

Good luck,

Bob.

PS. Just another reminder/warning. The Nurses here don't approve of my procedure but after being SCI'd for 28 years it's what I found works for me. It may be dangerous or harmful but so be it. I did it their way for years and always got my requisite number of 4-6 UTIs a year and kept Bayer Inc. in business by buying hundreds of dollars a year worth of Cipro from them. I still have quite a pharmacy of antibiotics here at home but haven't taken any in over 23 months... since I changed my cathing technique to the one above.

And be careful if you cut or burn your hands. Don't ever let your catheter touch any area of your hands, especially if they're cut or burnt.

If the FDA, some forward-looking urologists or SCI centers would try this procedure using the very safe antiseptic called "Microcyn" I wouldn't be forced to use hydrogen peroxide, a chemical that's a bit on the caustic side. Thank you Medical Community, let's keep clean-cathing the same way we've been doing it since the 70s... and with such fantastic results! < Sarcasm. Hardly a day goes by here in the "Care" forum without someone posting a UTI thread.

Developed by Oculus Innovative Sciences in Petaluma, the super-oxygenated water is claimed to be as effective a disinfectant as chlorine bleach, but is harmless to people, animals and plants. If accidentally ingested by a child, the likely impact is a bad case of clean teeth.
                That's all I can think of for now. Maybe I'll edit this later if I remember something else since it will be the last time that I write about my catheterization technique.
                "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

I just don't want your urethra to shrivel up. I don't know of any irrigation inside of the body with H2O2. Now H2O2 and NS makes a good mouth gargle for gum infection/ prevention, that is the closest example I can think of. We don't even use it on wounds anymore.

But I am open to ideas and certainly if someone wants to try it that is their decision.
                  Get someone to research it.

CWO
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Bob that is one metculous ritual!

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
                      I just don't want your urethra to shrivel up. I don't know of any irrigation inside of the body with H2O2. Now H2O2 and NS makes a good mouth gargle for gum infection/ prevention, that is the closest example I can think of. We don't even use it on wounds anymore.

But I am open to ideas and certainly if someone wants to try it that is their decision.
                      Get someone to research it.

CWO
                      Hi SCI-Nurse CWO,

Thank you for your concern about my urethra. Since I no longer get UTIs and the accompanying "shrinkage factor" I now have more erections than ever. Nothing like hard wood and hanging testicles. What the future holds I can't say.

But on a more serious note.

I believe it's a given that bacterial colonizations and UTIs start at the meatus, incubate and quickly multiply in the urethra and then the heavy bacteria colony travels into the bladder (or is pushed there) on a catheter. This must be the case since there is no difference between the "sterile catheterization procedure" or the "clean catheterization procedure". The bacteria first takes up residence in the outer urethral area and works its way inward. If we can kill the bacteria while it's still not very prolific in the outer urethral area, we can prevent it from getting into the bladder and kidneys. IMHO.

I'm glad to hear that you're open to new ideas. Is there anyway that you can get a clinical study started at your SCI Center based upon my procedure but using the very safe (even on raw, open, diabetic foot ulcers) Microcyn solution instead of the caustic H2O2?

It's manufactured in California by Oculus Innovative Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ:OCLS) but isn't FDA approved here in the US. It's approved for many usages in Canada, Mexico, India and I suppose practically every other country in the world.

Originally posted by Oculus Innovative Sciences, Inc.
                      PETALUMA, Calif., Sep 17, 2007 (BUSINESS WIRE) --

Oculus Innovative Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ:OCLS) announced today that five posters on selected studies assessing the anti-infective nature of Microcyn(R) Technology were accepted for presentation at the 47th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC) at McCormick Place in Chicago, September 17 - 20. ICAAC, a key scientific event, attracts scientists from around the world to discuss important themes and present the newest treatment advances in infectious disease. Oculus Innovative Sciences will also have a presence with a scientific exhibit at booth #554 located in the exhibit hall at McCormick Place/Lakeside Center. The Oculus booth will provide additional information to prospective investigators for its upcoming Phase III trials.

The poster presentations will discuss:

1. Super-Oxidized Solution (SOS) Therapy for Diabetic Foot Ulcers

2. Effects of pH Neutral, Super-Oxidized Solution on Human Dermal Fibroblasts In Vitro

3. The Anti-Viral Efficacy of a New Super-Oxidized Solution

4. The Anti-Bacterial Efficacy of a New Super-Oxidized Solution

5. Activity of a pH Neutral Super-Oxidized Solution Against Bacteria Selected for Sodium Hypochlorite Resistance Bacteria Selected for Sodium Hypochlorite Resistance
                      You may be the Nurse who conquers the whole SCI UTI problem! Wouldn't you be so proud of yourself knowing what a positive contribution you made to the SCI community and of all the pain you prevented from occurring? Not to mention the whole MRSA and VRE near epidemic from the use/overuse of antibiotics.

Thank you for listening.

Bob.
                      "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Originally posted by alpentalic
                        Bob that is one metculous ritual!
                        Hi Alpentalic,

Actually, after a few days it becomes second nature and doesn't take much time at all. But you're right about being meticulous, it only takes one lapse in the procedure to become infected.

Perhaps I am a bit obsessive/compulsive about it. But I don't even think about UTIs anymore... they are a PITA of the past. I just wish we had a less caustic than H2O2, yet inexpensive solution, to use to kill bacteria before it gets into our bladder and perhaps kidneys.

We'll see what happens with this biological Maginot Line. I just wish that someone with the authority and resources would try a clinical study on it. Hey, if I'm proven wrong I'll freely admit it and go about my business. No harm, no foul... if they'd use the reportedly harmless yet effective anticeptic Mycrocyn.

Bob.

PS. We see eye to eye on Televangelist Benny Hinn. I don't hate anyone but he sure comes very close.... as you say, "What a crock". Why are so many, so gullible? Other than the fact that they're so very desperate for help they gravitate towards any hope... no matter how ridiculous or dismal the odds are.

Comment

Bob,

Yr method sounds great for those who cath at home most of the time. But for those like me who cath outside of home 70% of the time( wrok and shit), its quite impossible. I wish there is a much simpler method.

Comment

Originally posted by slider
                            Bob,

Yr method sounds great for those who cath at home most of the time. But for those like me who cath outside of home 70% of the time( wrok and shit), its quite impossible. I wish there is a much simpler method.
                            Hi Slider,

If you're not at home you can just use either sterile gloves to bypass all the handwashing crap or use Purell or Germ-X or other good hand sanitizer. It should contain at least 60% alcohol in it. Purell and Germ-X have 70% I believe. Then put a disposable waterproof chux pad under your scrotum and across your thighs instead of a towel to absorb the excess HP and to hold the urinal in place. When I'm here at home and fully dressed I use a disposable waterproof chux pad and a towel so the HP doesn't get on my jeans and eat away at the zipper. I must have half a dozen fairly new pairs of jeans here with the zippers eaten away. My bad! You can carry a 13 oz. bottle of hydrogen peroxide in a small cathing kit bag. Like one of those fanny packs. I have one under my wheelchair but I usually keep my gun in there. In a pinch I could remove it and use the fanny pack as a cath kit. Those chux pads fold up small.

Also, I was just at my doctor's last week for my 6 month "check up".... you know, I had to touch base with the doctor to get my 6 month prescription of gabapentin. Oh, I left the gun in the trunk of the car. She can piss me off at times and I wouldn't want to be provoked! Just kidding. I told her that the 3200mgs of gabapentin was no longer as effective as it once was so she prescribed some pussy-ass 5/360mgs of Norco/Vicodin. You know, 5mg oxycodone and 360mg acetaminophen. So I was taken off guard not expecting to have to give a blood and urine sample. But I always carry an extra catheter with me just in case the car breaks down or whatever. And I'm never without my Purell when I go out to nasty places like a doctor's office or any other place for that matter. Fuckin' bacteria is everywhere.

Of course my doctor said that the lab would have everything that I needed to catheterize with. Yeah, right. I got in there and they didn't even have a pair of sterile gloves let alone a small packet of sterile K-Y jelly. They had nothing.... not even a "clean towel"! A 14 french catheter.... ah, what's a catheter? Duh. She's a damn physiatrist.

So I just went into the bathroom and washed my hands in their filthy sink and squirted a bunch of my Purell on my hands and a squirt on the head of my dick and catheterized through the Purell. I told 'em if any alcohol showed up in the test that it was their fault, not mine. I hadn't had a drink in months! Actually it had been a couple weeks but why volunteer impertinent information?! Good thing I brought my own bottle of water... I finished that off forthwith and used it to catch the excess urine. Hey, I was gettin' worried... I filled that bad boy right up to the neck along with the sample cup!

So it can be done on the quick without much equipment. Actually I think you could probably get away with just doing it my way once or twice a day. That would probably be enough to keep the bacteria in the outer portion of your urethra at bay. If you're interested, just do it my way when you're at home and see what happens.

We can only do our best.

Good luck Slider,

Bob.

Comment

Cathing outside really puts us in danger. Like u said it, we could get away once or twice doing sloppy cathing in public toilets but you really, really need to be lucky. Anyway went swimming the other day and and cath after that in the public toilet, wham bam...UTI by night time after 3weeks of UTI free. Hehhe...dont make sense at all. Been UTI free 1st 7 years of injury even with "dirty" cathing but nowadays keep getting them. Damn it!!! Ok before anyone says go and do KUB, US, UDS,etc. I did that already and there are no stones or anything of that crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X