Wound VAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wound VAC

has any1 used or been approved for a wound vac. my doctor wants to it befor he does a skin flap. and to i found out the medicaid won't pay for it. my wound is a stage 3 and about 6x5cm big. i hope my spelling is right

Do you have Medicare? They will cover it 80% if you fit their criteria.

The VAC is the trademark name for a Vacuum Assisted Closure wound care treatment that is patented by KCI.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

last week after my rod removal, i had some those hooked to my back. hemovac i think

- I am a bomb technition, if you see me running try to keep up.

- Dont argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

- Some peeps are only alive because its illegal to kill them.
      http://www.adamsmith.name

Comment

no i just have medicaid

Comment

Medicare just recently started paying for the wound vac for home therapy.I will check with my friend who works at KCI. Will probably be Monday.

CWO
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Oh yes we are very familiar with the Vac at our house .... similar scenario as yours ... attempted closure of a pressure ulcer as opposed to flap surgery .... ended up with the flap anyhoo [img]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]! However I believe the Vac to be very effective if you catch the wound in time ... its my understanding the Vac should not be used if there is tunnelling(sp) of the wound or possible osteomylitus (sp) ... Is that right SCI Nurse??? ... Also Bill's Plastic Surgeon informed us that the Vac drains the body of protein big time so be sure to increase - increase - increase your protein intake to balance the good the Vac is doing ... if nothing else it will keep infection at bay while you wait for surgery [img]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img](because it keeps the wound so unbelievably clean) ... it truly is a remarkable piece of technology ! Good luck with it!

Obieone [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]
            ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
            Jane Siberry

Comment

I used one in hsp/rehab but not for sore. From wreck I had a 10" cut in right calf down to the bone. Laid open like a filet. Was on wound vac for ~2.5 months. It did an amazing job of healing. Except for the major scar, most meat/muscle tissue grew back. Hardly any indentation at all. Highly recommend it.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"
              "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

For tunneling you can acutally use the white foam which is more dense than the black foam and can be inserted in to the tunnels.

You can't have the vac if there is osteomyelitis, it won't heal with the osteo. You can have an infection that is being treated.
                There is a new vac that you can actually instill medication in into the wound periodically.

CWO

Comment

wound vac

My case worker at the hospital got in touch with the company and they sent me a machine under a charity program they have. I've had them 3 times already.

Comment

The VAC works incredibly well under the right circumstances. Osteo is the one major contraindication for using it. It does help to keep the area clean and really promotes healing.

CKF

Comment

I had a wound vac to make wound smaller before flap surgery, and it did help.

Comment

i wound up getting a wound on my back last week that the ER thought was a burn, they asked me if i sat on the stove. i said no i don't cook and anyway the 'burn' was due to me taking the back off my wheelchair to wash it so the velcro tension straps dug into my back for a few days. anyway now it's caused some kind of sore which is just getting worse since it's on my lower back there is no way i can stay off of it when in my chair and when i sleep my spasms that go all the way to my hip always toss me on my back so it's a lose-lose. anyway this AM i noticed there was blood on my bed from the damn wound. i'm going back to the ER and maybe they can hook me up w/some sort of wound care. i've never had any sort of wound since my injury in 2004 so i'm kinda concerned. is this something i should be worried about?
                        thanks,
                        kel

Comment

You need to see a regular doctor for wound care.
                          CWO

Comment

Working...
                          X