Treatment for stage 1 pressure ulcer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treatment for stage 1 pressure ulcer

Yesterday, I arrived home (Dallas, Texas) from Central Arkansas for my mother's burial. Last night, I discovered that I had a large bruised areaon my left cheek which is purplish in color and about 2 inches in diameter. Of course, I am staying off it completely until it heals.
    What additional treatment should I use to help this situation.

Originally posted by Don D. 73
    Yesterday, I arrived home (Dallas, Texas) from Central Arkansas for my mother's burial. Last night, I discovered that I had a large bruised areaon my left cheek which is purplish in color and about 2 inches in diameter. Of course, I am staying off it completely until it heals.
    What additional treatment should I use to help this situation.
    just stay off until it looks normal then limit time on it for a while.

Comment

Hi,

YOu likely have put extra sitting pressure on during your trip. Please review the stages of pressure sores in the sticky post at the beginning of this care section. Bruising without breaks in skin can indicate deep tissue injury (DTI).
      Keep the pressure totally off and continue to observe it for any advancing symptoms. I would not massage it or put anything on it at this point.

AAD
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I've had that happen to me several times, after about a week or so it goes away if you stay off it enough as others have said
        Injured:10-16-04
        C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
        Blog:
        http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
        Facebook:
        http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
        Progress:
        http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
        My drawings:
        http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

I have had these to.....I stay off what I can...but being alone you u have to get up to fixed something to eat an pee and other things.....takes like 1 week for me.....with me there warm after a 1/2 hour so I no whats going on then get the mirror and look and see.....also were white underware helps to so you can spot something early.....Art
          Art

Comment

Don, so sorry to hear about your Mom. You are in my prayers. Take care of yourself...

God bless,

Teena

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your advice, and thanks to you in particular, Teena, for your kind words and prayers.
              Today, I will be attending my mother's Memorial service here in Dallas. This means I will be up for two or three hours. Any advice in preparation for being up for that period of time?

Comment

Hi,
                Do pressure reliefs every 15 minutes or as often as you can. Make sure your wheelchair cushion is optimal. Sympathies for your mother.
                AAD
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Don, hope you are doing ok...

Comment

Teena, I'm doing just fine, thanks.
                    I went to my mother's Memorial service Friday, and sure enough, I had almost no chance to do pressure reliefs for the 3 1/2 hour service and reception. The purplish spot was bleeding. Needless to say, I have remained in bed with no pressure on the site at all. After two days of this, it has stopped bleeding and appears to look better.
                    AAD, any suggestions for me at this point?

Comment

I would call my sci doctor...or clinic as they should have someone on call if not go to a sci er....if its bleeding u need pro. help now before its to late......Art
                      Art

Comment

Working...
                      X