Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long do you stay in one position at night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long do you stay in one position at night?

My mattress is foam with a gel overlay. I currently stay in one position for seven hours at a time. I would love to do more. I know it depends on my own skin. I'm just curious

Brian C/5
    http://bspill1.home.comcast.net

I wake up and turn every 2 to 4 hours. I just get uncomfortable. I also take 3am meds and might as well turn over then, since I'm already awake. I don't sleep very well.

To add to this, what is your most comfy sleeping possition? I prefer to sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees. I then flop to my belly or my back when that fails.
    jOE
    www.nwiscig.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm currently on a low air loss mattress, sleep the night on my back. Would like to roll to side now and then, but I keep my feet propped on pillows for heel relief and can't get them repositioned well. How do y'all keep your heels safe?

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"
      "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

I also sleep on my side most of the night. pillow between my knees, under my back, and under my feet to keep heels off bed.

Brian C/5

Comment

your mattress sounds really comfortable. could you describe it in greater detail and where you bought it?

Comment

This is a good topic for discussion.
            Gel mattresses and/or gel overlays are very popular and are good for at those at riskfor developing pressure ulcers. There are numerous ones on the market and are quite affordable. Synergy gel mattress overlay is one.

CWO
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

i was taught while in the hospital to turn every 2hrs and have remained loyal to that lesson. i just have a regular mattress but i'd love to get a memory foam pad or something similar

Comment

I have pretty good skin on the ol back side I lay on my back up to 10 hours on any given night. Some nights I will start out on my side then end up on my back. Im two years post and t-11...

Comment

i have always slept on my right side, i move around alot though. i use a normal matress.
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com
                  c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                  sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

The rehabilitation nurses also started me off on two-hour intervals. Increasing the amount of time would depend on my skin. Convincing my parents to leave me longer than seven hours has been tough. I figured this gel overlay would do the trick. Insurance paid for it, I cannot remember the price or the name. There's only one downside to this gel overlay. Moving around has become more difficult. You kind of sink into the gel. My caregivers have a more difficult time sliding me from side to side.

10 hours. Now that sounds like a good night's sleep.

Brian C/5

Comment

Im always moving and shifting...I fall asleep on my side but im usually on my back when i wake.I only really have spasms when im laying down and ive learned to use them.I hold my breath and push down my stomach and my legs split and almost come right up to my chest.Then when they straighten back out,they almost lift my ass right up off the bed.

~~I reject your reality and substitute my own~~

Comment

We were told to use a regular mattress, so that when we traveled, my son would not have trouble. He lays on his side with pillows in pressure areas for sometimes 9 hrs. No trouble and he is c-5 for 5 years. Is this a problem?

Comment

There is no problem if your son is not getting pressure spots. That is the point really. Your son is doing great actually. A C5 nine hours on a regular mattress. He must have very healthy skin. I do not see the logic in using a regular mattress at home having anything to do with traveling. I've actually been meaning to get a nice foam overlay for traveling.

Brian C/5

Comment

I bought one of those sleep number beds..... wireless remote with two air chambers. I let air out to get into bed and then pump it up to whatever feels most comfortable. I start out on my back and usually last until 12:30 or 1:00. I make sure the side I'm going to turn to has less air so it's like rolling down hill. I'ts also adjustable so I can elevate my feet to control the swelling in my feet from the day.

Comment

I have enough feeling now to know when I have to be turned. The feeling started not too long ago and it's not just nerve pain. Since I've lost muscle mass my bones are now closer to my skin and the pain comes much faster. I sleep better on my sides and my hip starts to burn after about three hours. So turning every three hours along with the pain is too much. I'm on a regular mattress with a pillow top built in but it's just not enough. So I'm going to get a gel or air mattress so I can last longer one one side.

My Dirt Bike Misses Me

Comment

Working...
                              X