Falling asleep while cathing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falling asleep while cathing

My husband went into our son's room early this morning to find him asleep with a full cath bag and tube still in place (also urine everywhere) Apparently he stayed up late and fell asleep while cathing.
    Have any of you done this? I don't know what to think.

I've been cathed and never woke up. What meds is he on?

Comment

He caths himself and fell asleep in the process.

Comment

No offence, but that's funny!.. I can just picture it... hehhe sorry,

I know people who fall asleep mid forkfull of food... But not cathing.. For me, I think I'd be specially aware while "playing" in that region.

What to think....I'd laugh and tell him he's a fool for staying up to late. And make him try to clean it up.

Comment

I've fallen asleep cathing before. Always before I got the catheter all the way in, so no mess, but I still felt strange waking up in seeing what was happening. It hasn't happened since I stopped taking zanaflex at night.

Comment

This happens to me all the time I get the cathader in and start to drain into the urinal and next thing I know I am out like trout, when I wake up I just hope that the cathader is still sticking in side the urinal and not out otherwise it's a mess but I have never had any ill effects from it

Comment

Wow - that is craziness. How old is he? Any chance he was drunk? Cathing is not at all comfortable for me. There's no way in hell I could fall asleep with a mentor stuck up my unit.
              "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

Comment

Sleeping? Or a drop in blood pressure?
                4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Never done it myself but guys in hospital did it several times. I wouldn't worry
                  C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

i've fallen asleep in the pool while doing my aqua therapy and i thought that was bad! he must've been shot for shit.

Comment

In the beginnine I have several times. But they had me on so many drugs.
                      Mary
                      I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
                      Van Morrison

Comment

I've done it many times. I cath through my bellybutton & can't feel it so in the middle of the night I'm more asleep than awake when I cath. Depends on how sleepy I am.

Comment

It sounds to me like it is not an uncommon thing. It is certainly not something I would have thought of before, but it kind of makes sense. I would't worry about it.
                          CKF
                          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I've done it several times. At night I cath in bed, and will drop of for a few seconds, only to jerk awake. When I was more medicated it happened more often. (I have no sensation of the cathing). LUckily, I have always woken before any spills. If he has no sensation, it is really just a waiting geme while the bladder empties. No different really than sitting and waiting on anything else.
                            T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

No- he wasn't drunk or anything! In fact, he hasn't tried drinking since his SCI- It's been almost 2 years - he's 23 now. He is a heavy sleeper and staying up untill 3:00 a.m. must of done it. I was kind of worried about him getting a UTI but so far he's fine.
                              Next time it happens -HE'S CLEANING UP THE MESS!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X