Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inserting suppository....glove or no glove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inserting suppository....glove or no glove?

Does everybody use a glove when inserting their suppository, or do you just insert it ? It seems so hard to hang on to with the lubed up glove!

Use a glove without lube.

Comment

Glove with just a little lube on the tip of the suppos. Like Le Type says though, the lube is probably optional, since those things melt at skin temperature anyway.

Comment

You don't really need the lube, it can delay the effect of the suppository. You can wet it with a little water. Glove is optional.

CWO
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
          You don't really need the lube, it can delay the effect of the suppository. You can wet it with a little water. Glove is optional.

CWO
          thank you kld ,my sis always use gloves and ky lube.if the lube can delay the effect i must tell her and use water for better results regarding bp.

Comment

i use a glove with no lube. i start out by checking whats there first, so theres already some lube 'down there'. then i put on a clean glove to insert the suppositories.

Comment

Originally posted by marielea
              i use a glove with no lube. i start out by checking whats there first, so theres already some lube 'down there'. then i put on a clean glove to insert the suppositories.
              you are lucky guys paras ...i cannot move my fingers or hold a supository...i always need full assistance [help].whitout full assitance i will meet my ancestors soon.dont get me wrong ,but this is the simply true.

Comment

I tried glove no lube....worked good to hold on to suppository, but seemed awful dry inserting finger? Are there some gloves that are more lubricating?

Comment

Did you try dipping the suppository in water or warming it a little in your hands first (with gloves on)??? You can also try putting a little bit of lubricant on you anus before inserting the suppository.

There are suppository inserters you could use Adi. If you have any wrist extension, it is possible for you to use these independently.

Don't even think about doing your bowel care without gloves. Even with good hand washing, it significantly increases your chances of transferring bowel bacteria to your mouth or bladder. We had a patient who did not wear gloves for bowel care and had UTI after UTI with intermittent cath. Once we convinced him to wear gloves for bowel care, his UTIs virtually stopped.

(KLD)
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Don't even think about doing your bowel care without gloves. Even with good hand washing, it significantly increases your chances of transferring bowel bacteria to your mouth or bladder. We had a patient who did not wear gloves for bowel care and had UTI after UTI with intermittent cath. Once we convinced him to wear gloves for bowel care, his UTIs virtually stopped.

(KLD)
                    While I'm sure your advice is excellent I never wear gloves - just wash my hands before and after and use neem salve after BP. I get less than one UTI a year.
                    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
                    J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

I've always used lube while inserting the suppository. However, after reading SCI-Nurse post, I might experiment without in the future.

Comment

Did you try dipping the suppository in water or warming it a little in your hands first (with gloves on)??? You can also try putting a little bit of lubricant on you anus before inserting the suppository.

There are suppository inserters you could use Adi. If you have any wrist extension, it is possible for you to use these independently.

(KLD)
                        kld can you please give me some more info regarding the suppository inserters ?in romania is hard to get the latest equipment and medical tools.[sci related]
                        thank you.

Comment

Here is a new one:

http://www.allegromedical.com/bathro...r-p187053.html

I think that one is easier to use than this one:

http://www.wisdomking.com/product15283c85093.html

You might post a request for a used one on our Equipment Exchange forum. They can be cleaned with bleach solution and safely used by another person.

(KLD)

Comment

Uh yes glove. Ewwww LOL.
                            Blog:
                            Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

thank you kld.i must buy one to see if i can do it.my sis is sick and tired regarding my bowel ,cath daily routine after 5 years and a half.we always argue.

Comment

Working...
                              X