Quad with unexplained bouts with nausea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quad with unexplained bouts with nausea

My son is a C5 Quad. 3 years post and we see all the doctors and have had lots of tests including upper GI and MRI for this problem

About every couple of months he gets sick. He can feel it coming on for a day or so and then he throws up (if he can get it up). Afterwards he feels better but this NEVER happeded prior to his injury and no one has been able to explain it.

What should I do? Who should I ask? Anyone else out there like this?

He has no appetite, and has been put on Reglan and Oxandrine for that, He's got gastritis and takes nexium for it daily.

Any input would be greatly appreciate.
    Cj's Mom

does he have acid reflux? I never knew I had it until I had throat probs after my injury...I have what's refered to as "silent reflux" It typically doesn't bother me, but occasionally will and DOES do the same damage as acid reflux that everyone else can feel all the time...Does he have a good Ear Nose & Throat dr? Also a Gastroenterologist? They could work together to figure out exactly what's going on...

You may want this post moved to the care forum as you may get more responses, especially from the nurses...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

TBurnett , I'm moving this to Care Forum where I think it will get more responses . I hope that is ok .

Thank you ,
      Dogger
      Every day I wake up is a good one .

Comment

Does he have good resuts from his bowel program? No problem with the plumbing??. If constipated/impacted, it can cause nausea.

CWO
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

SCI Nurse

Yes he has adequate bowel results every other day and had a very good one today but still got very sick.

Although, in the past I have noticed that a poor bowel movement has caused this same reaction. Thanks for bringing that up. He has been x rayed for impaction.
          Cj's Mom

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by dogger
            TBurnett , I'm moving this to Care Forum where I think it will get more responses . I hope that is ok .

Thank you ,
            Dogger
            I couldn't find where to put it. Can you tell me where you moved it to?
            Cj's Mom

Comment

reflux

Originally posted by Broknwing
              does he have acid reflux? I never knew I had it until I had throat probs after my injury...I have what's refered to as "silent reflux" It typically doesn't bother me, but occasionally will and DOES do the same damage as acid reflux that everyone else can feel all the time...Does he have a good Ear Nose & Throat dr? Also a Gastroenterologist? They could work together to figure out exactly what's going on...

You may want this post moved to the care forum as you may get more responses, especially from the nurses...
              He has a GI doc and and an upper GI done showing ulcers (he took carafate for) and gastritis and he does have reflux and takes nexium for this. Hadn't thought to involve an ENT doc. What could they do, cuz it's all in his stomach, he burps and feels his food coming back up and usually can swallow it back down. Thanks for your input. Anything is appreciated.
              Cj's Mom

Comment

Has he been tested for an infection.

Comment

Originally posted by tburnett1105
                  He has a GI doc and and an upper GI done showing ulcers (he took carafate for) and gastritis and he does have reflux and takes nexium for this. Hadn't thought to involve an ENT doc. What could they do, cuz it's all in his stomach, he burps and feels his food coming back up and usually can swallow it back down. Thanks for your input. Anything is appreciated.
                  There are disorders involving the throat and esophogas that the ENT can investigatte. Also, the ENT can use a scope and see any damage in his throat/esophogas...from the reflux or other probs...

Has he been testted for Barretts Esophogas?

The ulcers and reflux combined could be the cause of his nausea. The meds he is on may just be the wrong meds and not working. I take Aciphex for my reflux, it's a more expensive, "higher tier" med but it works well for me...I can def tell when I've missed it...

HTH
                  'Chelle
                  L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

infection

Originally posted by Sugarcube
                    Has he been tested for an infection.
                    He's been tested for UTI but I am not sure what type of infection you are asking about. Lots of blood drawn though
                    Cj's Mom

Comment

Originally posted by tburnett1105
                      He's been tested for UTI but I am not sure what type of infection you are asking about. Lots of blood drawn though
                      tburnett,

The gastritis alone can explain his intermittent nausea. Gastritis is of course inflammation of the stomach and its lining. It is irritating and that causes nausea. While H2 receptor blockers such as Nexium does reduce acid production in in the stomach, it does not necessary eliminate the gastritis.

The question is why does your son have gastritis. The reason is because acid secretion and control of bowel movement is a balance between the sympathetic and parasympathetic system. The latter is mediated by the vagus nerve that does not go through the spinal cord. Cervical spinal cord injury, however, can paralyze the latter. The imbalance of activity from the two may be responsible for increased acid secretion. People with cervical spinal cord injury have a high risk of gastric ulcers and gastritis. Nexium should help but one possibility is that he is not taking sufficient dosage.

A second possibility is medication. Some medications can aggravate gastritis.

A third possibiity is that your son may have an infection of Helicobacter Pylori. This is a bacteria that is known to be responsible for gastritis and ulcers. People with spinal cord injury have the risk of developing giant gastric ulcers and this is something that should be ruled out if your son is vomiting blood (Source). H. Pylori infections can be treated with antibiotics. The diagnosis is made with gastroscopy and collecting some samples for culture.

A fourth possibility is stress. There is some truism to the belief that stress causes ulcers. Given the above factors, stress may contribute to the gastritis.

Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young
                        tburnett,

A third possibiity is that your son may have an infection of Helicobacter Pylori. This is a bacteria that is known to be responsible for gastritis and ulcers. People with spinal cord injury have the risk of developing giant gastric ulcers and this is something that should be ruled out if your son is vomiting blood (Source). H. Pylori infections can be treated with antibiotics. The diagnosis is made with gastroscopy and collecting some samples for culture.

Wise.
                        Please ask for a blood sample to be cultured. It can't hurt. If nothing else, it will rule it out. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarcube
                          Please ask for a blood sample to be cultured. It can't hurt. If nothing else, it will rule it out. Good luck.
                          Sugar,

In general, culturing blood samples is only done in the case of sepsis or systemic infections. Blood samples would not detect helicobacter pylori bacteria which live in the stomach and duodenum. They can, however, be cultured from swallowing a something with a sampling strip with a string and then retrieved by pulling the string.

The treatment of H. pylori infection can be done with oral antibiotics. Unfortunately, in recent years, more resistant strains of H. pylori are being found. By the way, one can have gastritis without any other symptoms of reflux, etc. and that shows up just as intermittent nausea and vomitting.

Wise.

Comment

Oops, sorry! Thank you Wise, I stand corrected. Sorry for the mistake, tburnett.

Comment

i had h.pylori 3 years ago ...the 3 antibiotics used to treat me worked .is a combo of antibiotics ,dr.wise knows which ones ...here in europe the meds have diffr.names.
                              treatment for h.pylori.
                              http://www.helico.com/treat_marshall.html
                              Last edited by adi chicago; 4 Aug 2007, 9:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X