MACE operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MACE operation

I went to consult with the doctor about the mitrofanoff surgery and he suggested that I also do the MACE procedure so that I could do my bowel program less invasively(no one sticking a finger up my butt). Is it worth it?

did you get the MACE procedure? i'm considering it, but haven't found much info on people having it with a SCI. thanks!

Comment

I can tell you we don't do it often at all. I am not sure why, other than possibly it becomes more of a procedure than people want to tackle. Couldn't find much either on it's use in people with a SCI.
      CKF
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Did you have the MACE operation? I am considering getting this done and was hoping for an opinion on it. Thanks

Comment

Malone antegrade continence enema (MACE) is a therapeutic option to treat chronic constipation and fecal incontinence in patients with neurogenic bowel.

Before going to the extent of this surgery, have you tried Peristeen by Coloplast?
          https://www.coloplast.us/peristeen-anal-irrigation-system-en-us.aspx

Comment

I have not tried Peristeen. I have heard of it and researched it. I'm trying to get as independent ass possible and would have a hard time inserting it into my rectum. I'm still interested in trying the MACE or the mini ace button. I believe it's 2 separate things. Have you heard anymore about SCI ppl having it successfully/unsuccessfully done?

Comment

My only experience was with one patient who could not get onto a regular bowel program in spite of a lot of work with his health care team, and finally decided to have a MACE done to control his incontinence. Unfortunately after using it for 6 months as recommended, he still was confined to home pretty much due to his ongoing bowel accidents. He opted then to have a colostomy and was very happy with that procedure for several years after that.

The MACE has been done primarily in the spina bifida population rather than the adult SCI/D population. (KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
              X