Watermelon Thigh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watermelon Thigh

Hey all. My thigh looks like a watermelon. It's the right one. I'm not even joking or exaggerating either. It's so swollen that when I got in my chair earlier my leg would not even bend enough to rest on the foot rest. The skin is so tight that it feels like it's going to pop and my knee looks like a beach ball. Also, I was only able to sit in the chair for about a minute before I started feeling really weak and nauseated and had to lie back down. Now I'm just sitting in bed with my laptop but it's at this ridiculous angle for lying across both of my legs because the one is so big. Also, I have been peeing myself all night, even when there is only about 25mL of urine in there, and usually I can hold about 600mL. It's more or less non-stop. What is wrong with me? Take your time, I'll just be here sitting in pee with my watermelon.
    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

OMG ... you better get to the hospital quick. Redness and swelling could be a sign of infection .. too close to the other major organs, being that it's near the hip.

I don't mean to frighten you ... but I'm thinking broken hip or cellulitis infection. You haven't been out in the sun or anything?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Another possibility is a blood clot, but I don;t know if it would get that swollen that quickly. (I am assuming that yesterday it wasn't swollen, since you didnt mention it.) I agree .... you need to get medical attention. This isn;t a wait til monday morning sort of thing.
      T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Janus, I forget the medical term but you may very well have a blockage of a major blood vessel in that leg. If so, the danger is that it may let go and lodge in your brain or heart. This can cause major damage and even rapid deterioration and death.

I echo the posters above in recommending that you get yourself to a hospital ER as soon as possible and I'm not joking.

Steve
        "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
        J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

my leg was red and swollen like that..BLOOD CLOT..i went to the ER..
          JUST GLAD TO BE ALIVE

Comment

Blood clot here as well (also known as DVT, deep vein thrombosis). My leg was swollen, not so much hot or red though, nonetheless it was a large clot. You really need to get swollen legs checked out as soon as possible! Clots can break loose from the legs and find their way to the lungs or brain, bad news! Good luck.

Comment

DVT is a definite possibility, as is cellulitis (an infection of the soft tissue). You also could have a fractured femur. All are problems that occur frequently in SCI, and both should take you immediately, with no delay, to the ER. Do not wait for the weekend. Go NOW!!

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus
                Hey all. My thigh looks like a watermelon. It's the right one. I'm not even joking or exaggerating either. It's so swollen that when I got in my chair earlier my leg would not even bend enough to rest on the foot rest. The skin is so tight that it feels like it's going to pop and my knee looks like a beach ball. Also, I was only able to sit in the chair for about a minute before I started feeling really weak and nauseated and had to lie back down. Now I'm just sitting in bed with my laptop but it's at this ridiculous angle for lying across both of my legs because the one is so big. Also, I have been peeing myself all night, even when there is only about 25mL of urine in there, and usually I can hold about 600mL. It's more or less non-stop. What is wrong with me? Take your time, I'll just be here sitting in pee with my watermelon.
                Hi Janus,

Hopefully you're not here but at the ER or checked into a hospital. My left leg once swelled up as you described but it was after the bone above my knee snapped in two (supracondylar femur fracture) from falling outta my wheelchair. It also turned black and blue. So more than likely you either broke your femur and don't know it or you have DVT. In any event you need immediate medical care.

You're only holding 25mls of urine because your body is trying to tell you that it's in trouble. A type of AD (autonomic dysreflexia) that's making your bladder spasm.

Good luck.... please keep us informed.

Bob.
                "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

I know CareCure is helpful but FFS. If you severed an artery would you sit there posting 'my life is slowly ebbing away, I can't believe the height the arc of spouting blood can achieve, my wife will go mad about the curtains'.

At what point did posting and waiting for an answer seem smarter than going to hospital?
                  C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

Originally posted by RehabRhino
                    I know CareCure is helpful but FFS. If you severed an artery would you sit there posting 'my life is slowly ebbing away, I can't believe the height the arc of spouting blood can achieve, my wife will go mad about the curtains'.

At what point did posting and waiting for an answer seem smarter than going to hospital?
                    I think that's a little unfair. Sometimes people know something's seriously wrong, but the fear of going to hospital is enormous.
                    Some people need to be pushed into it by others...like on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by keps
                      I think that's a little unfair. Sometimes people know something's seriously wrong, but the fear of going to hospital is enormous.
                      Some people need to be pushed into it by others...like on this thread.
                      Sorry, I know I've gone all Tiger Racing . I hate going to hospital too but come on, we're warned about blood clots, DVT etc, it doesn't take a genius to work out that there's something pretty fucking wrong.

Read the original post and symptons again, would you have sat there and posted 'take your time'?
                      C5/6 incomplete

Comment

Way severe Rhino. He had the big leg through the night, posted the OP and hasn't been heard from since...since he probably hied it post hasteto the hospital.

Right Janus?
                        "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
                        J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Oops, I'd missed the "take your time" bit.

Being totally honest, if I had Janus's symptoms, I might well have done the same as them.
                          I mean, when I was having my spinal bleed, the pain in my chest was phenomenal, but it had to carry on for a while before I wanted to go to hospital.

Comment

Fair enough, but everyone else's first reaction before I posted was OMG! GO TO THE HOSPITAL.

We all do different things. Keps, I presume there was a strong element of panic when you had your spinal bleed and you didn't have a clue what to do. Janus was staring at his/her leg about to burst and calmly wondering what to do.

I certainly hope Janus is ok and posts again.
                            C5/6 incomplete

Comment

Easy folks, I checked Janus's profile and it said his last online activity was 5:42pm - or 10 minutes after his original post. So by all means give him the benefit of the doubt. I'd wager he did go to ER and is probably still in hospital being treated.

I posted a thread Tuesday afternoon about leg swelling and painful foot, and if I'd waited for a reply I'd probably be dead already. Turned out I didnt have a DVT, but I DID have cellulitis. Fortunately it was caught pretty early. Both legs were turning red almost up to the knees, which had me, my co-worker (who browbeat me in going to ER, I did stubbornly go to work Tuesday evening as it was a short shift), and the ER doctor rather worried. The big toe pain turned out be GOUT! O the pain! it HURT! (looked every bit as painful as it was, too). NOTHING like having a big needle stuck into the big toe joint to aspirate some fluid. They had to give me what I suspect was some Xanax along with Percocet to calm my nerves down, I was so stressed out (and I like to think I have a very high tolerance for pain)! Twitching and jerking everytime the nurse touched me. Thankfully I'm better now and somewhat alert. Woulda posted yesterday afternoon but I think I was still a bit looped.

I'm AB, stubborn about things like this (I'll suffer for a long long time instead of taking even so much as a single Tylenol or aspirin), although I had pretty much decided to go since I have a previous DVT history (last summer with a PICC line placement, arm swole up and turned back/blue all over). Pretty amusing scene in hindsight - held up arm and asked the doc "this look normal to you?" Doc (actually the PA) said "uh, let me get back to you on that, all right?"

Let's hope Janus is well and gets back to posting, too!

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X