Alternative to oxybutynin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to oxybutynin?

My urologist has advised me to increase my oxybutynin from 10 mg to 20 mg per day because of high bladder pressure. I wasn't really crazy about the idea, especially after reading about the effects of oxybutynin on memory. He suggested that I try Vesicare and prescribed a 5 mg daily dose. It wasn't working well for me, even after two weeks. I was having several accidents every day. I have switched back to oxybutynin ER and I'm taking two 10 mg pills a day.

Has anyone tried Vesicare or one of the other alternatives with any success? I'm now 53 years old and I really would like to keep my brain cells (or what's left of them) working in top form.
    Last edited by Brian S; 19 Jun 2007, 8:37 PM.

Hi,

If you search carecure under Vesicare you will get many responses.
    Here is one post that may answer your question:
    /forum/archive/index.php/t-9407.html

AAD
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Brian-
      I take Sanctura instead of Ditropan and it works WONDERFULLY for me...I've posted about it quite a number of times, but if you have specific questions feel free to ask...
      'Chelle
      L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Maybe it was just a dosage issue with the Vesicare. I will talk to my urologist about the dosage or other alternatives. For people out there using Vesicare, what dosage are you taking?

Comment

Brian there have been no reports I can find about Ditropan XL and memory. I was upped to 20 mg maybe 8 years ago from 10 also. It wasn't until my insurance, Goddess luv 'em, decided Oxybutynin ER was the same exact thing I had problems and found that report from Georgetown on memory. It costs me more but I am back on the brand name. I am trying to find more info on the generic before having a discussion with BC/BS and Tricare. Now Valium/diazapam and memory is something else...
          Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton
            Brian there have been no reports I can find about Ditropan XL and memory. I was upped to 20 mg maybe 8 years ago from 10 also. It wasn't until my insurance, Goddess luv 'em, decided Oxybutynin ER was the same exact thing I had problems and found that report from Georgetown on memory. It costs me more but I am back on the brand name. I am trying to find more info on the generic before having a discussion with BC/BS and Tricare. Now Valium/diazapam and memory is something else...
            To my knowledge, oxybutynin ER and Ditropan XL are identical. I had switched to the generic to save money.

I found an interview with Dr. Gary Kay on the topic of oxybutynin and short-term memory loss. If you do a Google search for oxybutynin blood brain barrier, it should be the second or third link on the page. Look for "OAB Drugs and Cognition: Expert Interview With Dr. Gary Kay" (I tried setting up a link to this webpage but somehow it gets redirected to a secure login page for Medscape.com.)

Comment

http://www.medscape.com/index/section_2480_0 I think this may skirt the hang up. It's article 2 and as he also presented this in New Zealand he notes it's the generics. The molecule size is interesting though.
              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

The link works. And generics are not always identical especially the inert ingredients.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton
                  The link works. And generics are not always identical especially the inert ingredients.
                  Thanks, Sue. I'll ask my doctor about the difference between oxybutynin and Ditropan.

Comment

Brian, If you haven't already done so, do a search on intravesicular ditropan (i.e., ditropan/oxybutynin solution instilled directly into the bladder rather than taken orally) which has been discussed here countless times.
                    stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Yes, I've seen the posts. If I could do the procedure myself, I would probably go for it. My wife is my caregiver and she already has enough on her plate. Plus, it would be inconvenient to do at work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                      X