I feel like crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like crap

I woke up this morning around 3:00 a.m. with chills. Stayed in bed until around 10 oclock when the chills and fever started coming down.

I sent a urine sample to the lab to have a urinalysis done. Leucocytes came back in the 7-10 range, which is a little high for me but I have never had chills like this with leucocytes in that range. I am having a culture done but it wont be ready for three days or so.

About a month ago I started using a foley cath occasionally at night to sleep better. I have used it with a bellybag and cleaned it with bleach as per recommendations here.

I do not have a stuffy nose, sore throat or anything that would indicate common cold. Urine looks clear and smells normal.

I still feel like crap. Is anyone here symptomatic with leucocytes at 7-10? What does anyone recommend me to do?
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

No advice for you, but I hope you get better soon.

Comment

No matter how well you take care of a foley, it is a natural breeding ground for bacteria. I would push the fluids, especially H2O and treat the fever. Get plenty of rest. Depending on your bladder management, you might also want to make sure that the bladder is not retaining any fluids, by cathing yourself every 4-6 hours.
      You also might have a virus of some sort- however, I would bet on the UTI. No matter what it is, tthe fluids and tylenol should help you to feel a little bertter.
      CKF
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I hope you feel better too!

Comment

I would NOT 'treat' a fever. It is the bodies natural response to ramp up the immune system to fight whatever ails you. IF it gets really high, then lower it. otherwise, why weaken the bodies immune response?

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

i know what your problem is.....taking a foley IN and OUT for overnight-only use.

then a day or so later, sticking in another foley (or same one?...doesnt matter).

id get a UTI too if i played musical chairs with a foley cath.

to get rid of the UTI take a mega-dose of Vitamin C.

Comment

foley in and out is no different than IC

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

If you start feeling worse, if that fever starts to spike, hit the e.r. You don't want a kidney infection.

Did your doc start you on broad spectrum abx to try and head it off before the culture returns? My doctor does in an effort to knock it out earlier, to keep it (and me) from getting worse. He's usually dead on with what he prescribes.

Feel better soon, Motoman.

Comment

Appreciate everyone´s responses.

I pretty much rested yesterday for most of the day, had a better night but still had strong chills again around 3 or so. Woke up feeling much better.

Still no cloudy or smelly urine, culture not back yet from lab.

I am taking nitroforintuin (sp.), one pill a day for 7 days while I wait for the results.

My last UTI was last june. So I am kind of hoping it is a 24 hour bug or something.

Comment

Cap,
                    I'm with you on the fever thing. I first noticed this with my daughter. She had an excellent pediatrician who was not prescription or "med" happy. She advised me not to treat the fever unless it hit 101 and I usually held out for 101.5, unless she seemed miserable. She got rid of common viruses and bacteria MUCH faster than when I was "Tylenol happy" I would never advocate any one letting a fever get too high, but as Cap said - fever serves a purpose. The elevated temperature denatures the proteins and keeps the bugs from multiplying (or some such medical mumbo jumbo). To each their own, just my own two cents and something I swear by.

Comment

Most of the time when adults have a fever, they feel pretty rotten (not that kids don't, but they handle them differently). I made the assumption that since pramato said that he felt like "crap", that the fever probably wasn't helping him feel any better. That is why I recomended that he take some tylenol. I do agree that you can go to at leat 100.5 if you feel semi-ok, but while a fever is telling you something, you also don't want to let it get to high.
                      CKF
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Just went through something close. I have aleries, the wind was high and bunchs of pollen. Spent 2 days with going to sleep cold, turning into way to hot and kissing 2 days sleep good bye. (Think UTI, keep drinking like nuts, and pop a asprin and sutifed.) Slept like a baby. Hay Fever, does include a fever, adults do do well, even with low grade fevers. I only ask for a script if I bust the 101 degree mark for a bit. Hey, if it hit 103, and your lucky like me, get get "free" trips. (Not going to tell my last fever trip as that stuff makes acid look normal.)

Comment

Well, what can I say? It so happens that when I called the lab about my culture results they told be that they forgot to turn in the request for a culture. I turned in a second sample yesterday, the leucocytes went down to 5-7 range which is very normal for me and not indicative of infection, urine is still clear and smell free.

But, I still get chills, some temperature and overall just not feeling right. And I am having low volume accidents, with output less than 200cc many times and most of the time within 2 or 3 hours of my last cath, this does indicate infection to me (chills, temperature and much more frequent episodes of incontinence.

I haven´t been able to get hold of my doctor today. I am still taking nitrofurintoin (sp.), but not a culture sensitive proven antibiotic, if what I have is a UTI.

I do not feel as bad as a couple of days ago, but the freaking bug is still bugging.

Comment

Besides a UTI, you may have stones irritating that bladder. However, your symptoms sound more like a UTI.
                            CKF

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
                              Besides a UTI, you may have stones irritating that bladder. However, your symptoms sound more like a UTI.
                              CKF
                              I had an ultrasound on my kidneys and bladder done a couple of months back. It is possible, but I feel it is a UTI. The culture is supposed to be ready tomorrow.

I spoke to my urologist yesterday. He put me on cipro, two a day, 500 mg. I feel a little better already and have had no leaking since 10 p.m. last night (12 hours), where I was leaking every couple of hours before that.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X