Reoccuring UTI every 2 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reoccuring UTI every 2 months

I have gone from using Noroxin to Cypro to now Tobrimycin injections for infections, I am becoming more sensitive to meds each time I have an infection and am beginning to worry. What does everyone else do to cut down on infections?? I was hoping once the indwelling was out it would be better.

I know self cath since Mitrofinoff,post 3 months but have had 2 infections.

I drink 8-10 glassess water, tried cranberry pills, I take Mandelamine mandelate 4x a day. I clean the catheters with liquid soap,let dry and pee into a cup and wash that too with liquid soap. I wipe stoma area with a huggies wet one before and after.

What am I doing wrong that infections still persist? Does anyone put the clean cath into the opening of the lubricant is this my problem, I am at a loss, any ideas?.

Hi,

When I did intermittent cathing I also got UTI's that often. But I didn't become resistant to the meds.Now I have an indwelling and haven't had a UTI since. I don't think it's that though, as I started on D-Mannose at the same time I got the Foley. At first I took it every 2-3 hours a teaspoon, now I take a maintenence dose of 1tsp in morning and 1tsp at night. No UTI in two years. THAT is the longest ever for me.
    Do a search for D-Mannose and you'll find all kinds of info on it.

RIver

Comment

You mean you stick the catheter into the tube? That could be the problem. Why don't you try the little packets instead of the tube? I assume you stick the cath in because you can't squeeze it?

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
      ~ Anon
      Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

try that uroquid stuff, some swear by it
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I stick the catheter in the tube and I have only had one UTI this year.

Comment

When you figure it out, please let the rest of us know! Eating and drinking as well as general cleanliness are important factors for your body to be able to fight off the relentless attack of those incessant bugs. However, I don't know about other people, but if I'm stressing, I'm getting an UTI.

Comment

What is uroquid? pill form?
              Originally posted by fuentejps:

try that uroquid stuff, some swear by it

Comment

The little packets are difficult for me to open I would need scissors to do it, to buy the packets I think would be pretty expensive. Where do you get your from? I can squeeze the tube but the lube goes back in before I can get my lube on catheter. We did have some that didn't do that but they have been out of stock for 2 months now.Can't seem to get it in.
                Originally posted by Emi:

You mean you stick the catheter into the tube? That could be the problem. Why don't you try the little packets instead of the tube? I assume you stick the cath in because you can't squeeze it?

~ Anon

Comment

Originally posted by ibi:

The little packets are difficult for me to open I would need scissors to do it, to buy the packets I think would be pretty expensive. Where do you get your from? I can squeeze the tube but the lube goes back in before I can get my lube on catheter. We did have some that didn't do that but they have been out of stock for 2 months now.Can't seem to get it in.
                  Originally posted by Emi:

~ Anon
                  Ah I see, you can't open the packets with your teeth eh? I don't know how expensive they are. Hmmm, what abot having someone squeeze some into a Ziplock or something you can open?

~ Anon
                  Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

Have you had recent urodynamics? A common cause of recurrent infections is a high pressure bladder, and only urodynamics can tell you your pressures. Have you had tests for stones or bladder diverticuli? These can lead to recurrent infections as well.

How often do you cath, and for what amounts? Cathing too infrequently or having large volumes also makes you more likely to have UTIs.

Are your antibiotics reserved for only true infections and not just positive cultures? Are they always based on a sensitivity test and not just a shot-gun approach using a big-gun antibiotic?

I also do not recommend poking your catheter into a big tube of lubricant if you reuse catheters. Instead, squeeze a little out onto your thigh or a paper towel, and run the catheter through it.

(KLD)
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I had a urodynamics done in March my first one ever. Before they would do the Mitrofanoff I had to have it done. My pressure was high but I don't know the number, the Dr. just said I would be a good candidate for the Mitrofanoff, so I proceeded with an augmentation & Mitrofanoff. My infectections are true infections and based on the sensitivity is what Dr. perscribes. What I have now is psuedomean or something like that. I am on muscle injections of Cephalosporins 2x a day. I cath every 3 hrs and my volumes are usually 300-350cc.At night it is different I cath at 11:00 and I don't wake up till 3 or 4 to cath again my volume is usually between 300-400cc but I am always wet from bypassing.

What is bladder diverticuli? How are these tests done? Wondering if the can do it here or if I need to go to a larger center like I had to for Urodynamics.
                      Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

Have you had recent urodynamics? A common cause of recurrent infections is a high pressure bladder, and only urodynamics can tell you your pressures. Have you had tests for stones or bladder diverticuli? These can lead to recurrent infections as well.

How often do you cath, and for what amounts? Cathing too infrequently or having large volumes also makes you more likely to have UTIs.

Are your antibiotics reserved for only true infections and not just positive cultures? Are they always based on a sensitivity test and not just a shot-gun approach using a big-gun antibiotic?

I also do not recommend poking your catheter into a big tube of lubricant if you reuse catheters. Instead, squeeze a little out onto your thigh or a paper towel, and run the catheter through it.

(KLD)

Comment

Ibi,

So you had the recommended procedure done and you still are experiencing recurring UTIs?

That is EXACTLY why I didn't have one done. The urologist who performed my urodynamic test wanted me to have some type of augmentation done because he said I had a high pressure bladder.

The urologist who performed the urodynamic test is the one who STARTED these recurring UTIs. Up until the test I had a handful of UTIs in 11 years of SCI (as I have reported on CC before). A few days AFTER the test I got a terrible UTI. I was on heavy antibiotics for 2 weeks. This is when all the problems started. I had recurring UTIs for over 5 years.

I went 9 months without getting another this past year. It seems I have things somewhat under control. I began taking ImmunAssure (made by Schiff) and it has seemed to help. All the antibiotics shot my immune system to hell. The aformentioned product builds it back up and maintains a healthy immune system.

I recently have had two low grade infections (no fever or overall sickeness). Hopefully I can once and for all get them under control. I will only do augmentation as a last resort.

-ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete

Visit me at Kev's Korner and sign my Guest Book.
                        -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

Comment

i had a mitrofanoff about 2.5 yrs ago and my uti rate (so far about 1-2/yr) is way down. i use clean cath technique. you should never let the cath touch the lube tube. always squeeze it off on to something else (finger, etc) and use that to lube cath.

you may be taking antibiotic when you shouldn't. i'm certain on any given day, you could do a ua/c&s on me, give it to a urologist, and they would say antibiotics are necessary even though i feel fine. hence the crucial difference between colonization and infection.

with augmentation you now have unsterile bowel tissue as part of your bladder; you'll probably NEVER have a "non-sci like" normal ua/c&s test again.

my advice is to take a breath, relax, make sure you only take antibiotics when everything indicates so and pay attention to cath technique. the more you stress out over this, the more your immune system will suffer and predispose you even more. uti is inevitable, you just want to keep the rate down and treat it effectively.

Comment

IBI, i know someone in your fair town who might help you.I was in RD today .If you drop me a Email I'll put you in touch with her.murreyhall@hotmail.com

Comment

After using a catheter tube I wash it with antibacterial soap and rinse completely before storing in a fold-lock sandwich bag for the next use.

Next time I need to cath I wash up then squirt some Surgilube into the bag and drag the catheter tube through it. It provides enough lubricant to take care of needs and keeps everything pretty sanitary. When out and about I use a fresh cath tube and individual Surgilube packets. I wait till I get home to clean those tubes. Don't feel that public restrooms are clean enough.

I have only been out of the hospital for 13 months, but haven't had a single UTI.

imnomis

Comment

Working...
                              X