Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

teeth damage: what's up with my teeth all of a sudden

cracking?
    I must have had 6 teeth crack within the past 2 mos.
    medication at fault, dry mouth?
    i'm freaking out!

have you taken the pain medication, "Actiq"? With 2 grams of sugar, this cannot be good. In my Actiq boxes, there are warnings about practicing good oral hygeine while using these.

Comment

i was wondering if it was just me. same thing with mine. i've had about 3 chip off an are just plain rottening. i've always brushed my teeth twice a day and have never had any probs til a couple of years now. if my front ones start goin i'ma have to do like van damn an get em all pulled an get falsies.

dunno if it's cause i can't brush as thoroughly bein quad or what. i think it was chelle who mentioned that neurontin i think.....causes cavities. i've been taking it every since injury/6 yrs. other ppl have said it's probly med related also.

Comment

Might be a symptom of diabetes? My brother's teeth look like a meth-head (of which he is definately not).

You're more at risk with SCI, because of the sedentary situation.
        Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Dry mouth

Do you take ditropan? Ditropan causes dry mouth, dry mouth=less saliva to battle plaque, plaque=cavities.
          My 2 pennies.
          Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

Comment

I had no serious dental problems pre-injury. But I went to the dentist recently and my mouth was a complete wreck. I have multiple cavities and cracked teeth, including two of my molars which are literally disintegrating in my mouth. Even a gentle tooth brushing causes pieces of the the molars to break off.

Like rollin64 I thought it might be due to the fact that my teeth are not getting brushed properly anymore. But my dentist and I sat down and went over my medications. He said that at least two, possibly three, of the medications I am are known to cause an alteration in the saliva's composition and "dry mouth". He thinks that is the reason for the fast rate of tooth decay. I am now trying to work with my other doctors to find some alternatives to these medications. But the damage is done and I am looking at multiple appointments to prevent the rest of my teeth from falling apart.

Another one of the hidden joys of spinal cord injury for me

Comment

Originally posted by orangejello
              But my dentist and I sat down and went over my medications. He said that at least two, possibly three, of the medications I am are known to cause an alteration in the saliva's composition, as well as "dry mouth".
              After seeing the same dentist for many years, he has come to this solution, which seems to be working...

First, he told me that I should find an alternative to ditropan. I told him that wasn't going to happen, as I had tried that before and nothing worked as well as it does.

Dry mouth, from ditropan, which is my biggest addiction since I'll pee my pants without it (5mg/3xday), is a major cause in tooth decay. Tooth decay can be reversed if caught before it breaks through the first layer of your teeth. He made me floride trays that fit my mouth and I wear them about 5 minutes every other day or so. It has strengthened my teeth and reversed two problem decay areas.

It might be worth looking into for you?

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
              - Barack Obama

Comment

Similar problem here - Carolyn's mouth is always dry due to the pain meds, so she's continually sipping water. A big chunk of a molar just fell off a couple of weeks ago for no apparent reason. No pain. Her dentist told her last year that he often sees rapid tooth deterioration after serious operations.
                We might ask him about this fluoride tray thing, thanks, friend Flicka.
                - Richard

Comment

synthetic saliva works. you can get it at the pharmacy. use it between brushing, in addition to drinking water constantly, to keep your mouth moist.

the pretend saliva sounds gross, but it's not so bad. it's a big improvement over dry mouth, will help prevent tooth decay.

smoking is rough on your gums, can make you more prone to dental woes and decay. also, sticky foods are generally bad for teeth as these can be harder to remove with brushing. sugar's obviously just a bad idea.

if you're prone to grinding your teeth at night due to pain (or stress or both), check with your dentist for a bite blocker. she/he can make a mold from your teeth, custom make a small, flexible guard for you wear to sleep. i have one. it helps.

there are less expensive, generic ones you can get, too.

my dentist gets onto me for using my teeth as tools. however, i use my mouth to do certain things independently. haven't found a solution for that one. ::shrug::

Comment

Also, with regards to those who have received payouts or might go through Veterans Affairs, I made another claim some years back once it was proven that Ditropan was causing tooth decay and now all my dental work is covered by Veterans Affairs. Just something that might be relevant to some people here.

Comment

Originally posted by flicka
                      Tooth decay can be reversed if caught before it breaks through the first layer of your teeth. He made me floride trays that fit my mouth and I wear them about 5 minutes every other day or so. It has strengthened my teeth and reversed two problem decay areas.

It might be worth looking into for you?
                      Thanks flicka. My dentist didn't bring up these trays as a possible solution but I will ask at my appointment next week.

Comment

I was actually surprised that my dentist gave me so much information about tooth decay. I guess he's decided to help me fight to keep my teeth rather that just fill them. He also said rinsing with listerine 2xday helped keep the germs that cause plaque at bay.

Topical fluoride comes in a number of different forms. Gels and foams are placed in fluoride trays and applied at the dental office after your child's teeth have been thoroughly cleaned. Fluoride varnish is one of the newer forms of topical fluoride applied at the dentist office. It has been documented to be safe and effective to fight dental decay through a long history of use in Europe.
                        The advantages of varnish are:

Easily and quickly applied to the teeth.
                        Decreases the potential amount of fluoride digested.
                        Continues to "soak" fluoride into the enamel for approximately 24 hours after the original application.
                        This method is especially useful in young patients and those with special needs that may not toleratefluoride trays comfortably.

Children who benefit the most from fluoride are those at highest risk for dental decay. Riskfactors include a history of decay, high sucrose carbohydrate diet, orthodontic appliances andcertain medical conditions such as dry mouth.website
                        This is basically the idea behind fluoride trays. It's really been a life-saver for me so far! Since I'm allowed to do it at home, on my own, I guess he's decided I won't poison myself with it.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
                        - Barack Obama

Comment

Hi,
                          I have heard that about baclofen. I have also included a post on the problems with energy drinks and soda which may apply.
                          /forum/showthread.php?t=68844

AAD
                          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I've had horrible problems with my teeth especially since I was on my painkillers. I had to get almost all of my molars pulled out and several of my other teeth have fallen apart, too, and my insurance doesn't pay for dentures or crowns and bridges which is what I really want and I can't afford dentures on my own. Nowadays, I'm very self-conscious when I smile which is a real pain when you're single.
                            C-5/6, 7-9-2000
                            Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

My teeth went to hell shortly after my accident almost 10 years ago.It got to the point that there was just too many cavitys and broken teeth to fix.I am on all the meds listed in the posts,but i put most the blame on the Ditropan or Oxybutynin.I also started grinding my teeth about 5-6 years ago,it might be just keeping my teeth clenched?,who knows.Anyways i look like some crack head now.It's embarrassing to smile,so i try and hide my mouth or not smile.Just another added perk to the damm injury.Whats amazing is how little if any toothache pain i have.

Comment

Working...
                              X