Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOT w/c cushions!!!! @#$#!*!!?!!?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HOT w/c cushions!!!! @#$#!*!!?!!?

    ft pwc user, can't transfer, can't lift myself, sit in pwc 13 hrs straight!! what can i do to lessen moisture on my bum? (already shaved, use powder, blow dryer after bath). the heat rashes have already started and it is only in the 70's here.

    my cushion is hot (Jay2) so i put a thin cottom sheet over the cushion cover, didn't help. tried a cotton towel, nada. (i am mostly housebound, so no underwear and don't sit on my gown but instead sit directly on the towel.)

    would sheepskin help? any tips or ideas? are some cushions cooler than others? is this just one more thing i have to just deal with?

    aaarrrggghhh!!!!

  • #2
    i have a stimultie honeycomb cushion that has good circulation to help prevent the dreaded "swamp ass".

    since you're homebound, maybe hook up a fan pointed at your seat?
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

    Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by cali
      i have a stimultie honeycomb cushion that has good circulation to help prevent the dreaded "swamp ass".

      since you're homebound, maybe hook up a fan pointed at your seat?
      i've actually tried that.

      i tilt back with a fan sitting on the desk in front of me. 'i' freeze but my butt stays hot cause air can't get under there or my thighs and i am unable to lift my legs so it can.

      does your cushion prevent it? do you think a sheepskin cover would help? wonder if those cushions that you pump up with air would be cooler?

      thanks for the prompt reply.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by PwMS
        wonder if those cushions that you pump up with air would be cooler?
        Rohos? No, they're no cooler than a Jay. A Stimulite would be your best bet.

        (I've used all three)

        Comment


        • #5
          "Swamp ass"? Eww!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PwMS
            i've actually tried that.

            i tilt back with a fan sitting on the desk in front of me. 'i' freeze but my butt stays hot cause air can't get under there or my thighs and i am unable to lift my legs so it can.

            does your cushion prevent it? do you think a sheepskin cover would help? wonder if those cushions that you pump up with air would be cooler?

            thanks for the prompt reply.
            i'm not sure sheep skin would be the best bet for you because i think it would help keep heat in. but it may wick away the moisture being it's wool. the stuff is good for pressure sore prevention i hear.

            my cushion does help promote circulation.

            this is the cushion i have:
            http://www.supracor.com/medical/classic_cushion.htm

            this is a description of its advantages and desgin:
            http://www.supracor.com/medical/tota...management.htm

            here's a link to the roho website:
            http://www.therohogroup.com/medical/seatcushions.jsp

            and here's a link to help you find a roho cushion best suited to your needs:
            http://www.therohogroup.com/medical/...07CDToWeb.html
            Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

            Frank's blog:
            http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
            My regular blog:
            http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Sheepskin may actually make the heat worse. It doesn't let the air circulate and also may impact the pressure relieving part of the cushion. How do you do pressure reliefs?
              CKF
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

              Comment


              • #8
                thanks!!!

                thanks everyone!!! i appreciate your help.

                CALI -- i willl for sure check out your cushion. thanks for posting the very informative links!

                swamp ass? that is a perfect description. think it could be related to my home below?

                thanks again!

                Comment


                • #9
                  no problem bud, just doin my job
                  Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

                  Frank's blog:
                  http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
                  My regular blog:
                  http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    stimulite here too. There really are no other options that are good IMHO

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by PwMS
                      thanks everyone!!! i appreciate your help.

                      CALI -- i willl for sure check out your cushion. thanks for posting the very informative links!

                      swamp ass? that is a perfect description. think it could be related to my home below?

                      thanks again!
                      that looks like a scene from the movie "Gator", lol.

                      i just bought a used stimulite classic to see how it feels. actually feels okay but it's awfully hard on my boney butt. i'm used to a jay2 but i'ma keep tryin the stimulite since a buncha ppl say they're good.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The stimulite sort of breaks in. They feel hard at first but get softer with use. I am just super careful and watch my ass closely.

                        I of course am no expert but it seems to me that my ass was more prone to breakdown before the stimulite because of heat and wetness. The stimulite breaths and my ass dries out.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I agree with Stimulite

                          Hi from another PwMS. I have used a Jay J2 Deep Contour, a ROHO Quadtro high-profile, and a Supracor stimulite contoured cushion.

                          I am currently using the Stimulite cushion, and I agree with the others. The Stimulite works the best for me for staying dry.

                          If you are in your wheelchair for that many hours a day, you might want to look at the XS version.

                          Steve

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by steeeve
                            Hi from another PwMS. I have used a Jay J2 Deep Contour, a ROHO Quadtro high-profile, and a Supracor stimulite contoured cushion.

                            I am currently using the Stimulite cushion, and I agree with the others. The Stimulite works the best for me for staying dry.

                            If you are in your wheelchair for that many hours a day, you might want to look at the XS version.

                            Steve
                            do you mean this one?
                            Supracor Stimulite® Classic XS Cushion Sling Bottom

                            will a sling bottom fit on a pwc's metal cushion pan? why do you recommend the classic xs over the plain classic?

                            wow!!! "you look so good" (there's that DREADED saying that so many PwMS hate to hear!!! lol) you must work out.

                            do you use a manual wc ft? how do you do it with having nerve fibre fatigue? i applaud you!! maybe if i used a manual wc too i wouldn't look like the wicked witch of the east? lol (my ms is far too advanced to use a manual wc, 9 - 9.5 on the edss).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              thanks to the latest posters. looks like a stimulite is the only way to go!

                              'have visa will charge'


                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X