OMG still night time leaking -Dr won't help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG still night time leaking -Dr won't help

I can't believe this! They sent Michael home with detrol (already tried that) and Levsinex and he still leaks but only when he lays down. He has tried Ditropan oral and injected into bladder, and detrol. I am so mad because they won't give him anything else. The doctor told him it's "weird" that he only leaks when he sleeps. He thinks it is just when he sleeps and doesn't think it has to do with laying down?? They did an ultrasound and the bladder test (can't remember the name) and he can hold plenty. In the day he can go 4 hours without cathing.

This is just so frustrating. Even the urologist was no help. Kaisers only approved drug is Ditropan so it is a miracle they left him try detrol or the Levsinex.

Keep in mind he was an inpatient for the past 3 weeks and they didn't bother to try any other meds!! They sent him home with .375 Levsinex Detrol LA 4mg 1x daily.

We want to go to an outside doc and maybe try Enablex or Sanctura but are they all pretty much the same? Will it be a waste of money. I know your kidneys make more at night but his bladder should be able to hold more. He didn't drinka drop for 4 hours before he went to bed, cathed then leaked an hour and a half later.....

Have you tried Vesicare?

Comment

Has the doc ever suggested trying Imipramine?

Comment

CC - My husband leaked till we got him on cocktail of Ditropan xl 15 mg once a day and imipramine 2x a day 25 mg. Was the only thing that worked for him.

Comment

Kaiser won't give us Vesicare. You mentioned how good it was for you, but nope, they won't prescribe. Maybe that is the first thing to ask for at a private doc. Does medi-cal cover it? WE get that in about a month.

Yea, Imipramine was worthless......

Comment

It may be time to use a condom cath into a bag at nite if his urodynamics are ok.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopperChick
              Kaiser won't give us Vesicare. You mentioned how good it was for you, but nope, they won't prescribe. Maybe that is the first thing to ask for at a private doc. Does medi-cal cover it? WE get that in about a month.

Yea, Imipramine was worthless......
              i have had kp med ins for 30 years. anytime the normally prescribed formulary med doesn't work and i want to try a non-formulary med, i just let the dr. know. i then ask him to complete a form that allows me to obtain the non-formulary med. the form states that a it is medically necessary too. so far, i have never been denied.

does your specific plan allow you to use community or out of network doctors? call your member servces office to find out before you pay out of pocket.

good luck.

Comment

What's the volume cathed after finding the leak? Also keep in mind that volume is one thing, speed which that volume is reached is another with a bladder on autopilot. But the important thing is how much is cathed post-leak discovery, that will give you (and us) a better idea of if this is a medication issue or a water retention issue that is solved when being horizontal.

Comment

My worker's comp. pays for all my medication. If you can get Vesicare,
                  i'd highly recommend it. Maybe your urologist or primary Dr. could give
                  you some samples to try.

Comment

Just one a day? Does he take only ie down at night? Does he take it 30 minute to an hour before he lies down. It only lasts 5-8 hours.

CWO
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Do his feet swell?
                      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Sometimes his Feet swell

but not really. We have been dealing with this since July of last year. We have asked the dr.'s over and over for help, but detrol, ditropan over and over. The imipramine didn't work and Michael hosptail/rehab stay was the last of our insurance. He said they would actually get him up once and sometimes 2 times a night to change the bed and still they kept with the stupid ditropan. Then they went to detrol and I about lost it. I called up pissed. Don't they read your record? Didn't they know detrol didn't work. So they did the levsinex (sp?) For a week and sent him home with 2 months worth. Oh ya, and they gave him one condom cath.

So, sad but true, no more Kasier. Waiting on medi-cal.... At least he got some good PT these past few weeks. Hoping to start up on Kaiser through some kind of program but not Cobra since it was $1350 a month!!

They say to take bladder meds every 12 hours so no, it isn't always 1/2 hour before bed. Maybe he should moniter that more closely.....

It sort of seems like when he starts a new bladder med it works for like 2 days then bac to leaking. The imipramine worked for a couple of days I remember the first dry night!!

Comment

Ok, but what are the volumes? I could load up on my stash of ditropan before hitting the sack, but if I'm pushing 600+ before I cath, guess what?

Comment

After a leak the volume is about 200.... Normally every 4 hours in the day 3-400

Comment

Dear ChopperChick,
                              I had a problem similar to your's. For several years now, I take 2 0.2 mg tablets of DDAVP (Desmopressin) at bedtime. DDAVP is a synthetic anti-diueretic hormone. I would always produce more urine at night causing major hassles to get up and cath. I believe it comes in a nasal spray as well. No more unexpected urinating at night. Definately worth asking about.

M.

Comment

Working...
                              X