Tightest Hip Flexors on the PLANET!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tightest Hip Flexors on the PLANET!!!!

First I'm from the south so Hi Ya'll. Then a brief bio... I am para stabilized T8 to L3. Post injury 11months. Burst fracture at L1 with 80% compression at that level. All due to the worst landing ever in 21 years of flying. (I used to say any landing you can walk away from is a good one . I now say any landing you can roll away from after a year of rehab is a good one LOL). Shepherd Center Alumni.

My hip flexors have got to be in the running for tightest ever. Yes I stretch. Everyday. I have a little motor control movement in my left leg (thigh). Right after the accident it started becoming evident my hip flexors were tight and it has only gotten worse since life in the chair became the normal mode of ambulation. Most of the pain I endure is centered around my hips and upper legs. I have sensation to my knees albiet not normal from crotch down.

Anybody with similar experiences to share would be appreciated.

Glad to be here on CC. I already feel at home.
    Grange
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Do you mean you are contracted in a flexed position, or in an extended position at your hips? If in an extended position, how do you sit in a chair? What type of ROM do you do? Are you taking medication for spasticity (hypertonicity)?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

They contract in the flexed position. I don't want my attempt at levity to make things sound worse than they are. When I lay down on my back my legs are drawn up into the air at about a 15 to 20 degree angle to my knees. After laying there for a while my legs will drop some but they mostly just rotate so my knees and toes are pointing outward. PT's all comment on how tight my hip flexors are. Seems like this tightness is generating alot of my discomfort., Oh yeah I am taking Xanaflex, Lyrica, Methadone.

Comment

How much Zanaflex?

How much time do you spend prone daily (laying on your stomach)? This is an excellent method to both prevent and treat hip flexion contractures like this.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I am T12 and have trouble with this. when I lay on my side with legs straight they will pull up in minutes no matter what. I lay on my stomach with pillow under thighs and under belly so that my hips kind of hang down. This helps some but no matter what I do I'm always tight here. I t also helps to lay on stomach and have someone push down on hip while lifting my leg. Good luck.
          If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Maybe a standing frame will help your hips stretch out more b/c you're in a standing postition. Horseback riding can also help stretch out your hips by leaning over or just having the horse in a walking gait. Here is a listing of NARHA therapeutic riding facilities in Georgia: http://www.narha.org/Centers/center_...ity_search.asp

Comment

Originally posted by addiesue
              I t also helps to lay on stomach and have someone push down on hip while lifting my leg.
              Did a PT recommend that? I've been told that this kind of stretching is likely to do more damage to your lower bank than it is to do any good in stretching out your hip flexors. What my PT suggested was laying on my back at the edge of the bed with one leg hanging over the side and the other held in a flexed position. Then have someone push down gently on knee of the leg hanging down. He said that gives more of a stretch to the hip without as much risk to the lower back.

C.

Comment

My hip rotates and pushing down helps this. My PT is the one who does it and man it feels good. As far as I can tell my lower back isn't affected at all. But thanks for your concern.
                If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
                  How much Zanaflex?

How much time do you spend prone daily (laying on your stomach)? This is an excellent method to both prevent and treat hip flexion contractures like this.

(KLD)
                  Prone laying TREATS this type of contracture? That's good news. I was under the impression that the only real treatment for contracture is surgical release, botox, or maybe ITB. My hip flexors are also very tight, although due to cerebral spasticity. Sometimes I don't think stretching does any good....
                  Disclaimer: I use voice dictation software, due to chronic tendinitis. Any gibberish-type errors in this post are due to the software's stupidity, not my own. Protect your arms and hands from overuse, people!

Comment

I have been recommended for ITB I'm a bit scared of it. I've tried botox. I am so small I don't know about a disk in my abdomen. I want to see someone who has it. Haven't had much time to research it yet.

Comment

I was recommended for ITB pump but because of my small frame was told by the neurologist that i woud need to gain weight due to the size and location of the implant. I was never interested in this treatment so if you are, i suggest you talk to someone whose done it. best of luck. as for the tight hip flexors laying prone and standing are the best ways to stretch and for severe tightness a prolonged stretch is always better.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear so many others deal with the tight hips. It is no fun.

SCI nurse I have just reduced the dose on my Xanaflex to 2mg 3x per day. I could not stay awake at the higher dose I was on. I have been trying to prone at least twice per day for 30 minutes each time. My biggest obstacle is once I leave my house for the day I don't have set=up a place to get out of my chair untill I get back home. I am trying to change that so I will have a surface at my work where I can lay down and give my butt a break. I am constantly doing weight shift depressions but that doesn't help the hips.

What is the ITB pump?

I am exploring the possibility og a standing wheelchair. Do they provide the same stretch and benefit as a standing frame?

Thanks ya'll for the shared info and yes I am from the south.....
                        Grange

Comment

A standing frame is generally better than a standing chair. With a standing chair you rarely stand completely upright (usually there is about a 10 degree "tilt"), and there is less weight born by the feet. In addition, you don't get the slight hyperextension of the hips that you can get in a standing frame or glider, and this really is needed to work on tightness in flexion.

Is there a couch you could transfer to at work? I worked with a woman who had a paraplegic injury and she proned and ate her lunch on a couch in the staff lounge every day. It was good for her hips, and for her skin. Weight shifts won't do anything to help with hip flexion contractures.

Can you prone all night? This is a great sleeping position, and if you are properly positioned and bridge your pressure points, you can safely lay prone for 8-10 hours at least.

(KLD)

Comment

I live aloneand it is next to impossible to get padded off well enough to sleep prone all night. I wish I could. I appreciate your input. I own my own photo studio so I am currently looking for aday bed to put in the production room to lay on there. I think this will make a big difference. When I stay at home all day and constantly take short horizontal breaks my hips stay much more comfortable. They are on fire right now.
                            G

Comment

Originally posted by addiesue
                              I have been recommended for ITB I'm a bit scared of it. I've tried botox. I am so small I don't know about a disk in my abdomen. I want to see someone who has it. Haven't had much time to research it yet.
                              My concern exactly Addiesue. ITB can be wonderful for folks like me with cerebral palsy when it works, and a nightmare when it doesn't. I'm tiny too--4'11ish, 90 lbs. Not so sure what that pump lump would do to my self esteem, honestly.

I love to sleep prone, but it contributes to back pain. I'm also *supposed* to be wearing ultraflex afo night splints-- no way to sleep prone in those without pushing into plantarflexion.
                              Disclaimer: I use voice dictation software, due to chronic tendinitis. Any gibberish-type errors in this post are due to the software's stupidity, not my own. Protect your arms and hands from overuse, people!

Comment

Working...
                              X