New Pressure Ulcer Staging Standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Pressure Ulcer Staging Standards

These have finally been approved by the National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel. The major change is the addition of Deep Tissue Injury (DTI) and "unstagable" categories.

It will take a while for clinicians to learn these new standards, so you may want to print this out to share with your providers.

If anyone would like example photos of some of these, post here and I will see what I can do.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

This is great thanks!

I'm having a helluva time with one wound on my right heel - it's almost healed but the skin must be thinner than tissue paper. Even dousing the dressing in oxygenated water as I change it - pulling off the dressing re-opens it ... dammit. If I could just heal and be done with one ... but I get them to this stage and am so unfamiliar with what to do. The skin around is so flakey and dry. GRRR

A wound care nurse is only available on Thursdays at one hospital and she is usually booked ... 8-4pm doesn't jive with my shift work schedule either. No home care nurse - deemed too independant.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Thank you, this is one reason why I really appreciate this website.

Comment

Pictures

Would be great, if it's not too much trouble KLD.

So far, we haven't had to deal with a pressure sore, but I'd like to be prepared, and know what to look for.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer
          This is great thanks!

I'm having a helluva time with one wound on my right heel - it's almost healed but the skin must be thinner than tissue paper. Even dousing the dressing in oxygenated water as I change it - pulling off the dressing re-opens it ... dammit. If I could just heal and be done with one ... but I get them to this stage and am so unfamiliar with what to do. The skin around is so flakey and dry. GRRR

A wound care nurse is only available on Thursdays at one hospital and she is usually booked ... 8-4pm doesn't jive with my shift work schedule either. No home care nurse - deemed too independant.
          Maybe you can try combine dressings. I have found that they don't stick as much as 4x4 gauze. You always have to keep the wound moist by putting something in it such as silvadine or aguacel. Silvadine awesome! I always use it for my wounds. Is there another wound care nurse that you can see? It's really important that you have it checked out b/c it can seriously tunnel over night or become infected.

Comment

You do not ALWAYS need to use a gel or Silvadene to keep a wound moist. Silvadene is pretty much outdated compared to other silver products, as it inhibits healing more than they do. Silver products should only be used for infected pressure ulcers that are producing pus.

Prevention of and care for pressure ulcers can be guided by the clinical practice guidelines available from the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine.

Please start a new thread to discuss specific wound issues instead of using this informational sticky thread for that.

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Here are some PDF example photos of each of the types of wounds described in the NPUAP standards. WARNING: these are graphic photos. These are of Stage I-IV pressure ulcers. See below for the other two categories.

(KLD)

Comment

Here are some PDF example photos of both Unable to Stage and Deep Tissue Injury pressure ulcers, which are both new categories in the NPUAP standards. WARNING: these are graphic photos.

(KLD)

Comment

Thanks KLD. Trying to go by descriptions alone is difficult. I now can easily see I paniced just in time that my coccyx and elbow were both clobbered at early stage 2. And with the proper treatment my butt is completely healed and my elbow almost is....I keep hitting it on things. ARGHHHHHHHHHHH
                  Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Thanks A Lot

Comment

Yes, I meant to thank you for these also, KLD.
                      get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

So what's a likely prognosis for someone with a "unable to stage" pressure sore on their butt? I mean wouldn't the likelihood of death be pretty real given that situation?
                        Last edited by doingtimeonmyass; 12 Mar 2007, 12:15 PM.

Comment

No, not necessarily. We see "unable to stage" pressure ulcers all the time. The may be a DTI (deep tissue injury) or a pressure ulcer that is covered with slough or eschar. Until the slough or eschar is removed, you cannot stage it according to the new guidelines. An unable to stage pressure ulcer is at least a stage III, but you cannot tell if it is a stage IV until it is debrided.

(KLD)

Comment

thank you for showing the photo's on Pressure sores, my friend as had one for 5 months & it is in the crack of his buttocks, i have never saw one before & now i understand more since reading & seeing the photos on this tread, so i thank you for that.
                            He is in a wheel chair as he is paraplegic but trys to stay in bed which he as a mattress from the health service but trys to stay on his sides a lot.
                            Can you please tell me the best cusion that i could buy for him so he cauld sit in his chair more though out the day instead of being in bed most of the time.
                            Any help you can give me will be great.
                            Many thanks in advice for any help.

Comment

Please don't post specific wound care questions on this thread. Please start a separate message. This thread is specifically for discussion of pressure ulcer staging. Thanks.

(KLD)

Comment

Working...
                              X