Wheelchair backs & cushions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelchair backs & cushions

I was never seated in a chair for scoliosis. I talked to a sales rep in Dallas. He told me of a wc back made with air. Does anyone know about this? Also, has anyone tried a quaid roho?Does it really help to sit you straighter?
    The bar that holds the back up is really digging into my ribs. I never knew they had special seats for scolioses.I have always set on a low profile roho and my balance is really bad then with the curve boy I fight trying to sit up straight.But I have to give roho a plus cause I have had no breakdown on my skin.
    I went two times for rehab at TIRR and can't believe they never addressed this problem.
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

i know exactly what you mean, i have the same issues grrrrrr [img]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
    i want a roho quatro too, and i also need a new back......my own and the chair's [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    i never heard about an air filled chair back, i hope someone has info about it.

Comment

You could try some Jay gel cushions, which provide greater seating stability and positioning. There might be trade-offs with increased risk of skin breakdown, but with some of the high protection gel cushions, you might have same or even greater protection- but degree protection can be very individual and specific to one's needs.

Gel cushions tend to provide better positioning of hips than roho's. Gel inserts can be added to sections of cushion to enable more protection and/or lift underneath hip if one side tends to be lower (this can even out hips) - uneven hips, which can then increase tilt and imbalance in torso, which increases leaning and subsequent tendency to attempt to compensate by leaning upper body/shoulders towards opposite direction, exaggerating/aggravating curve.
      Same adjustments to cushion can be made by increase/decrease of air in roho's, as Im sure you're already aware.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "do not be too moral. you may cheat yourself out of much life. aim above morality. be simply not good; be good for something."

Comment

i know alot of ppl prefer gel cushions, or jay cushions, or any cushion other than a roho but i've sat on a roho for over 20 years and have never had a skin problem, and i've got a real skinny butt, so i'm not changing anything now, except to try a roho quatro.

(btw chick---i like what you wrote in your profile lol)

Comment

Mary-
          I use the Roho Quadtro & I couldn't imagine sitting on anything else. It has helpped me sit straight & kept my bottom from hurting like he**. While I was in rehab, they brought in an air filled back cushion for someone else to try. I know they put it into a Quickie chair, if I remember correctly, it was made by Jay. It had an adjustment valve to get the right back positioning. Also, I think I might have seen a Roho back cushion somewhere, but I can't remember where. I hope this has been helpful for you.

'Chelle
          'Chelle
          L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

try the stimulite series by supracor. ive used them exclusivly for bout 8 years, my but doesnt even get red
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com
            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

This is the kind of back I have. I just got it last week. I had a jay molded back before. But, this is sooo much lighter. It has a valve that you can adjust the amount of air to your comfort. So far, I like it.

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
              Franklin D. Roosevelt
              "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
              - Alan Kay

Comment

The Quadtro hasn't helped me sit straighter. I still feel crooked and like I'm falling sideways.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"
                Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Has anyone heard of a Evolution by Varliate. That is what my chair person is talking about. I am going to look it up on the web.
                  I have a 30 degree curve and have sit in a chair that has never been addressed to scoliosis. I have alot of pain and dicomfort because of slumping over or I should say fighting to keep straight. This guy that is helping me is in Dallas and was highly recammended from a friend of mine that is in a chair. He is working with Medicaire for me and you know no one wants to fight that battle.
                  Van Morrison

Comment

Varilite evolution is what I have. The link is listed in my post below. I have the equivalence of a Jay2, I think. [img]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/img] But, they have all different sizes.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
                    - Alan Kay

Comment

Amanda,
                      Yes you are correct. I need to pull my head out and pay attention. That is what my rep. is trying to get me.They look like try would be bulky trying to fold down and pulling over me to load in the car. I hear about computerized setting positioning. I wonder why they didnot do that for me at TIRR. They don't offer this anywhere in Shreveport, I don't think. I would have to go to Bayler in Dallas or back to TIRR in Houston. I just wish someone would get this scoliosis in a chair professionally taken care of so I can stop fighting with extra pain and the angle I have to sit.Maybe the nurse can steer me in that dirrection. Thanks
                      Van Morrison

Comment

Fighting to keep straight certainly doesn't help us any. I'm always trying to pull my right side back (it's torqued forward of my left side), and to keep myself from tipping to the right, though my thoracic curve is this ) way, so I should feel like I'm tipping to the left.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

[This message was edited by alan on 05-20-04 at 08:53 PM.]
                        Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Has anyone heard of a Evolution by Varliate. That is what my chair person is talking about. I am going to look it up on the web.
                          Mary I have been using a Varilite "Evolution" back for about 8 months and like it much better than two other "Jay Backs" I have had.

There are several adjustments and when you get it right IMO gives a lot of support plus they have an air bladder type cushion on back which you can easily adjust throughout the day.

The only downside I have encountered is using a rigid frame chair the cross-bar between posts keeps from being able to move below it due to mounting hardware. That wouldn't be a problem on folding chair or any chair w/out cross bar.

Varilite recently came out with the "Talon" back which addresses above problem by mounting to cross bar BUT it is a small back similar to "Jay extreme" and not a lot of support for higher level needs.

Due to cost I would suggest trying Evolution before purchase.

Good luck,
                          Paul

Comment

Also look at the invacare infinity back series. I've had my infinity low back for close to a year & I love it although it did take a bit of time to get all the adjustments right on it but I'm really sensative & fussy with regards to seating

Comment

Mary- The difficulty of loading it in over you in the car is no different than any other back. It is has actually been easier for me to do because it is so much lighter than the Jay back I did have. What height are you talking about? There are various ones, along with the choice of lateral support. The bulkyness of a higher back with lateral support would be a lil haarder. But, it all depends on what you are used to loading in.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
                              - Alan Kay

Comment

Working...
                              X