Bowel Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowel Program

I can't seem to get my bowel program to where I would like it to be. I'm going on 5 mos post. I use ducolax, and I take two generic senna plus' each day. I routinely have to go mid day and I don't understand why. My mom thinks I'm not emptying out at night. Any insite?

You may just need more time. It was over a year before my bowel program became routine.

I take regular colace in the morning and before bed. I do my BP in the morning after a light breakfast, using digistim only. I go every day too.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Comment

Camille, there are quite a few threads on this site with a lot of insights into bowel programs. You don't say what your level of injury is, but one of the things that helped me was to know that I had lower motor neuron problems. It is not unusual to have to go twice a day if that is your problem. Mike

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Walker, Oct 2003
      T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Comment

Camille,
        I agree with MikeC, we need more info to give you some info. What level injury are you, when do you take the senna, do your bowel program?

JM
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Sorry. I take the senna in the afternoon 2 of them and I'm a T 12 incomplete and I do my bowel program at 8:30 p.m. every night.

Comment

Originally posted by Camille:

Sorry. I take the senna in the afternoon 2 of them and I'm a T 12 incomplete and I do my bowel program at 8:30 p.m. every night.
            all laxatives take awhile to work.
            it doesn't sound like you're giving it enough time before you do your bp.....which might explain having to go again the next day.
            i've always used this guideline----i take senna about 12 hours before i want to do my bp.
            late morning for a night bp, bedtime for a morning bp.
            you need to experiment (ugh [img]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] lol) and see what's right for your body.

Comment

Being someone with a lower level injury, you might try a rectal check in the am to see if ay stool has moved down, or at least try sitting on thetoilet, doing some valsalva to get rid of stool lower down.

JM
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Camille, I do what SCI-Nurse suggested. I sit on the toilet in the morning (as well as at night) and do valsalva to see if there is anything there. I never sit on the toilet more than a minute - either there is something or there isn't. I would rather do that than a rectal check. Mike.

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Walker, Oct 2003
                T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Comment

KLD...what is valsalva?

Kap

"It's not easy being green"
                  accept no substitutes

Comment

Kap, the valsava manuever is when you hold your breath and squeeze to increase pressure in your chest. It stimulates the parasympathetic and sympathic system. Wise.

Comment

when i was in hospital the nurses used the Valsava Manoeuvre [ though i never knew the name ] . an adaption of it that worked for me during BP was to get a wide belt [ about 2 1/2 '' ] do it up as tight as possible around my stomach , about belly button level , then take a deep breath and ''push '' against the belt using my diaphragm . sometimes i would bend over while holding my breath . i would be interested in hearing from the SCI-Nurses about this option please .
                      thank you ,
                      dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .
                      Every day I wake up is a good one .

Comment

Originally posted by dogger:

when i was in hospital the nurses used the Valsava Manoeuvre [ though i never knew the name ] . an adaption of it that worked for me during BP was to get a wide belt [ about 2 1/2 '' ] do it up as tight as possible around my stomach , about belly button level , then take a deep breath and ''push '' against the belt using my diaphragm . sometimes i would bend over while holding my breath . i would be interested in hearing from the SCI-Nurses about this option please .
                        thank you ,
                        dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .
                        i guess i do something like that, kinda. im inc w/ no need for bowel program, i know when i have to go. but know abb muscles. i bend over on my knees on the toilet and push w/ my inner belly muscles, really helps when constipated. i generally only do this when im in a hurry and dont have 15 20 min to sit. again im inc so i also know when im done
                        Bike-on.com rep
                        John@bike-on.com
                        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Camille, are you taking fiber every day? Take some kind of fiber suppliment at least twice a day. Use digital stimulation instead of or in addition to the dulcolax. The problem with stimulants is that they are addictive and your body forgets how to eliminate without them. I never had good success with them anyway. It was nearly 3 years before I developed a good bm program. With the introduction of fiber to my diet, and the use of digital stimulation and going at the same time every night, accidents have pretty much been eliminated for the most part.

Give yourself at least an hour to complete your program. There are ways that you can tell when your body is finished eliminating.

If you are on the pot and you are still passing gas or stool, continue to ds every few minutes. Do this until NO gas or stool passes for AT LEAST 10 MINUTES. You can also get a pretty good idea if your done by the color of mucus that is left on your finger. If it's pretty much clear you are probably done, but this is not a 100% way of telling.

The most important thing is to give yourself enough time on the pot. Don't rush it. Read or find some other activity to occupy yourself while you are completing the program. This helps the time to pass. I realize that this is not a pleasant subject to talk about, and can cause some embarassment. But, a little embarassment is worth it if your bowel routine starts to work for you. It took me about 3 weeks to get my program down pat. The hardest part for me was watching the signs that I was or wasn't done and giving myself enough time on the pot.

The PVA has an excellent pamphlet about this procedure. If you would like it give me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you, or you can purchase it off their web site for a small fee.

Comment

Working...
                          X