Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sore from new shoes - can I 'fix' the shoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sore from new shoes - can I 'fix' the shoes?

A month ago I bought a nice pair of runners which I love because they are my actual size because they came in wide, it's been nice not to have my shoes falling off all the time because they are two sizes too big. Of course they were expensive because they are wide.
    I thought they were fine but now there is a sore devlelopin above my big toe! And I can't exchange them anymore.
    Is there someway to fix the shoes? Moleskin or padding on the pressure spot?
    I'm sure the sore will clear up if I don't wear shoes as I caught i early - THANKS SPASMS!
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Originally posted by Emi2
    A month ago I bought a nice pair of runners which I love because they are my actual size because they came in wide, it's been nice not to have my shoes falling off all the time because they are two sizes too big. Of course they were expensive because they are wide.
    I thought they were fine but now there is a sore devlelopin above my big toe! And I can't exchange them anymore.
    Is there someway to fix the shoes? Moleskin or padding on the pressure spot?
    I'm sure the sore will clear up if I don't wear shoes as I caught i early - THANKS SPASMS!
    could this be a cause of your night sweats if toe is hitting the bedding?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

I don't think the sore is causing the night sweats as I generally don't like blankets on my feet. But next time I start sweating I will check if the sore is touching anything.
      Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

What about a shoe-stretcher?

Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Hey Emi,
          My only suggestion is what we do for Dan.....
          cut the shoes, unfortunately. Cut the offending
          part to release pressure.
          C

Comment

I know exactly what you are talking about. I get a spot once in awhile in the same area. I would suggest taking out any inside padding that you can on the bottom of the shoe to give you more depth, and stretching the leather in the area doesn't hurt either.

Comment

Maybe try a thinner sock. Could it be a seem of a sock rubbing or can you feel a seem in the shoe where your toe would be? I have had this happen more times than I can count but I have to wear shoes a couple of sizes bigger because of a surgery I had. Only other thing is to attempt to stretch that part of the shoe. I do use moleskin occasionally but sometimes it slides around as well...

good luck
              T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Until it is healed, don't wear that shoe at all. Then, try making an X cut over the area where you have the pressure. Remove the shoe every 2 hours for the first day to see if you are getting red. If so, you may need to find a different shoe.

(KLD)
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

i went through the same thing a few months ago. i got tired of my feet lookin like i had water skis on. so i tried on an bought a normal size pair of nikes that i really liked. sure enough, i started getting a red spot on my big toe. i tried wetting them and stuffing things in em at night, shoe stretchers, everything i could think of. and same as you....the store was going out of business so no returns. i was so mad every night when i pulled em off hoping there'd be no red spot but lo an behold it would be there. i finally just gave them away and bought me a size and a half bigger skecher and haven't had a red spot since.

doingtime's idea of taking the padding out might work. i didn't think of that. maybe you could find a thinner material and cut it to fit inside so they won't hurt the bottom of your feet.
                  Last edited by rollin64; 3 Dec 2006, 4:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rollin64
                    i went through the same thing a few months ago. i got tired of my feet lookin like i had water skis on. so i tried on an bought a normal size pair of nikes that i really liked. sure enough, i started getting a red spot on my big toe. i tried wetting them and stuffing things in em at night, shoe stretchers, everything i could think of. and same as you....the store was going out of business so no returns. i was so mad every night when i pulled em off hoping there'd be no red spot but lo an behold it would be there. i finally just gave them away and bought me a size and a half bigger skecher and haven't had a red spot since.

doingtime's idea of taking the padding out might work. i didn't think of that. maybe you could find a thinner material and cut it to fit inside so they won't hurt the bottom of your feet.
                    The problem with Nike is that they have the narrowest toes of all sneakers. New Balance are pretty good and come in wider widths.

Comment

a shoe repair shop or a place that makes AFO"S should be able to stretch them quite a bit more than a normal shoe stretcher.
                      cauda equina

Comment

That or like the pic of the stretcher Lynnifer posted many stretchers come with little knobs for places that rub the most. See the small and large holes in the wood? I just put the plactic knob where the spots are and then lengthen or widen the stretcher.
                        Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Working...
                        X