No announcement yet.

External condom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

=Hunker,it's the product number of the Elastoplast tape I use. Sportaid can get it for you.

Comment

The prepackaged ones with included adhesive are useless. Two things will solve this completely: get rid of the one-way valve and go old-school -- standard condom catheter (no self-contained adhesive) attached with skin bond. In 20+ years I have not had more than a handful of them leak, and that is only after they blow up the size of a grapefruit because it was twisted or there was no hole in the condom.
      See additional information in this thread: /forum/archive/index.php/t-62524.html
      Ken

Comment

Originally posted by artsyguy1954
        Hi Hunker
        I use the Clear Advantage self adhering silicone catheter made by MENTOR, Minneapolis, MN in combination with a vented leg bag made by Hollister Inc. Libertyville, Illinois. After some experimentation and bad luck with different brands I found this to be a combination that works very well for me. I don't know if this will help you.

Ditto for me.

My 4 keys for trouble-free condoms:

1. Shave off all hair in the region;
        2. Wash the area thoroughly and make sure its completely dry;
        3. Use a Skin Prep wipe and let it dry (takes mere seconds; and
        4. Make yourself as hard as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Myc0
          I used to use some Coloplasts CC's but I had too many leaks with them, nou I use Rochester Wide Bands, they work great. There are also skin prep wipes, that put a protective coating on the skin so the adhesive from the condom cath's don't irritate it, I think they help the cc's adhere better too.
          Yep! I use the widebands too and love them. The mentor's didn't hold for sh%t.
          Dave

Comment

So I have been doing it backward with the skin prep wipes I was using them to get them unstuck. Sportaid sent me a measuring cardboard thing for my you know what? I thought that was funny plus it made a good frisbee! Don't tell the ladies or they will want one so they can measure up us guys <Matt wispers> I agree with the UTI thing so I should get a size smaller in my next order. I did do something last night because I was not sure what would happen. I put a diaper over my condom (just in case) and my UTI is gone since I done with my prescription. Instead of drinking wine I drank an Irish kalour (sp?) so to keep down on the liquids before bed plus I thought not drinking so much alcohol I would not get so hot at night. Just to be safe I put one of those diapers on too. Really.... leg bags, condoms, hoses and diaper! I just laughed at how funny I looked. I did not leak last night which was a great relief and everything went well. Thanks for all the helpfull information from everyone.
            Best regards,
            Matt

Comment

Originally posted by artsyguy1954
              Hi Hunker
              I use the Clear Advantage self adhering silicone catheter made by MENTOR, Minneapolis, MN in combination with a vented leg bag made by Hollister Inc. Libertyville, Illinois. After some experimentation and bad luck with different brands I found this to be a combination that works very well for me. I don't know if this will help you.
              I use the exact same setup...... also use Cavalon spray to protect my skin and make a good stick..
              I use a smaller size, and smush er in. I'd rather be tight, then wet.

Comment

I think I may try to change my program to evenings because last night I had to change condoms and so far today I am ok. I remember the good old days.

Comment

Hunker,if you're sleeping with a leg bag,you don't have gravity to allow urine to flow into bag. Try a bag beside your bed.

Comment

Liberty Pouches

I hope to get a free pkg of these new caths soon. If UPS comes to see me soon. I hear they work wonderful and if you have a problem with cuts, swelling then this should be a great solution. I have had cuts over the years that I thought I would lose it sometimes. If this libertypouch is not something for everyday, then I'm sure it could be my solution to at least heal the cuts. Over time condom tape will make a mess with your penis and also cut your hard-ons in half. (if you know what I mean)....Well I hope to get more info soon. Take care

By the way, has Sweetieheart been hear of late? Sure miss her smiles.

Comment

I blew my condom. I am blowing my my bag I tried another smaller size condom that was smaller. Made my you know what to tight. I was talking to a friend on CC and could not respond because I had to change. I cleaned up and blew in the bag and and it was hard to even blow with air and release the valve. Jimbo fron Sportaid said cut the bag take the valve out? WTF? Is there a bag that that does not have a reflux thing in the bag? Thhe valve is sticking together and prefent the flow? SCI suxxxxx and urinatining after working all day really sux! I think hooking a water hose then to a gallon jung with a cork and copper tub and make moonshine.

Comment

I use Urocare bags with the little red valve. Sometimes when they are new the valve can be stuck closed. I've used vegetable oil or silicone to lubricate it and keep it from sticking.

Comment

Originally posted by RoJo
                          I use Urocare bags with the little red valve. Sometimes when they are new the valve can be stuck closed. I've used vegetable oil or silicone to lubricate it and keep it from sticking.
                          That is a good idea! What I did today is cleaned it and blew thru it to make it drier. I think after my shower it may be wet so I stapped it on and blew into it to make it bubble some then I waited awhile and took the air out. maybe that will help.

Comment

I noticed that you use a 41 mm external. Congrats, thats quite a hefty size. But it might not be fitting correctly, especially if you are finding it to leak out the end easily. I use the Clear advantage cath, and have tried both the Intermediate and Large sizes. I've noticed that although my poor penis probably hates me for this, cramming it in the Intermediate size provides a tighter fit, and no leaks. So might try going down one size, even if it seems you're smothering 'ol willy.

I looked at those Liberty Pouch cath's, and I just don't see how they can be effective. I know from using the Clear Advantage externals that throughout the day they may have a tendency to slide off a little bit, and with the Liberty Pouch, there doesn't seem to be any consideration for this. Plus, I don't know if I want something adhering to the head of my penis...mucho sensitive area.

I have a question regarding externals too. It seems that there are times when I remove the cath that the area that was covered by the external is almost prunish (kinda like when you leave your fingers in water for too long).
                            I do realize that this is likely a result of my penis again being crammed into an external all day, marinating in a mixture of cath adhesive, skin prep, and piss, but I never noticed it to be as much a problem. Despite my above recommendation, would going up a size alleviate this effect some, ie., not being smushed in?

Ok, enough external talk...

Comment

Hunker, you posted you don't have insurance. You should be able to get Medicare or a Medicare Advantage Plan. I've been reading about the new Advantage Plans - it looks like you wouldn't have much out of pocket costs for surgeries. An outpatient surgery would cost you less than a hundred bucks copay on some plans. I'd look into it, being without insurance with an sci isn't good.

Best of luck to you buddy, hope your teams do well this weekend in the NFL
                              Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                              Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

heat

Hunker, sorry to hear your grief man. I know heat is a factor from my own exprience. The humidity in Ontario was so bad i left. I use the mentor freedom cath silicone clear advantage and have no problem with it now. I usually only change it once a week though. Have you thought of using the Mentor and using warm water to soften adhesive when you remove it? Do you use an overnight bag for drainage?

Comment

Working...
                                X