Turning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning

the first 18yrs of my injury [c4-c5] i was on a regular turn schedule during the night.

i've been living alone for the past 8yrs. now i can't be turned at night so i sleep the entire night on my back.

my skin is fine. what problems can occur with my internal organs? and what might be a solution? thank you.

hc

if you can't get out of bed independently, much less turn in bed, it's probably not safe living alone in terms of emergency, if that's a concern.

i have two straps, one attached to each side of my bed. with them i can turn, without them not.

at c4/c5 i'm not sure they would help though

Comment

IM C4-5 INC, I LIKE SLEEPING ON MY SIDE, I CAN TURN AND TRANSFER THOUGH, MAYBE TRY SLEEPING OPN SIDE
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Turning by yourself is nearly impossible for someone with a complete C4-5 injury. While you may be doing OK now, in the long run not turning at night can lead to skin breakdown as you age.

Turning is also important for maintaining joint flexibility, proper kidney drainage, and proper lung secretion drainage. Not turning increasing your risks for pneumonia, kidney stones, and contractures.

Probably the best solution for someone who lives alone and has only part time attendant care (which may people do safely for years) is to see if you can get funded for a turning mattress.

The two I am most familiar with are the Triline Cair Turn RT and the Span America Pressure Guard Turn Select. The latter has has some problems with breakdowns, so we are currently issuing the former only.

If you also need a low air loss mattress for open pressure ulcers or recurrent pressure ulcers, then either the Invacare TurnQ or the Triline TurnCair are good options (but both very expensive).

Triline Products

Span America Turn Select

Invacare Type II mattresses

None of these turn you more than 30 degrees, which is less than ideal, but better than no turning at all. The turn frequency can be adjusted on all of them. I recommend 30 minute cycles since you are not getting a full turn. They all are designed to replace your standard hospital bed mattress.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Crags - Would it be possible to describe the straps you use and how you manuver to turn? Tx!

Comment

"Would it be possible to describe the straps you use and how you manuver to turn?"

it's 2" webbing, though 1" would do. you can get some at an OT dept, or any marine supply store. each side is comprised of two loops, each about 12" long. the two loops are chained together. the first is sewn, the next one is sewn through the other.

each two loop chain is attached to the bed frame at about chest height (lying down). you can attach it to the frame with strong cord or hitch it through itself.

before you lie down facing one way, just make sure the loop behind you is one the mattress within reach. then in the middle of the night you can simply reach behind you to find it and pull yourself to that side.

they also help with pulling up to a sit position or just repositioning yourself.

i'd be lost without them. i have a set for when i travel or stay elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

The two I am most familiar with are the Triline Cair Turn RT and the Span America Pressure Guard Turn Select. The latter has has some problems with breakdowns, so we are currently issuing the former only.

(KLD)
              I have a Span America Pressure Guard Turn Select and it is prone to breaking down. Probably due to cheap plastic fittings at the motor.

Comment

There's also the Turnsoft mattress. www.turnsoft.com

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"
                Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

crags,

How do you get your legs to go where you want them?

Comment

I use those straps too, they are called bed ladders and are available from Sammons and Preston. I too am lost without them. When I turn my legs usually go into a comfortable position but if they don't I sit half up and move them.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
                    ~ Anon
                    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

Yikes! I wasn't aware that not turning could cause any internal problems. I usually go at least 5-6 hours before waking up and turning. I haven't had any skin problem thus far. I check every morning. But, should I wake myself up to turn more often?

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                      Franklin D. Roosevelt
                      "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
                      - Alan Kay

Comment

Amanda -- Everyone's skin tolerance will be different. Some folks can go 3-5 hours at night without turning and never have a skin breakdown. Others have pressure on a site for 30 minutes and immediately get red. Daily skin inspections are so important to keep on top of things.

As far as problems with internal organs, if you are active during the day and up out of the bed most of the day you will have less of a chance of other complications related to immobility and not turning, ie, pneumonia, etc. PLG
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

http://www.woundsupport.com/index.html

it is the one you recommend?

Brian C/5
                          http://www.brianupdates.homestead.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X