scars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scars

Many of us have large scars from post-injury fusions, rod implantation, etc. Just wondering if there's any kind of cream or lotion that can soften those racing stripes?

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I have heard you can get the acne meds to do it. Like the retin-a and tazorac creams.
    http://www.adamsmith.name

Comment

Try Mederma.

www.mederma.com

Comment

Depends on the type of scar you are talking about. Sounds like Keloid scars are your concern?

OTC meds may help, but very minimally. Retin-A is script, but this will not help keloid scarring. Alpha and Beta hydroxy work similarly but differently as well - on dif levels of dermis, in treating acne, also works to slough off surface/dead layer skin.

Comment

1:1 mix of 100% aloe vera gel & extra virgin olive oil. Apply to scar and massage regularly. Works wonders on scars and is also a great general purpose skin lotion.
          Know Thyself

Comment

My dad recently related a story about a woman he once dated who got rid of her scars using pure camphor oil. I have been meaning to give it a try myself, but haven't gotten around to getting the camphor oil yet and trying it. But it is on my "to-do" list....

Comment

How about Vitamin E?

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"
              Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Damage recommended mederma. That's what I use and it works pretty well I apply it 3x's a day

Niese

Comment

Vitamin E will not really do anything once the scar is there.

Comment

For surgical scars you may want to try opening a Vitamin E capsule and then apply the contents twice a day to the affected area. Try doing this for one month and see if you have noticed any changes.

PN
                    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                    ––Paul Nussbaum
                    usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

I was wondering, does having SCI decrease ability to heal wounds, even moderate superficial damage to dermis (1 or 2 layers)?

What would be specific factors that inhibit and/or minimize healing (circulation, etc?) ??

Would healing process remain same as AB, but just take longer?

Would there require different prep or post wound care to enable healing without too much scarring?

Is scarring more likely for someone with SCI and does the risk increase with duration of SCI?

Thx.

Comment

Chick -- You might want to check this site out from the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine for more information about SCI and pressure sore prevention and management.

Pressure Ulcers: What you should know

Sensory and motor impairment can have an impact on how the skin heals. Of course, some of the best things are to keep pressure off the wound site, keep it clean, and take in adequate fluids and foods high in protein and vitamin C if you can tolerate them. PLG
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

The URL for downloading the Consortium Clinical Practice Guidelines (professional versions $8, consumer versions $5) is here. The downloads are no longer free (since last October):

PVA Store

(KLD)

[This message was edited by SCI-Nurse on 03-06-04 at 11:23 PM.]
                          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                          X