How to cath laying flat in bed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to cath laying flat in bed?

In rehab when I cath in bed I put the head of the bed up......how do you do it when you get home and you have to lay flat?

Originally posted by binnie
    In rehab when I cath in bed I put the head of the bed up......how do you do it when you get home and you have to lay flat?
    First, why don't you talk to the nursing staff around you in rehab? Second, when you get home, why would you want to cath in bed at all? Why wouldn't you want to go in the bathroom?

C.

Comment

I cath into a bag at night so that I can get the most sleep possible. I prop myself up with pillows.
      www.cawvsports.org
      The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
      We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

Hi,

If you don't have the ability to raise your head, then use pillows to prop yourself up. I've seen a few people that lie on their side, depending on your LOI.

AAD
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I find it easier to cath lying on my side. t12 injury.
          "Its not about being right. It's about getting it right."
          Joe Dumars

Comment

Not sure if you are male or female, but I am guessing female, as i would thinK its easier for a male. I use a wedge pillow, and some pillows to prop up. Then just position my feet. I always make sure to put a waterproof pad under my butt .... just in case. CAn't imaging cathing on my side, I assume that advice was for makes.
            Last edited by sjean423; 16 Oct 2006, 4:12 PM.
            T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
              Second, when you get home, why would you want to cath in bed at all? Why wouldn't you want to go in the bathroom?

C.
              I find cathing in my chair trickier than cathing on the bed. My legs have a lot of tone, and are difficult to position. Plus the whole dressing and undressing. (I am female). So when already in bed, I would never bother to get up (transfer into chair, head to bathroom, get pants down, cath, get pants back up, return to bed, transfer) when I can much more quickly cath there.
              T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423
                I find cathing in my chair trickier than cathing on the bed. My legs have a lot of tone, and are difficult to position. Plus the whole dressing and undressing. (I am female). So when already in bed, I would never bother to get up (transfer into chair, head to bathroom, get pants down, cath, get pants back up, return to bed, transfer) when I can much more quickly cath there.

I'm with sjean and Aly. I'm no way going to be at least half an hour messing about getting up at night to cath, when it can be done much quicker in bed, using a bag.

I have an electric bed, so I just raise the head once I am on my back to cath.

Comment

I find it the easiest way to cath in my chair. When I first got home I used to cath in my bed before I went to sleep. But now I cath in my chair and just frog my legs. Good luck!
                  God is good

Comment

Working...
                  X