Size 20 indwelling cath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size 20 indwelling cath

Anyone ever had a size 20 cath pushed up their urethera?

Ow. Nope, 16 is the largest I've used.
    www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

Originally posted by EDD
      Anyone ever had a size 20 cath pushed up their urethera?
      Yes, why?

Comment

You can use a 20 cath, but the question is why? If you are trying to stop a leaking bladder, that generally will not help. The problem is usually caused by a spastic bladder.
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRainman
          Yes, why?
          The reason why I,m asking is that since I had this inserted up my uretha the time I was in hospital for bleeding I havent stop leaking since. I think now they streched my sphinter mussle. Can this be fixed. As I,m now constantly leaking even a few minutes after I do the SIC. Help needed before i put a gun to my head. LOL

Comment

You need to see your urologist. It is impossible to tell what damage, if any has been done to your urethra or sphincter. A cystoscopy probably is needed.

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
              You need to see your urologist. It is impossible to tell what damage, if any has been done to your urethra or sphincter. A cystoscopy probably is needed.

(KLD)
              There is no resistance now when I do the SCI so i know the sphinter is damaged I dont need my uroligist to tell me this. I,m now my own doctor now at this stage when it comes to these things..

I just need to know how can this be tightened up again?

Comment

Why in God's name would they jam a 20 fr up you???? It doesn't make sense. I use a 14f....just thinking about it makes my blood curdle!! Owwwwoooowwww! If you did not get pain you sure would get AD in a hurry. That is a darn fire hose!
                Disability is not a medical problem with social issues, but rather a social problem with medical issues.
                Franklin D. Rosevelt

Comment

You shouldn't feel resistance at your sphincter when you cath. Get urodynamics studies and other tests to see what is going on.

CWO

Comment

on thurs. i had a 20 put in my sp and OUT my urethra THEN INFLATED....been bleeding like a stuck pig, but thats another thread...sorry

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
                      You shouldn't feel resistance at your sphincter when you cath.

CWO
                      Well i always did feel whenever the cath was at the sphincter (2. 1/2 years)now after getting the size the size 20 pushed up it was no resistane. Explain why there would be no resistane sure this is the mussle for holding the urine in the bladder?

Comment

I used a 24 for several months.

It took about a month for the "leakies" to stop.

Comment

Everyone is a unique individual. You might feel it but it should not be painful or uncomfortable especially if you have sacral sparing. And typically because it becomes so routine to cath, the feeling becomes pretty unnoticeable. This area might also be hypersensitive due to your SCI but if you are relaxed when you cath & use enough lubrication you should not feel discomfort or pain. Cathing might also cause bladder spasms which would tighten the sphincter.
                          There are other areas in the urethra that you might feel it passing example: if you have a stricture or narrowing. That is why we always tell people (including nurses) not to force the catheter or there could be problems especially making a false passage (making a tract outside the urethra).With enough lubrication & relaxation it should slip right in. If it is painful or uncomfortable, you can try more lubrication or the xylocaine gel that will numb the urethra and you won't feel it.

CWO

Comment

Originally posted by thenose
                            I used a 24 for several months.

It took about a month for the "leakies" to stop.
                            My GOD a 24!!! Thats a new one. Why did you have a 24 in there? We are talking urethal catheter here right? What did you use for the month after for the leaking to stop? Were you doing SIC?

cheers

Comment

Working...
                            X