spasms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spasms

Hi, I'm a 34 year old c2/3/4 quad. My spasms are getting so bad that I hate to go out in public. The chair or my twisted body hasn't ever bothered me but the spasms are bad especially during my daily routines it takes forever to get my body strapped and becoming very, very difficult for me to handle and I'm becoming very depressed for longer periods of times. Somedays I wish I could get my limbs amputated and I'm scared that I think that way. I've been in a chair for 20 years and have honestly not minded it. I am still with my boyfriend that I was with before my accident and always felt very sexy even after all that's happened but I can't seem to find the same peace with these spasms. I'm afraid that I have a condition that's going to add to my already fortunate challenge that I was given and I'm not sure I can handle more then what I have. Can anyone be truthful and help me cope with this, I'm terrified but want the truth. Anyh help would be appreciated.

HI, Amanda, and welcome; glad you found us.

I'm moving your post over to the Care forum, where it may receive more responses. You can find it here:

Comment

Hi Amanda,
      I don't get on often but my wife does and she told me about your post. I'm 32 years post and for most of that time I have had episodes that come and go. I have no medical bases to advise you but I can share what works for me. First I have a SP cath so when I start a new episode if has been in more than three weeks, I change it. I also start taking diazepam (10 mg's) twice a day for a few days. I make a conscious effort to drink more fluids, stretch more often and exercise more. Usually I go back to normal in a couple of days and can be good for months. There are no guarantees for me but when I enter a new episode, I don;t get discouraged like I used to. Like you, I had an aversion to going out in public when my body didn't act in accordance with the image I now hold of myself. I hope some of this is applicable to your situation and you can get those pesky muscles back under control so they only spasm on demand.
      Good Luck, Ken

Comment

Amanda, Are you taking any medication for your spasms? There are some that can help. In fact there is a whole range of treatments that might be helpful for you. Can you tell me/us a little more about what you do for your spasms? That way we might be able to make better suggestions about what to do.

I'm glad you found us.

RAB
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
        X