bowels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bowels

Ok,two part ?, I haven't took a decent shit in two weeks..I do not use a supp, just stim.. What can I do to get a nice bowel movement?
    its been 2 weeks.. I remember taking 4ap once and soon as i took it i went just like that..

2nd? I use the digi supp/combo that doesn't work.. I don't use a supp, i just stim... This is my last step to independence, my mom helps me she tell me its far up is there anyway I can do this indepedent if the digi/supp combo dont work.. I gotta figure this out by jan im moving..

Why don't you use your PIE* machine?? [img]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/img]
    stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

sounds like just stim ain't working, try a suppository and do all the other recommendations regarding food, fluids, timing, fiber, etc.

Comment

Take a spoonful of isapgol husk powder with water before going to bed. Its a natural fibre supplement. Works fine for me. Drink something hot before going to cammode after having suppository deep inside the rectum. Should work.

ammu
        ammu

Comment

Mad Producer - How often do you usually do your bowel program? Have you been getting good results or have you consistently been having long periods of time between a successful program. What level is your injury and how long have you been injured? Have you ever had a good established program? This information will help me better respond to your needs. CRF
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I do my bowel program once a week, I haven't got good results in two weeks.. I have been waiting like 1hr,while on the program, and I still dont have any good results.. Im a c5 inc 6yrs post.. Yea I always had a good results until I change my bed around.. Will that effect anything? I didnt use a supp cause I always had a good bowel programm..

step, I dont use it cuz Im never home hardly, just always moving.. I just stim..btw, it's a good machine, wasnt even thinking about it..

Comment

Mad Producer - What do you mean by "Yea I always had a good results until I change my bed around."?

The general 'rule of thumb' in bowel programs is to change only one item at a time. I would urge you to read through the information provided by the University of Alabama, Spain Rehab Center in InfoSheet 9 on bowel programs: http://www.spinalcord.uab.edu/show.a...1&return=21828
              From this, you should be able to decide if you need to increase daily fluid intake, drink a hot liquid or have a small meal about 20 min before your bowel program, increase fiber in your diet (a new product on the market is Benefiber...a guar gum product that is easy to use, dissolves completely, no taste, no unpleasant texture: http://www.benefiber.com/index.jsp), add a suppository.

If you do not have results within a very short period of time, I would urge you to contact your doctor. Sometimes, a person can develop a blockage or become impacted, requiring medical attention. I would also urge you, once your get your bowel program working right for you, that you increase the frequency of your program to 2 to 3 times per week. CRF
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

Mad Producer - What do you mean by "Yea I always had a good results until I change my bed around."?

The general 'rule of thumb' in bowel programs is to change only one item at a time. I would urge you to read through the information provided by the University of Alabama, Spain Rehab Center in InfoSheet 9 on bowel programs: http://www.spinalcord.uab.edu/show.a...1&return=21828
                From this, you should be able to decide if you need to increase daily fluid intake, drink a hot liquid or have a small meal about 20 min before your bowel program, increase fiber in your diet (a new product on the market is Benefiber...a guar gum product that is easy to use, dissolves completely, no taste, no unpleasant texture: http://www.benefiber.com/index.jsp), add a suppository.

If you do not have results within a very short period of time, I would urge you to contact your doctor. Sometimes, a person can develop a blockage or become impacted, requiring medical attention. I would also urge you, once your get your bowel program working right for you, that you increase the frequency of your program to 2 to 3 times per week. CRF
                I was saying since I changed my bed around, I just haven't had good results.. I do it in bed sometime, so I was wondering do that play a part?

Comment

everyone forgets the simplest things here, "water" alot per day and exercise everydayu or ervery other, these 2 things make the biggest impact of all
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com
                  c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                  sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

" do my bowel program once a week,"

if this ain't unhealthy i don't know what is.

bowel distention, retained toxins, too much mass to move, risk of tissue tearing, bladder pressure

i would need surgery if i waited a week to empty out

Comment

Originally posted by crags:

" do my bowel program once a week,"

if this ain't unhealthy i don't know what is.

bowel distention, retained toxins, too much mass to move, risk of tissue tearing, bladder pressure

i would need surgery if i waited a week to empty out
                      Crags, Well I did do my bowel program every day, then it went every otherday, then twice a week.. You know when I did it like that, nothing would come.. So thats how it lead to once a week..What may be healthy for you may not be healthy for you, or vice versa.
                      You can't compare yourself to me, were two different people..

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps:

everyone forgets the simplest things here, "water" alot per day and exercise everydayu or ervery other, these 2 things make the biggest impact of all
                        I drink more than 8 glasses of water, and as I type this im working my left arm with a dumbbell, you super crip, gimp whatever.. So know the facts before you speak.

Comment

Do you drink alcohol at all? I had a beer with supper last saturday and sunday I had a REALLY good bm! Just a thought. Also, have you ever tried magic bullette sups? I use those when things dont move and they seem to move things along well. Keep lifting!
                          T-10 complete
                          10/08/01
                          "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO' what a ride!"

Comment

Mad Producer - your question has raised a variety of responses; I would urge everyone to heed a comment that you have said...Each is different and what is the right ADL for one person living with SCI is not necessarily the same for another. This forum is an opportunity for all to share their thoughts and their own experiences, but not to criticize another person's techniques/approaches to care.

I have to apologize as I am still trying to understand your comment about 'changing your bed'. Was it necessary to rearrange the location of your bed, if so, did that affect whether you did your bowel routine on the commode or in bed? If so, it is advisable, whenever possible, to be on the commode for your bowel program. By sitting upright, the force of gravity helps propel the stool down the descending colon on the left side of the body.

You have commented about how you gradually changed your program to once a week. The question that it raises, is why the frequency and good results diminished, as now you are finding bowel function even more delayed. Have you discussed this with your SCI doctor/nurse? Have you had a good evaluation of your GI tract to be sure that there are no changes occuring that may be affecting your bowel function? If you have not, I would encourage you to do so. As I had noted in an earlier post, you really should be emptying your colon about 2 to 3 times per week. CRF

Comment

try at least drink one gallon per day smart ass. i was offering a suggestion to your direct question, also incorporate at least 30min a day continuous cardio(preferably stationary hand cycle)as well as standing frame if u have one, lets gravity work on your insides

[This message was edited by fuentejps on 10-22-03 at 06:45 PM.]
                              Bike-on.com rep
                              John@bike-on.com
                              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Working...
                              X