Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stopping lyrica

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Stopping lyrica

    After only a week of being on it, I'm stopping lyrica. I actually stopped last night. What's the proper way, though? I was only taking 50 mg twice a day. It seems like a very low dose, and I don't have any pills of less than 50 mg, so I just completely stopped. Is this an okay way to do it?

    If not, how can I do it seeing that I only have 50 mg capsules?

    #2
    Hey sittin. How'd you ramp up? If you were on it for only a week, what about backing off it at the same pace?

    I ramped it down gradually until I was taking one capsule a day and then, none. I don't miss the Lyrica ... made me depressed and I gained weight. Ugh. As I've said before, I don't do depressed. Don't do fat either.

    The Lyrica is gone and life is much better.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by LaMemChose
      Hey sittin. How'd you ramp up? If you were on it for only a week, what about backing off it at the same pace?

      I ramped it down gradually until I was taking one capsule a day and then, none. I don't miss the Lyrica ... made me depressed and I gained weight. Ugh. As I've said before, I don't do depressed. Don't do fat either.

      The Lyrica is gone and life is much better.
      I started out at 50 mg twice a day. This was Thursday night last week. The last dose I took was Wednesday morning (yesterday). So I took a total of twelve 50 mg pills.

      I thought about taking one this morning, since it had been 24 hours since my last dose. But I thought that since I only took the medicine for less than a week I may be able to get away with just completely stopping. I do feel kind of crappy today, but I have some other issues going on that may be causing it. I can always take one dose later on today, but would really prefer not to if it's not necessary from a safety standpoint.

      What dosage/frequency were you on?

      Thanks for the input...

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by sittinsux
        I started out at 50 mg twice a day. This was Thursday night last week. The last dose I took was Wednesday morning (yesterday). So I took a total of twelve 50 mg pills.

        I thought about taking one this morning, since it had been 24 hours since my last dose. But I thought that since I only took the medicine for less than a week I may be able to get away with just completely stopping. I do feel kind of crappy today, but I have some other issues going on that may be causing it. I can always take one dose later on today, but would really prefer not to if it's not necessary from a safety standpoint.

        What dosage/frequency were you on?

        Thanks for the input...
        I took 50 mg. three times/day at optimum dose. My schedule for starting was funky as my doctor was backing me off Neurontin/gabapentin at the same time as he was starting me on Lyrica.

        Oddly enough, Lyrica provided the first real relief I'd had in 13 years from the neuropathic pain. It wasn't gone, but was a marked iprovement. Due to the depression and weight gain, I weaned off the Lyrica. For me, that was a good move.

        Hope you feel better soon.

        Comment


          #5
          LaMemChose/Others,

          How did you gain weight with Lyrica--did it increase your appetite, slow your metabolism?

          Thx,
          Susan
          Please submit your photo and story of hope:

          http://bridges2hope.unite2fightparalysis.org/


          http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

          Comment


            #6
            Lyrica

            increase appetite , was eating everything I could get my hands on . So I said enough of this , I dont want to go in a state of depression again .
            SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

            When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
            -anonymous

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by razzle51
              increase appetite , was eating everything I could get my hands on . So I said enough of this , I dont want to go in a state of depression again .
              Thx, Razzle. I just started Lyrica last Wednesday--so far no increase in appetite (crossing fingers). Did that side effect start right away?
              Please submit your photo and story of hope:

              http://bridges2hope.unite2fightparalysis.org/


              http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

              Comment


                #8
                Lyrica

                oh dear about a week . Hope you wont have that feeling . But gaining weight is a side effect . They say its the little sis to Neurontin . Makes people dizzy too.
                SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

                When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
                -anonymous

                Comment


                  #9
                  Susan,

                  I have been on Lyrica for a few months now, and haven't seen any weight gain or increase in appetite. I was concerned about that myself, as I don't want to gain any weight, could still stand to lose a bit. I found it has made quite a difference in my pain levels. I base that on the amount of other pain meds I take, and they have been cut it half. I haven't seen any effect as far as depression either, no better - no worse there. I take 100 mg am and pm, and 50 mg mid-day. Hopefully you won't have any side effects as well, but I know from reading here a lot of people do.

                  edited to add: I also ramped up to this dose.
                  T7-8 since Feb 2005

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Thx, sjean. I decided to try Lyrica on the advice of my Physiatrist. My forearms often feel really tight like bands are tightening around them. This causes my arms to feel really heavy and triggers major forearm/hand spasms. My forearms also feel extremely cold to me, but warm to the touch. It is not painful, though. The Lyrica is really alleviating the tightness and cold feeling. A major relief. I'm taking 2-50mg tabs/day. No side effects so far. Slight euphorea for about 10 min. after taking them. So far, no increase in appetite. I'm hoping this won't kick in over time.

                    Edited to add: the only other med I take is 10 mg of Ditropan at bedtime. I'm wondering if the Lyrica side effects experienced are related to drug-drug interactions.
                    Last edited by Susan M; 25 Jul 2006, 1:56 PM.
                    Please submit your photo and story of hope:

                    http://bridges2hope.unite2fightparalysis.org/


                    http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Hey Susan. I had increased appetite, a slowed metabolism and I was depressed as hell on Lyrica. It was a horrid combination even though Lyrica did provide the first relief of any sort in thirteen years for the neuro pain.

                      I'm back to a reduced dosage of Neurontin.

                      Hope the Lyrica works for you Susan. It actually did for me, but the side fx outweighed any benefit.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X