Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BM behaviour

Dear kld,

my second question is about pre surgery, now that I am experiencing this problem. The last couple of years my BM behaviour has changed and instead of every other day I now go to the toilet everyday, sometimes not the same time and sometimes twice a day. Happily my body is warning me that I soon have to evacuate my bowels by not letting my bladder to empty. I use an external condom catheter. Is this problem related to rectal prolapse ?

Thanks.

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
    Standing should not be a problem.

If you are straining (valsalva) to have a bowel movement or urinate then you should attempt to use other techniques.

If you have surgery, you will not be allowed to sit for about a week, and strongly advised to find another way to manage your bowels.

(KLD)

Comment

Do you strain or perform the valsalva maneuver to empty your bladder or your bowels? Do you sit for prolonged periods of time on the commode or toilet with your perineum unsupported? These are high risks behaviors for developing rectal prolapse.

The good colorectal physicians I know who know SCI are in California at Stanford University and the University of CA at San Diego.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

valsalva maneuver ??? link for more info ???

Can you please send me a link to read about it ? I do not know anything about it. Since I live in a country with total population of 700,000 and total number of paraplegics and quadroplecigs from SCI not more than 200 (two hundred) you can understand that we do not have specialized services as in the US.

Thanks

Do you strain or perform the valsalva maneuver to empty your bladder or your bowels? Do you sit for prolonged periods of time on the commode or toilet with your perineum unsupported? These are high risks behaviors for developing rectal prolapse.

The good colorectal physicians I know who know SCI are in California at Stanford University and the University of CA at San Diego.

(KLD)

Comment

Valsalva Maneuver is just straining by closing the glottis (in your throat) and "pushing" as a woman would in labor or an AB would when trying to have a bowel movement when constipated.

A strain against a closed airway combined with muscle tightening, such as happens when a person holds his or her breath and tries to move a heavy object. Most people perform this maneuver several times a day without adverse consequences, but it can be dangerous for anyone with cardiovascular disease. Pilots perform this maneuver to prevent black-outs during high-performance flying.
          (KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

KLD- Do you know of any decent colonrectal surgeons in the NYC center worth visiting for consult.

Those who choose the colostomy route - i'm a c4 quad complete and would be unable to change it on my own. i work full time and am nervous that if i do not have someone around i'll run into a problem. how often do you change or empty your bag.

Comment

use of ab muscles instead

Thanks for the explanation. I try using my abdominal muscles (those which are still working) to help BM and it works. Does this cause strain ?

I am really suprised that there is no treatment which will be 100% succesfull and get your body back to normal for rectal prolapse.

Unfortunately we are spending too much for weapons instead.

Thanks

Valsalva Maneuver is just straining by closing the glottis (in your throat) and "pushing" as a woman would in labor or an AB would when trying to have a bowel movement when constipated.

(KLD)

Comment

Yes, if you are pushing stool out with your abdominal muscles, you are straining and doing the Valsalva maneuver. Try using a suppository instead to get stool down into your rectum and then manually remove it.

(KLD)

Comment

for anyone who has ever had prolapsed hemmoriods has anyone undergone the HPP / Hemorrhoid Prolapse Procedure?

I have a surgeon who wants to do it but I am not sure he understands the SCI side effects of AD etc. If anyone has had procedure would really apppreciate hearing experiece.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, I guess "prolapsing " has got my attention. HPP looks like a real blast
                  procedure: http://www.hemorrhoid.net/procedure_prolapse.php

Rectal Prolapse and Procidentia :http://www.hemorrhoid.net/prolapse.php

Good Luck Dimi. Hope you find relief to your situation.

Comment

was wondering, since sitting is a problem, would the rectal prolapse cause spasms even when sitting in the w/c or other places like the bed?

Comment

Prolapsed Rectom

App.Two years ago i was diagnosed with a prolapsed rectum.
                      First i did not no what the heck was going on. So went to see three
                      different doctors along with one who spec. in this field. Well they all came up with the same solution. To have a colostomy. Hell i said
                      NO WAY. To each of them.
                      Anyway after a month running around with this thing hanging out and
                      giveing me every problem in the book a living hell. Thought it was time to do something on my own. So came up with an idea.
                      After trial and error for a couple of weeks i finally got it to work in part. Hell i say. Now i have more problems to solve. Now to come to a
                      early finish here i solved them. As far as i no i am the only one to do so.
                      It was a long hard battle i tell you. But on monday i am going
                      swimming. I will never be perfect but i will take what i got.
                      Luck to all Whinton

Comment

Holy crap! (Pun intended) how exactly were u diagnosed & is this inevitable? TMI but here goes: i only go when something is at the door so to speak. Wrong technique? U betcha but what i do & works tolerably. When ready, i 'grab' via dig stim way the hospital did. Am i at risk? Im sure for a list of other probs...

Comment

prolapsed retum

Just push it up with your hand and hold while you sit down.
                          Do this gently.
                          Last edited by whinton; 26 Jan 2011, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Holy crap! (Pun intended) how exactly were u diagnosed & is this inevitable? TMI but here goes: i only go when something is at the door so to speak. Wrong technique? U betcha but what i do & works tolerably. When ready, i 'grab' via dig stim way the hospital did. Am i at risk? Im sure for a list of other probs...
                            Last edited by jb; 26 Jan 2011, 10:07 PM. Reason: double posts

Comment

Id get the surgery I think, try my best to learn preventitive techniques, and if it did not work I would to to the colostomy.
                              Kld, how would someone better support the perrinium while sitting on the thunder box?

Comment

I can't think of a way to better support the perineal area but the less straining through the use of high fiber, liquids, stool softeners, suppositories an enemeez is recommended.
                                CWO

Comment

Working...
                                X