Metamucil/milk of magnesia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metamucil/milk of magnesia

Would using these two products at the same time counter the effects of each other?

I'm trying to get a regular program going, and have had no luck. i'm c5/6, 4yrs post...& have had horriblr ab pain over the last year
    Last edited by Snooz; 04-26-2006, 02:42 PM.
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

My husband takes both every night. Seems to be working fine for him.

Comment

If you do take both, I would recommend Metamucil 1-2x daily(won't work intermittently) and take MOM 3x weekly along with dig stim for bowel evacuation.

AAD
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
        If you do take both, I would recommend Metamucil 1-2x daily(won't work intermittently) and take MOM 3x weekly along with dig stim for bowel evacuation.

AAD
        Is this recommendation for a bowel maintenance program or is it more for clearing up constipation? I'm pretty sure I'm slightly constipated right now, so I want to take care of that but I also want to develop a good bowel maintenance program, too.
        "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
        ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
        ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
        ...George Bernard Shaw

Comment

OK, I started using Metamucil three days ago, and for the last two days I had no result from my bowel program. This morning I had a fairly large result, and it was pretty soft.

My question is... when should I expect regularity? I was stopped up pretty badly, and I imagine there's still plenty firm fecal matter up in there. Will everything just even out? I also imagine there's probably A LOT of stool still inside of me overall. I probably need to have result that's about 2-3 days big before I'm back to normal and the whites of my eyes aren't brown! Will this just eventually happen on its own?

If I take milk of magnesia in the meantime will that get more out so that I can be caught back up?
          ...Mark Twain

...Winston Churchill

...George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hi,

Metamucil alone is rarely enough for a regular bowel program.
            Adding MOM 3x weekly along with dig stimulation is a regular program many people use. If you are very constipated now, to catch up, you could try the MOM but if no result, I would take a bottle of Citrate of Magnesium to clean everything out first then begin the Met/MOM.

AAD
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
            X