swimming pool & suprapubic catheter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swimming pool & suprapubic catheter

Anyone have any ideas on how to keep outside water from entering the stoma around a suprapubic catheter? We are considering putting in a pool, but I want it to be something my husband can use as well. He is concerned about the issue of keeping the pool water from entering in around the catheter site and causing a possible infection. We think a pool would be a wonderful thing if we can solve this problem.

Let me do some investigation about this and get back to you. In the meantime maybe others out there with a sp catheter will give you some of their suggestions. It might be that you can put an occlusive type dressing around the site but I will check that out first. PLG
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

With some initial investigation I found some info on the web. Most info I found stated to avoid swimming.

However, I did find one site called Med Help International that talked about doing it. Of course you need to check with your husband's urologist before attempting this activity, just to make sure it is OK with him first. I am assuming it is not a new SP tube. It is recommended that a person NOT go swimming for several weeks following the procedure to allow time for the site to heal. Then after it is healed it might be OK to go swimming only if the catheter is well secured and taped at the entry site as well as plugged (to prevent any pool water from entering). Your husband's urologist can best teach you how to protect the site if he allows your husband to go swimming. Good luck. PLG
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

my brother has had his sp tube for two years. when it was put in, his urologist said there would be no problem with swimming. i just put in a plug for that hour, and didn't use a drsg. no ill effects.

Comment

I've had a SP for 22+ years and never though of not going swimming. I have a Pool with a hoyer lift that I enter with and just use a regular leg bag on my thigh (Live in South Florida) I swim alot! I even had my Deck Boat setup with a mount to slide the Hoyer in so I could get in the River & Ocean. If urine doesn't leak out why would water "leak" in? I never really tought about it before.

"Yesterday's History,Tomorrow's a Mystery"

Comment

Our clients swim with both urethral and suprapubic catheters all the time with no problem. I would agree to avoid this during the first month after a new suprapubic is placed, since it does take a while for the area to heal and develop the ability to seal well to the catheter.

We do not recommend clamping off the catheter and removing the bag. The less often you disconnect bag from catheter the better for infection purposes.

(KLD)

Comment

hawk, we have a pontoon boat here on the lake. i was wondering if you have a picture of your hoyer set-up on the boat. my brother is c5-6 and uses a hoyer regularly, it would be so cool for him to go swimming in the lake. do you take the upper part of the hoyer stand with you? we have an extra net. i'm not sure if the hoyer would go low enough from the deck of the pontoon boat. thanks, debra

Comment

We have a pontoon boat and don't need to use a hoyer lift to get in on the the boat.We secure the boat to the dock by tying it tight. We open the gate and wheel me on and off. The problem with a hoyer lift and getting in and out of the water from a pontoon boat, you might have a problem due to the fact you have to lower the net below the deck of the boat. Consider a cargo lift. We bought one from West Marine. It slips into a collar that goes below the deck.But we have never used it. Don't need to, as I can be wheeled on board. Julie Z

Comment

Lilsister, sorry I can't find any pictures and right now the boat is 100 miles away,it's a sleve that was made up for the hoyer to slip into also you will need an old crank hoyer that if you were on the floor it could pick you up,lastley you need a large inner tube because the lift doesnt go to the water..thinking about extending the boom like the one I have on my swimming pool.

Comment

thanks for the reply, hawk! we went out to check on the boat today after it wintered at the marina, and it looks fine-just needs a good scrubbing! we use a portable ramp to get the powerchair on the boat, julia-just thought it would be nice to get him in the water from the boat. the hoyer thing sounds neat, hawk, we have hoyer lift that was bought three years ago so it's hydraulic, i think, i just pump the handle. extentions eh? you are keeping my mind working overtime! at an adaptive waterski event i saw someone, i think quad, using an air mattress with a built up back and arm rest. now wouldn't that be cool to lower into that- it seems to sit pretty high in the water. and it had a drink holder which we all know is important in the heat. wonder if he will let me put an umbrella in his drink?

Comment

I've had my SP for 4 years, and swim all summer with it. I use Tagaderm and sandwich them on either side of the stoma sight and to the skin. When I swim in the ocean, I do the same, but place more tagaderms to the top and bottom on the skin for added protection. I just wont go in a lake, I feel too nervous about doing that. The tagaderm patches are a bit tricky to remove though, it takes some patience.

Comment

Working...
                      X