intermittent catheters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intermittent catheters

Is there a male catheter that is long enough to use without having to use a urinal? It seems like the catheter should be long enough for a male in a wheelchair to reach the toilet. My husband is a quad and it takes him so much longer to set up a urinal and get all ready than it would if he could just cath and have it drain directly to the toilet. Anyone know of anything? Thanks

You can buy an extension tube that connects directly to the catheter and drains right into the toilet. This is what my husband does, no urinal needed.

Comment

Originally posted by ginamarie
      You can buy an extension tube that connects directly to the catheter and drains right into the toilet. This is what my husband does, no urinal needed.
      same here.

Comment

An extension tube works great for going directly to the toilet or you may want to use a leg bag attached to the catheter.

JM
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

When I am out and about, I use these:

http://www.mentorcorp.com/bladder-co...h-hydrogel.htm

The covering sleeve becomes an extension tube and allows you to pee into toilet.
          "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Thank you all so much. I don't know why I didn't think of an extension tube. Such a simple solution. I'll tell him to try that. It will make life so much easier, not to mention will get him more sleep since he caths at night and it usually takes so long.

Comment

Thanks for the link McDuff. How much are those caths with the sleeve compared to just a regular cath, no sleeve? I use just a regular catheter, 14fr, 16 inch, no sleeve or anything. The sleeve would alleviate the worry about clean hands, etc.

Is there a big price difference?
              Thanks friend
              Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
              Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Rdf, no they are more expensive. More along the lines of the other "travel cath", self-lubed solutions. Hopefully they will come down some,as they are still pretty new to market. They should, lots less plastic involved w/ no bag to them. But I think the "hydrogel" is the new technology involved and may delay the price fall.

I use a reg, 14fr 16in cath at home too.
                "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Thanks McDuff. Let's hope the price comes down. They'd be great for traveling, which I plan on doin much of in the future.

Thanks!

Comment

where do you guys buy connectors for extension tubing? I've been cannibalizing leg bags for them.
                    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
                    Winston Churchill

Comment

You don't need a connector. The extension tube is smaller on one end and fits right into the catheter. We bought these tubes at the pharmacy at the Shepherd Center. I know that they will mail whatever you need. They are not expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by KVP612
                        where do you guys buy connectors for extension tubing? I've been cannibalizing leg bags for them.
                        I buy connectors and tubing for my internal cath at the local hardware store.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Rolfe
                          I buy connectors and tubing for my internal cath at the local hardware store.
                          I got my tubing at the hardware store, but I didn't see any connectors.
                          "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
                          Winston Churchill

Comment

Hey McDuff, if you read this. Which med supplier do you use to get those Hydrogel caths?
                            I'd like to have a proven company if I can. I need to order some for the road.
                            thanks

Thanks!

Comment

do most cath with a glove on or just wash hands prior or just use a anti-bacterial gel.
                              Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

Comment

Working...
                              X