How often do quads need to shower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do quads need to shower?

I am a C5/6 quad and I no longer sweat at all, even during episodes of AD. I regularly wash my hands and face and my stoma is cleaned nightly. My fiancé has said that body odor isn't a problem with me, and my skin doesn't seem oilaly. I'm wondering how often I need to shower and what medical factors are involved?

Thanks, Jay
    Last edited by JayColorado; 3 Jan 2006, 9:56 PM.

Umm, basic hygiene?

Why would you worry about medical issues from a shower unless maybe you're vent dependent?

Personally, I can't start my day without a shower.

Comment

Its nice to sit sudsy under some hot water at least every other day for me...while still keepin squeaky clean in between..Make sure your dryin out round sack really good or you'll be mushroom farmin..

Comment

i understand if you just cant but i shower every morning. i dont feel right if i dont. dunno about medical issues but clean as possible is always good imo.

Comment

For me, it's daily. It takes time, but so what? I can and I do. Even at the last round of rehab four and a half years ago (to learn life totally from the chair), I saw what they did and did it myself after the first day. They said they had to be in the bathroom with me to make sure I didn't fall. I told them great, but I was getting in the shower. Several times over the month I was there, they tried to tell me they did not have time to be in the bathroom for me to shower. I told them it was their problem, not mine and rolled to the bathroom anyway.
          I don't know about you, but a shower is a great way to start the day. If you can, why not?
          Sometimes it's more than once if I have a bowel/bladder accident, but that's okay, too.
          What were your shower/grooming habits before SCI?

Comment

Jay,

When I saw the thread's title I thought "oooh no, not one of those -- they only want to do me once a week" and thankfully it's not that.

If you can do it every day. It's not that you sweat or don't. It's what other air (even if you're fully clothed) gets in touch with you.

I go every day.

Cheers!
            Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Comment

Our standard with inpatients is to bathe people after their bowel care, however often that is. You might use that as your standard. Doing so could reduce the number of urinary tract infections you might get and prevent yeast infections in your groin.

RAB
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone. I certainly like showering, but my concern was just the time it takes. I pay for my CNA's out-of-pocket so the extra time it takes gets expensive at $25 an hour. Before I was injured I was showering twice a day because that was how often I was working out. I think the best balance for me may be every other day.

Comment

I think every other day sounds like a good plan to me. Loved the mushroom farming comment. Made me laugh.

Tanya

Comment

In the rehabilitation hospital, we got showers every other day (probably because of the time and staffing issues). I definitely would have problems taking a shower once a week or so ...

CNA's are about $25/hr in Denver, JayColorado?
                    Daniel

Comment

Ewww Shaun, you're gross.

I agree about good hygiene, quad or not so try to shower at least 3 times a week.
                      Last edited by antiquity; 7 Jan 2006, 3:06 PM.

Comment

I shower Chad .... er, endeavor to showe Chad, every other day. If he spends 2 days down in bed, I will sometimes stretch it out to every 3rd day, but he starts to smell ripe about the 2nd day so I'm inspired to do the hoisting to get him clean.... for our marital health!
                        Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

For in between, or when you really need to get clean but can’t get in the shower, check these out:

A handheld “bidet” that’s super easy to install, and use on the toilet:
                          http://www.sanicare.com/mini-shower.html

And the site has tons of other options:
                          http://www.sanicare.com/

I also like No-Rinse [the brand name] Bathing Wipes (I think they’re called). I’ve seen them in sporting goods stores for backcountry use (also make leave-in shampoo and other stuff), but you can get them at www.Drugstore.com. They make you smell like baby powder and just feel fresher. Things called Comfort Bath are also out there for this purpose, but I think they smell bad and leave you feeling sticky.

Here's a link. They make tons of stuff; the wipes are on top.
                          http://www.drugstore.com/search/sear...earch=No+Rinse
                          Last edited by singin_intherain; 7 Jan 2006, 4:41 AM.

Comment

I was in inpatient rehab for three months and got three showers.....once a month whether I needed it or not! haha......I take a shower every day now.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone, and yes CNA's are $25 an hour if you go to an agency in Colorado. I've had trouble hiring people on my own because of where I live. It's just hard to find good help. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X