neuron injury. My rehab Dr. said that the injury is more of a cauda
    equina injury than a spinal cord injury and that it takes up to
    2 years for the nerves to heal and get anything back. I don't have
    spasms and I have very flaccid legs. Thanks, Matt

Try here:

http://carecure.org/forum/showthread...t=cauda+equina

Or here:

http://carecure.org/forum/showthread...t=cauda+equina
    Last edited by lynnifer; 6 Dec 2005, 2:05 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

So, I hear that SCI is unique for everyone and people get returns at different rates, even at the same vertebral level.

I suppose it has to do with how badly the injury took place, % of canal compromise, etc. and especially for burst compression fractures, how quickly the decompression/fusion takes place and whether methylprednisone was administered.

So the question is really, what therapies and exercises might help activate what muscles are still weakly innervated and help encourage return ... aside from the standing frame and stuff, are there things that might help?
      Daniel

Comment

The best approach is probably to use your walker and exercise in moderation. You don't want to fatigue muscles that are just coming back so functional use within the range of comfort and moderation is probably the best thing you can do.

RAB
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
        X