Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many SCI's experience a drop in blood pressure after eating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maryonwheels46
    This is all kinda strange. I always heard that bp is lower if you don't eat. I hope mine don't ever do it because my norm is 90/60 and sometimes 86/54. Very interesting post. Wonder if this applies to AB's also?
    Mary
    Hi Mary,

One of many reasons for siestas? lol
    Even AB's get drowsy after a meal.
    Your blood rushes to your stomach to digest your meal,
    lowers your blood pressure, and makes you light headed.
    That's what my Dr. says happens.
    It's just worse on sci.
    sigpic

Comment

Post-prandial hypotension in SCI has been discussed here before. We don't know why some get it and others don't but it is more common in higher injuries.

Here is an interesting article about using water to increase blood pressure in people with SCI, which might be interesting to try to see if it could be used to prevent or treat post-prandial hypotension:

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/41/6/1234

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Mona, never looked at it that way. Yep, full belly= nap= get fat.
        I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
        Van Morrison

Comment

I voted for my son, Justin c5 c6 who always gets very(fatigued) tired after eating, his pain levels go way up, he gets dizzy sometimes, hicups sometimes, complains of a tired jaw sometimes. He just cordinates his pain medication after eating and he tries to just eat a bunch of small meals because the bigger and heavier they are the worse it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by maryonwheels46
            Mona, never looked at it that way. Yep, full belly= nap= get fat.

LOL That's for sure! You're too funny Mary.

Joseph

just eat a bunch of small meals because the bigger and heavier they are the worse it gets.
            That's what I do too Joseph
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X