How do you wash hair in bed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you wash hair in bed?

There comes a point where sponge baths and washcloths can only do so much with hair.... any suggestions for washing hair essentially "in bed" or in a manual, non-tilt wheelchair?

Methinks I'm gonna drive you guys nuts with questions.... sorry.
    Mrapunzel

Fear Less... Hope More...
    Whine Less... Breathe More...
    Talk Less... Say More...
    Hate Less... Love More...
    And All Good Things Are Yours.

I did a quick Google and found THIS:

Scroll down a bit on the page. There are a few items that may be of help to you. Now rinse and repeat!
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

We own several of the EZ Shampoo Basin and Shower items to use for washing bedrest patient's hair in the hospital. They work well. You can drain the EZ Basin into a bucket. You can just use a large cup to pour water instead of the shower unit if you want. We have IV poles to hang the shower unit on, but this may be a problem at home.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

While in the hospital, one nurse would use a large plastic bag and put towels under my neck with the bag under my head and on the towel. Then just use cups of water and the bag holds the water.

` Signatures for Spinal Cord Research

Comment

Thanks guys! You're awesome, I appreciate the wisdom

*tacklehugs*

~ M
          Mrapunzel

Fear Less... Hope More...
          Whine Less... Breathe More...
          Talk Less... Say More...
          Hate Less... Love More...
          And All Good Things Are Yours.

Comment

Hi, when we were in the ICU they had these fantastic disposable heated shower caps that had a no-rinse shampoo you just massaged in. So easy to use, and smelled great. They don't have them in rehab but if I find out the brandname I'll post it.

Comment

Do you have an over toilet commode? I know it sounds really gross, but if you get a CLEAN insert for it, and put it at the end of your bed you can hang your head into it and have plenty of 'tub' to dip your head into. My Mom came up with that ingenious idea; boy it sure was handy when I had staples in my gut and couldn't get outta bed to take a shower. You can use a big cup or kettle to pour water over your head.
              Best of Luck!
              Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey.
              Always remember: if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Comment

No-Rinse Shampoo Cap

Check out the No-rinse shampoo cap. We have used these before.
                http://www.norinse.com/medicalshampoocap.htm

t

Comment

when i first got outta rehab, i had to live in an apt. where i couldnt fit in the bathroom so no shower. i used to get up close to the kitchen sink an lean my head over.

Comment

My last day at Methodist Hospital, a female doc came in put a plastic trash bag over top end of my bed, and a towel flat over that. She placed (what looked like what executives use to putt golf balls in their office..made out of plastic.

The top part or (the hole in one area) was pressed down at an angle and my head fit into the round circle and the spiral down part was turned to let the water run into a plastic bucket she put beside my bed.

She poured water on my head, shampooed and rinsed. Removed it and set it aside and used the towel to dry my hair...and away she went. It must have been something she or the hospital devised for patients who couldn't be moved, but it worked great.

Queen
                    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

Comment

I'll never forget ...

.. the first time I washed Bill's hair when he was in the hopspital after his injury (we rigged up the gadget KLD refers to) ... and for some reason it just became this very tender moment .... he said it felt better than sex {sigh} ...

Obieone
                      ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
                      Jane Siberry

Comment

What I do, is have my PCA place the commode seat next to my bed, being careful not to pinch the catheter extension tube (it happened once and I created another problem, so be careful of this). We then put a towel over the side of the bed and another one on the closed commode seat. Then I take a big pot and place it on the commode seat, and have a bucket of warm water. I kind of wiggle with assistance to the edge of the bed, with my head over the bucket, Using a cup my PCA purs water over my head and allows it to drain into the bucket. Then I use a shampoo, conditioner combined that Avon makes (I sell Avon). My PCA uses a large cup to pour the water over my head to rinse my hair. Then after its risnsed we dry my hair with a towel, and hairdryer.

I am going to look into purchasing the hair washing things that were suggested and I have bookmarked the site, as I do think it will be much more comfortable for me.
                        Disability is not a medical problem with social issues, but rather a social problem with medical issues.
                        Franklin D. Rosevelt

Comment

we will use my son's rolling table, it adjusts up and down, then he just leans over a bowl and I pour water over, drain, shampoo , drain, and then rinse, good luck

Comment

Working...
                          X