No announcement yet.

what is the big secret about bowel programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ground flax a few times a week is a fantastic source of fiber. and its great for your heart and cholesterol. google it , there are many studies on its benefits. i sprinkle it on my mini wheats once a week and mix a teaspoon full w/ oj 2x a week

i think if i didnt have the bowel control i have and had to do a bp, i think i would do the colostomy.
    Last edited by fuentejps; 28 Jul 2005, 7:47 AM.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I was told that stopping and starting the dig stim confuses your body. THat you should do it for about 15 20 minutes without stopping. If you stop for too long your colon thinks it should stop. WHen you start again it has to start over and you may never get cleared. I have a much lower injury though.
      If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

I know of no scientific evidence that supports this. I do not teach it this way either, and the clinical practice guidelines on bowel management in SCI do not indicate that this is an appropriate technique. I teach 5 minutes of dig stim, then rest 5 minutes, then repeat until empty. Dig stim has less effect on the colon than it does on the anal sphincter. The purpose of digital stimulation is to fatigue the anal sphincter so that it will relax and allow stool to pass. The suppository does much more for increasing colon motility and movement of stool into the rectum.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Dear SCI nurse,
          what is the correct way to do digital stimulation? Should the finger be inserted . just inside the anus or the whole way up?
          My husband does my digital stimulation and he has a very large hands will this hurt me? Should we still use the five minutes on five-minute break?
          Sometimes it feels like it's really hurting me. I'm a C6 complete quad , and I have to use all of the tolls of the bowel program. Including laxatives, stools softeners, and suppositories as well as digital stimulation. I never feel like I've gone completely. Please help,
          Lori
          sigpicPlease Visit My Blog at: http://queenquad.blogspot.com

But those who wait on the Lord
          Shall renew their strength;
          They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
          They shall run and not be weary,
          They shall walk and not faint
          Isaiah 40:31

Comment

My bowels have been crazy in the past few days ... I bitched about it in a previous post ... backed up for 3 days, then it's been pretty much non-stop loose stool for the past 24 hours now. I've had to replace my soiled bedsheets 3 times within 4 hours (actually my mom did, and now she's really upset with me).

When it starts coming out like this, what can I do to calm down my bowels? Also, what should I do to make sure I've completely gone? I tried sitting on the commode for a while (between 5-10 mins each time I dig-stim/manual evacuation) and then feeling to see if I'm completely empty (which seems I am) ... if I'm empty after two cycles, I get up. But, when it's loose like this, after getting up/walking around for a while, my bowels start moving again.
            Daniel

Comment

I would recommend that you get a copy of the booklet "Neurogenic Bowel: What you should know" from the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine. It describes the proper way to do dig stim. You can also see it demonstrated (a slightly different technique) in the video "Accidents Stink!"

Using one finger, your husband will not be doing you damage. Pain is common with sensation, and can cause AD if you are at risk. Using 2% lidocaine jelly (prescription) for the lubricant with help with both these problems. The finger should be inserted to just past the second joint. Most of the stretch should be at the anus, without too much pressing inside on the rectum itself. Our male nurses who have big hands also use the 5 minutes on/5 minutes off technique.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Dear SCI nurse,
                what is AD? I'm sorry . I'm not familiar with that term.
                Thanks again,
                Lori

Comment

We find best results with a daily Enemeez mini-enema, which brings about half the stool accumulation out, followed by digital stim, which brings the rest. When doing the dig stim, I don't feel internal relaxation, but when the stool starts pressing my finger out, I know I've won. On a good day we're finished in 20 minutes.
                  Our accident rate is down to maybe once a month; still too chicken to stop using diapers, though.
                  We started using Ducolax suppositories (as suggested at the rehab center), but they overstimulated the rectum & we had bowel programs that would go for hours at a time, together with frequent accidents. Discovering Enemeez was a real relief.
                  I admit I wonder if this success will continue, or if in time the body will get either used to or intolerant of the mini-enema. I take the point about chemicals & would be happier without the enema, which is docusate sodium & glycerin.
                  - Richard

Comment

AD = autonomic dysreflexia. I find it a little scary that someone with a C6 complete injury does not know about autonomic dysreflexia!

(KLD)

Comment

5 minutes of straight stimming? Wouldn't that be bad for hemmorhoids? I usually stim for about 30 seconds, wait 5 minutes, then stim again. Is that wrong?
                      www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

Bowles... what a nightmare

I think the Ol' Bowels are definitely one of the biggest Pains in the Ass we face. Certainly ranks high anyway! I found Magic Bullits worked best. I also found that I took tons of stool softeners, fiber, all kinds of drugs and still it was a nightmare for me. I ran so slow, I normally got impacted about every 2 weeks at least. I never really figured it out. I eventually got a Colostomy... that was the best thing ever did. Now I dont have to worry about it. I did have to figure out how to keep it soft for the Colostomy to work... but that was easier than sitting on the Commode for 30 Hours a week! Think about that! I was spending a Job (time) on the frigging toilet... No way! I cant see me struggling like that on the toilet for that long. For me , The Colostomy was the answer... never looked back! Thanks, Mike (Fla)
                        Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun
                          My secret is lots of leafy greens,V8 Juice (1ltr daily),bran muffin 2x daily,a good diet of protein,one senakot tablet the night before and a hot coffee while im sittin on the shitter.The end result is a huge formed toilet pluggin turd every second morning in a about 10min...

And exercise,lots of exercise..
                          AAAR! I hope you've got a good newspaper in there with yer coffee! Life don't get any better!

Comment

In my experience, 30 seconds of dig stim is often insufficient for achieving the anal sphincter muscle fatigue that you need for dig stim to be effective. If it works faster for you, more power to you, but I think you will find that relatively rare.

(KLD)

Comment

Autonomic dyreflexia

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
                              AD = autonomic dysreflexia. I find it a little scary that someone with a C6 complete injury does not know about autonomic dysreflexia!

(KLD)

Dear Nurse,
                              I think you misunderstood me. I do know what autonomic dyreflexia is. I was unfamiliar with it being abbreviated as Ad.
                              Thank you,
                              Lori

Comment

the program

i eat raisin bran cereal in the morning with a banana. drink a ton of water and green tea.I take flaxseed oil in the soft gel form. i take magnesium with my chewable calcium. every third morning I lay on my side and have a magic bullet and stim..15 minutes later regular suppository inserted,,,15 then another magic bullet...15 minutes then the last stim to get any juice out/ then wait 15minutes just in case. i always feel the ol blood pressure go up with all this.
                                lucky don't seem to have accidents. been getting by almost 35 years now.
                                figure i'm about as happy as i make my mind up to being.
                                good luck to you

Comment

Working...
                                X