Quadriplegia and chiropractor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quadriplegia and chiropractor?

Does anyone know if there is a risk in having some chiropractic work done on a quadriplegic? A couple of years ago I had my spine adjusted just using the clicker that chiropractors use. I had no manipulation done and no electrical stimulation was used. It really helped line my body up in the wheelchair. I was going to have it done again, but I wanted to check to make sure it couldn't hurt me in any way.

I've done it many times and have never had a problem. Before doing it, I asked my doctor and he said there is no problem.
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Thank you!

Thanks very much for your speedy reply!

Comment

I see one every week or two. No problems in 2 years, and it helps...

Comment

yup, i go weekly too. it helps with my lower back pain.
          May the fetus you save be gay

Comment

We medical types have some issues about chiropractics in people with SCI: It's probably not good to have your neck adjusted EVER (in our opinion). It's probably not good to have adjustments to the areas immediately above or below any instrumentation you have in your spine.

It is obviously your choice.

RAB
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I'm confused now. I had asked my Dr. about giong to the chiropractor about a year ago and she told me it would be pointless. She said that being a quad I had no muscles. That just by me getting back into my chair could simply make everything they done come undone. Because without the muscles my body wouldn't be able to hold it in place. Is this true at all then?
              Thanks,
              Niese

Comment

RAB, the reasons being...?

There are some very good chiros out there, while there are some nutcases too, I'll admit.
                Last edited by -scott-; 11 Jul 2005, 5:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Niese
                  I'm confused now. I had asked my Dr. about giong to the chiropractor about a year ago and she told me it would be pointless. She said that being a quad I had no muscles. That just by me getting back into my chair could simply make everything they done come undone. Because without the muscles my body wouldn't be able to hold it in place. Is this true at all then?
                  Barely. Chiropractic care, in it's true practice, is more focused on the nervous system than just straightening out ones spine. To put it simply, the goal is to remove interference to the nervous system so it can function optimally. This is often approached through so called "adjustments" to remove subluxations.

My adjustments hold correctly, but your doc does have a point... lack of muscles put a lot of stress on your spine (that would otherwise be better supported), which makes the care more difficult on a long-term basis. Is it pointless though? Not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6167
                    ...A couple of years ago I had my spine adjusted just using the clicker that chiropractors use. I had no manipulation done and no electrical stimulation was used. It really helped line my body up in the wheelchair. I was going to have it done again, but I wanted to check to make sure it couldn't hurt me in any way.
                    This form of adjustment uses an instrument called the Integrator, but may also be done by hand. It works by applying a gentle tapping to the spine, to encourage the bones to reposition themselves correctly. It can be applied to any part of the spine. The adjustments are very gentle and precise. It won't hurt you at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett
                      This form of adjustment uses an instrument called the Integrator, but may also be done by hand. It works by applying a gentle tapping to the spine, to encourage the bones to reposition themselves correctly. It can be applied to any part of the spine. The adjustments are very gentle and precise. It won't hurt you at all.
                      I totally agree w/u Scott.

If you can find a good chiropractor it is well worth it in my opinion. I started seeing one a year after my injury and she treated me with Sacro Occipital Technique and SOT Craniopathy, which helped alleviate the pain in my neck and right shoulder completely and also helped me regain some sensation and mobility thoughout my body. I always feel better after an adjustment and have never had to take any type of the pain medication because I have had no pain.

D
                      I'm not short im funsized!

Comment

I'm c5/6 incomplete and have been going to a Chiropractor for 8 years. I get adjusted about every three weeks.

It's true bad Chiropractors can cause serious harm. You should check them out thoroughly before choosing one. If they want to adjust you before seeing current x-rays, that is a good reason to find another.

Niese,

After we are injured our spine takes on a new alignment due to loss of muscle or because we now sit most of the time. Seeing a chiropractor regularly retrains the spinal column to stay in alignment. Like Scott said, when your spinal column is in alignment the central nervous system can work at peak performance.

Comment

I've seen chiropractors, but I've never noticed any improvement. My neck was always off-limits, though. I still get seen occasionally - I guess it's what's left of optimism in me.
                          Last edited by alan; 12 Jul 2005, 8:39 PM.
                          Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

I started seeing a chiropractor after I was discharged from the hospital. She took X-rays of my neck and was more concerned about doing an adjustment than I was. My injury is at C-2 and I am incomplete. I have an appointment tomorrow and I will have my neck and back adjusted manually, and also with the Activators, which I don't put much stock into. However, the Activators are a safer way to go.

http://carecure.org/forum/showthread...t=chiropractor
                            The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                            --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                            ––Paul Nussbaum
                            usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

i had a bad experiance with a chiropractor, he was alittle to gung-ho. there are good ones out there i suppose, but if they tell you they used to be a carpenter, look elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X