Ditropan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditropan?

Ok had a problem with leaking pee really bad the past 4 days.

Just took my first dose of Ditropan(spelling) how long does it take to wrok? when can i take off this leg bag and go back to my evey 3-4hre cathing program??
    Help
    Crash

Ditropan

How much are you taking? Generally if you are on the right dose it should be effective within 24 hours. Regular Ditropan must be taken 3-4X daily, while the XL (extended release) version can usually be taken just once.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Ditropan...

Thanks for your reply KLD..Im on OXYBUTYNIN 5mg,2x a day...Its generic for Ditropan...so when will it start to work?
      tahnk you
      carsh

Comment

Not enough

sounds like you should be taking the 5mgs more like 4x per day and try that, main drawback, dry mouth.

"Life is about how you
        respond to not only the
        challenges you're dealt but
        the challenges you seek...If
        you have no goals, no
        mountains to climb, your
        soul dies".~Liz Fordred
        "Life is about how you
        respond to not only the
        you have no goals, no
        mountains to climb, your
        soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

dry mouth

geesh im takin it 2x a day adn my mouth gets SO dry...I hate it! illask my dr if i should up the dosage or what?

Comment

ditropan

crashgirl246 - the onset of the response to oxybutynin should be no different than to ditropan. It is absorbed rapidly from the GI tract with onset of action in 3 to 6 hours and peak effect in 6 to 10 hours. Due to the drying effect, mouth care is particularly important; if you remain on this medication over time, you should increase your dental visits to a minimum of at least 2 times a year. Saliva actually acts to cleanse our gums and teeth of harmful bacteria (that lead to tooth decay); when meds reduce salivary production, this important action is lost.

If you are not getting a good response after 1 to 2 days on the medication, you should contact your urologist. Were you evaluated for a UTI prior to starting this medication? CRF
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Yo, Crashgirl!

I've posted exhaustively regarding intravesicular Ditropan (oxybutynin) -- instilling a Ditropan solution directly into the bladder.

Do a search under my name and read up. This may be an option for you. It's made the most dramatic difference in my post-SCI life!
              stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Ditropan

well thast good to know becaseu im tired of htis leg bag and bed bag at night. maybe tonight i will go solo...and pray for no accidents.

Ya this dry mouth really sucks. i was told on friday i had a UTI (not bad though the count was about 50,000 and 75,000-usually they treat when the count is at 100,000) so i got put on Cipro on Friday. and Sat i took my first dosage of Ditropan.
                So its been since sat am that i started. so i think i can take it out tonight adn try it...
                wish me luck
                tahnk you for your replies

Comment

ditropan

crashgirl246 - Are you drinking a good amount of fluids daily? You should be drinking about 8 - 8oz glasses of water or other fluids daily. This amount should be exclusive of any caffeinated or alcoholic beverages as both act as a diuretic and will deplete your body of needed fluid balance. Carbonated beverages/soda pop also is high in sugar, which should be avoided when you have an UTI, as this reduces your body's capacity to fight an infection. If you suspect a UTI, you should increase beyond this amount your fluid intake. It helps dilute the urine, flushing your kidneys and bladder; this also reduces the adherence of bacteria within the bladder. CRF

Comment

Crashgirl,
                    Be advised that as great as intravesicular ditropan has been (for me, anyway), its effectiveness is greatly compromised in the presence of UTI.
                    stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Hey Crash!

Hope things have leveled out for ya, I take ditropan too, 5mg twice a day, and have been for years, and haven't had a leak in year in years. Don't jump into major doses right away, give yourself time with everything first. Oh and if it's any consollation I hardly get dry mouth any more, if I do, it goes away pretty quick. The other thing I wanted to ask you is why your doc put you on Cipro the most heavy-duty antibiotic right off the hop like that? Usually a basic antibiotic would work like Macrobid or even Bactrim, instead of making yourself immune from from the best one there is. I always thought Cipro should be saved as a last resort. May-be the nurses could clarify that for us.

Comment

I use to have to take

6 50 mg tablets a day and it still did not work. I guess everyone is different. Ended up going with a sphincter operation and leg bag. Now my bladder can spasm out till its hearts delight. Guess going this route is probably not an option for a girl though, I would think there would be a couple of options though, that being either an Augmentation or an SP tube, the last option being a foley cath which, there again is not that great of an idea.

"Life is about how you
                        respond to not only the
                        you have no goals, no
                        mountains to climb, your
                        soul dies".~Liz Fordred
                        "Life is about how you
                        respond to not only the
                        you have no goals, no
                        mountains to climb, your
                        soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

NO THE FEELING GIRL!

i know there is not much to say when it comes to such a tragedy, however you seeem to keep an extremly positve, though ive been skydiving before, cant imagine now. I was injured on Nov. 17th 2001, 25 years old and need a little support these days. I prey for a cure and believe we will see one in the future. I know how you feel. Stay in tough with me my e-mail is sufajt@aol.com. I have some questions for ya.

susan r fajt
                          956-943-8412

Comment

One last thing about ditropan

Watch out for constipation!! Ditropan slows bowel motility and dries you up so you may want to consider upping or adding stool softeners.

"And so it begins."
                            "And so it begins."

Comment

Working...
                            X