Standing Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

standing frames

Eric - It is the end of a long day....define SCS please as I cannot. Thanks, CRF
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

standing frame

Just a note to suggest that those of you who expressed interest in standing, read Dr. Young's posted abstract on the benefits of standing. Most of the participants reported standing for about 40 min, 3 to 4 times per week. When engaging in deliberate muscle activity, it is important to allow a day of rest in between, i.e. about 48 hours between sessions. CRF
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

which one works best? What brands are using and the cost if you know?

Comment

Carl,

I posted a few on this thread, my insurance is paying for an Easy-Stand 5000:http://www.altimatemedical.com/ There're all about the same, some you can propel by yourself. I would assume they cost a few thousand, when I find out, I'll post it.

SCI-Nurse, you took some wind out of my sail, only three times a week? I had hopes of using it every day, no good?

Comment

passive standing

Rustyjames - Muscles do fatigue from activity, even in the presence of SCI. Since you do not have the usual means of recognizing stressed or fatigued muscles, it is important to follow a recognized routine. You would need to go through the same conditioning process as the non-disabled person who is on an exercise program. Generally, for the person who chooses to exercise daily, it is recommended that one alters the activity so that differing sets of muscles are doing the greater work. e.g. run/jog every other day and bike/swim/weights, on the alternate days, etc. When the muscles are deliberately exercised, there needs to be a day of rest in between. I am sure that many do not follow this approach, but certainly for the person with SCI, you increase the risk of increased spasticity and pain if muscles are over-worked; you can, also, experience muscle strain. CRF

Comment

Very nice links everyone. Thank you very much!

Comment

my son Ryan stands 3 to 4 hours a day. t-9 injured 9-15-01 and has been doing since jan.
                "When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion." — Abraham Lincoln

Comment

RustyJames, I dont mean to step on your thread but this deals with standing also,

I am T-10 with no spasms. I am in the process of getting RGO's. I plan on standing in these as much as possible. From what I have read here should I limit my standing? walking? I was looking forward to getting these and now I thing maybe I should look into a standing frame. Give me some pro's and con's of the two. Does anyone have RGO's??????

...act like a survivor not a victim.
                  T-10 complete
                  10/08/01
                  "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO' what a ride!"

Comment

This is my handmade Standing Frame.

It costed my family to make it about 50 USD.

In my opinion Standing Frame is a prerequisitive regulation for people in our condition (I'mT3-T4 two years post).
                    After one week of use I can already stand twice a day for 30-40 minutes.

Take Care
                    Vlady

www.vladi-g.hit.bg

[This message was edited by Vladko on Oct 11, 2002 at 02:14 PM.]
                    Vlady G
                    www.vladi-g.com

Comment

Rusty,

Everything I have gotten back has been by utilizing a standing frame or tilt table. I highly recommend it.

Good luck.

Deb
                      "Save the last dance for me!"

Comment

Question for those who use standing frames

I am considering a frame. Its comes down to the easystand 5000, and the econo stand by stand-aid. For those of you who use standing frames, do you have any thoughts on this? Also, any of you who have drawings or plans to build it yourself(standing frame), I would be interested in looking at that option also. btw- Vlady, couldnt get your page to load. Would like to see a pic of your frame. Erin, have you modified your standing frame (yet) so you can get upright?

[This message was edited by chasb on Oct 11, 2002 at 03:23 PM.]

Comment

I am a C6,C7 incomplete six months post. I am in the process of purchasing the easy stand 5000 my insurance company will pay for about half of it. I ask my pt therapist and my doctor where to spend my money braces or frame they both agreed the frame would be the best.

Comment

Originally posted by chasb:

btw- Vlady, couldnt get your page to load. Would like to see a pic of your frame.
                            I don't know what's the problem. Here it opens without any problems.
                            Do You mean that the pictures I've attached here can't be seen from you?

Vlady

www.vladi-g.hit.bg
                            Vlady G
                            www.vladi-g.com

Comment

Working...
                            X