No announcement yet.

Heterotopic Ossification (HO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone here had their HO removed? How long did it take to mature, is your mobility much better now, did it come back?

Comment

I'm glad this thread was resurrected. I'm having trouble lifting my left leg up - no problems with the right at all. How do you diagnose HO - xray or bone scan or? I had a pressure sore early and have been on bed-rest more than the normal person for many pressure sores.

As an aside, I recently purchased a power chair and it came with a deep contour Jay cushion - I love it. So much more comfortable and I sit so much better! I like the foam curved back too.

Once you're a 'senior' at this and have fallen out of the 'system' of seating, physiotherapists etc ... it's damn hard to get back in and get any attention when you're having issues. At least, I'm finding this in Canada.
      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

I know several people who had their HO removed. For some, that was the end of it. For a couple of people, it reoccurred. Both of these people had the surgery several times due to the severe limitations it placed on even being seated. Usually surgery is not offered unless it is severely limiting your mobility.

HO is diagnosed with an xray and bone scan. It takes anywhere from 6 months to a couple of years to mature. And there are medications that can help to slow down the growth.

CKF
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Catch 22 - treating HO and pressure wound bone infection

If HO in the trochanter is causing a pressure wound that causes infection in the bone, what treatment follows?

As I understand it, surgically removing the HO before its maturity can cause it to flare up even worse. But if osteomyelitis is setting in and needs to be removed, or a flap surgery is needed to heal the wound, how is that done without agitating the HO?

And, if a flap surgery is performed over active HO, wouldn't the risk of another pressure sore in that area be high?

Comment

HO treatment and surgery is individual and complicated. Most surgeons won't remove unless truly causing a problem and won't make any guarantees.

Re: rehab hospitals in Dallas, Texas- previous responder. I would suggest Baylor Rehabilitation.
            CWO
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Anyone have post operation experiences to share ? 2018
              Canadian bacon is a fraud !!!!

Comment

I’ve developed HO after a high femur break and a flap surgery, I’ve had a sci for 40 years so I’m not sure what can be done. Im thinking if I take ibuprofen it might slow bone growth? Please advise. the pain of sitting is really off the charts, even lying down it’s painful, not sure what can help. I have a pressure sore established on my isheum and it is not healing. Not sure what can be done aside of surgery,
                Last edited by lloydbcuz; 8 Feb 2019, 12:12 AM. Reason: Forgot a question

Comment

I developed HO in my right hip/groin are in rehab, 1995. It was followed, matured and wasn't an issue and forgotten.
                  Almost since my injury, I have intermittent intense pain at the right groin line that no-one seems to have an explanation or a cure for.
                  ~A month ago I realized that my right leg was rapidly losing ROM to the point of pushing me back when sitting and making dressing the right leg and foot nearly impossible.
                  Transferring in the shower is now treacherous; only a matter of time before I meet the floor.
                  My primary care doc called for x-rays which confirm the HO AND indicate lessor amounts on the other hip!

I am disconsolate and pissed! Twenty three years of basically handling one crisis after the next. How much life do I have to miss? I'm 71
                  I need to know who to trust with this situation. I will consult with Dr Kirshblum at Kessler first but would like any other coaching available. Thankyou, Phil
                  69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                  NW NJ

Comment

I cannot help with your questions but offer my sympathy. Anything that limits ROM is very difficult to manage and just outright depressing. I hope you find help.

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                    I developed HO in my right hip/groin are in rehab, 1995. It was followed, matured and wasn't an issue and forgotten.
                    Almost since my injury, I have intermittent intense pain at the right groin line that no-one seems to have an explanation or a cure for.
                    ~A month ago I realized that my right leg was rapidly losing ROM to the point of pushing me back when sitting and making dressing the right leg and foot nearly impossible.
                    Transferring in the shower is now treacherous; only a matter of time before I meet the floor.
                    My primary care doc called for x-rays which confirm the HO AND indicate lessor amounts on the other hip!

I am disconsolate and pissed! Twenty three years of basically handling one crisis after the next. How much life do I have to miss? I'm 71
                    I need to know who to trust with this situation. I will consult with Dr Kirshblum at Kessler first but would like any other coaching available. Thankyou, Phil

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post

Any news on what you decided to do?
                      My HO has been growing, but just this last week has been a major change in my ROM. All the growing bone has finally bridged together.
                      SCI is the "gift" that keeps on giving.... Its not enough to be paralyzed, your body has to start doing all sorts of hellish things.
                      Canadian bacon is a fraud !!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X