Catheter irrigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catheter irrigation

When I irrigate my catheter I put the solution in but it won’t draw back out even when it goes in fine so is it OK to just let it drain out on its own?

Yes, that is actually the recommended way. CEO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by bnb66 View Post
      When I irrigate my catheter I put the solution in but it won’t draw back out even when it goes in fine so is it OK to just let it drain out on its own?
      Same thing here I just started irrigation about four weeks ago. When I first started doing it I did it the way you stated, it suck out all of mucus/grayish looking junk and it worked fine. Well I guess it just don't work that way anymore. So like you said you just have to let empty out by gravity.
      Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
      Bob Seger

Comment

The pressure from pulling during May make the insides of the catheter collapse and occlude the catheter opening. Try doing it slower if you feel you need to do that. CWO
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Catheter irrigation with sterile water or Normal saline is 0.9% saline​? I'm getting a lot of soft to hard sludge in catheter in the morning. (it looks like one of those old Christmas snow globes). I don't know which one works best. I have two different doctors that told me two different solutions.
          Bob Seger

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
            SCI-Nurse commented
            Editing a comment
            Sterile normal saline (NaCl 0.9%) is less irritating to the bladder wall than sterile water and is most recommended for irrigation. Our urologists recommended fairly forceful irrigation and sucking out the solution in the case of a blockage. (KLD)

KLD per your answer. "Our urologists recommended fairly forceful irrigation and sucking out the solution in the case of a blockage". Just this my caregiver pushed in 30CC and the syringe stopped. This is the third time this happened. I don't understand how forcefully she is supposed to push it in.
          So instead what we do is she pushes ever so lightly and then withdraws the fluid out about an eighth of an inch and then pushes it back in and it works good like that.

Doing that a few times in very short strokes is enough to get it going. After that it all breaks loose. What came out after that looked like those white particles you see in those snow globes. After that it took 30CC times 5 to get it to finally run clear. Luckily during the night it didn't clog. I guess my main question is how much force is too much force when pressing it in. I have video-conference with my urologist in two days. I have to ask him about the saline versus sterile water. It seems like there's a little confusion on what doctor ordered what. But I myself had always heard saline.

Not only that but there's some proof in the pudding since I started doing this past two weeks with sterile water there's been some mild to regular sweating after it's done. Now that I think of it when I was doing it a while back with sterile saline everything was fine.
          Bob Seger

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
            SCI-Nurse commented
            Editing a comment
            Hard enough that you have to very firmly hold the catheter and irrigation syringe together or they will blast apart. (KLD)

When mine clogs I really want to unclog it instead of change because I usually discover after the bladder is overfilled and standing out like a potato on my abdomen, generally full from 700-900 cc at times. I use about 30cc and try to force it in until it pops the cath off the syringe and I spray the saline everywhere. Somtimes it just won't unclog. There is usually a large amount of pus like material and at time a pubic hair is inside and short part is sticking outside the eyelet. It has encrusted closed, not the soft white 'snow globe" material. I do try to trim the pubic area and keep the hair short ~1/2- 3/4 inch to prevent that.
          https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

Working...
          X