Adult Skin Barrier Spray Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adult Skin Barrier Spray Recommendations

I have always used a skin barrier spray on my butt. Unfortunately now, the one I was using is no longer available. It was Dr. Smith's Adult Barrier Spray which contained zinc oxide. I was wondering if there was something that someone else has had a positive experience with. I have been able to maintain my skin integrity and would like to continue doing so. Thank you in advance.

Hi don't know of any sprays but my wound nurse recommends triad cream or calmoseptine

Comment

Dr. Smith's Adult Barrier Spray which contained zinc oxide.
      Amazon seems to still have it and others similar

Comment

I don't recommend skin barriers with zinc oxide like Butt Balm or the one mentioned above. They obscure your skin surface, and you have to scrape them off to do a good skin examination for pressure injuries. If you have a problem with moisture, you need to first identify and manage the cause. Are you leaking urine? Do you have excessive sweating? Do you have frequent bowel accidents? None of these barriers will help prevent pressure injuries, which start deep under the epidermis.

If you have moisture problems that cannot be corrected as above, I recommend the 3M Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film swabs or spray. It is completely clear, only needs to be applied daily, and is not removed by soap and water. (It sheds off with the skin cells in about 48 hours) If you must remove it for some reason, alcohol swabs work well. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_LB/p/d/v000123657/

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• tinern
          tinern commented
          Editing a comment
          I appreciate your feedback. I will have to rethink my daily routine. Since my accident, I have always used some sort of barrier spray. I have been very lucky to not have problems with my skin integrity.

This is a timely subject. I was recently told the skin on my butt was "macerated". I was skeptical being I'm never wet or moist. I tried Butt Paste last night and it turned out to be a disaster. Tonight I'll drape warm towels over it to loosen it up. The problem I'm having is the color of my butt starts to turn reddish purple. I would feel more relieved if it was white. I do understand that is a tall order but I believe this is why sometimes it feels like someone slapping my rear.
        Any special skin lotion recommended? BTW as far as pressure sores go I learned my lesson in in 2006. That's not going to happen again.
        Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
        Bob Seger

Comment

Cavilon

Comment

I would recommend Cavilon no sting skin prep. The reasons I like it are stated above What does your care team recommend?
            ckf
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
            X