broken hip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broken hip

just got home from er with broken hip they said just to let it heal but didn't give any restrictions see the ortho dr tomorrow any thoughts

I broke both mine jet skiing in 2004. The docs just gave me 4 bags of blood over a 2 day span and sent me home also. If I had it to do over, I would INSIST on corrective surgery. My hips both rotated and the legs/feet always lie flat on the bed, and it is hell keeping my legs in chair/footplate.

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

Sorry about your hip, I can say I feel off my van lift in 1982 and fractured my hip, first dr. never Xray it that evening thought it was a bruise, went home took off a week work with hip all purple, till I went to another dr. and hospital x-rayed said i broke it, stayed there over night because the ortho came in, smelling like alcohol, next day I checked out, I tried working some, but I sweated profusely and very little pain for two weeks, I called my rehab doctor told him get me admitted, for another opinion, by the time i got in, the ortho stated that if you have no AD, can deal with the pain, it was already healing, the surgery has implications more than just putting a pin it there, you have possible infection, etc, so we monitored it every two weeks as it healed for 6 months. I was 26, maybe I was able to heal better since it happened 10-year post injury. My leg is an inch shorter now, BUT, i have had no issues with it, spasms and stretching. I would get the best ortho possible and consider all options. I believe not having surgery was my better option, but that was 40 years ago. longer you go bones do start healing on their own. I personally would watch transferring, stay off as much as you can. we are all unique. IMO

Comment

I would urge you to see an orthopedic surgeon to determine if you are a candidate for a surgical stabilization. Yes, it may heal with bedrest but there is no guarantee it will heal properly or at all if you resume your normal activities (transfers, weight shifts, etc.) with a fracture. Don't let someone just write you off because you are paralyzed.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I read all the old posts and it seemed like you [ sci nurse ] said you didn't know one any one who had surgery. The ortho dr said it would heal on its own he is setting me up with a brace said legs are same length and should be ok. should I get a second opinion?

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
            SCI-Nurse commented
            Editing a comment
            There are few braces that can stabilize a fractured hip and not give you skin problems. I would get a second opinion. I do know quite a few people with SCI/D, including my own mother, who had successful surgery. (KLD)
        Working...
        X