Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clogged leaking Foley that's not Clogged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just had the blocked cath problem for the second time since Botox. ugh.Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20221021_102529.jpg Views:	0 Size:	693.8 KB ID:	2923206
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like you may have a yeast infection, which is difficult to treat. Call your urologist.
      (KLD)

• HACKNSACK44
      HACKNSACK44 commented
      Editing a comment
      How much water do you drink daily?

I had a bladder augment 15 years ago and ever since been unable to use a Foley without it clogging at least once sometimes multiple times per day. This is required when I'm hospitalized since my augment was a failure and despite botox every year the last 13 years I have forceful voiding out the stoma all the time.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      An augmentation will create much more mucous in your bladder, usually requiring routine irrigation. Do you not do this? (KLD)

• crags
      crags commented
      Editing a comment
      At home I irrigate twice a day with saline, 100 mL to make sure it gets up into the augment. However, when hospitalized protocol mandates that the system stays closed to avoid introducing bacteria. They will irrigate through the port but that does not allow the retraction of all of the mucus. That has to be done through disconnection of the foley into the drainage system. It is usually a battle but I can usually get it added to the order that they need to do this and make an exception to their protocol.

I drink so much water its sickening.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you see my comment above about yeast? (KLD)

KLD, Yes I did thanks. Again Today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221023_072638.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	668.1 KB
ID:	2923238

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you call your urologist or PCP and ask for a yeast culture? Are you irrigating? (KLD)

Yes i called Urologist. irrigating doesn't seem to help.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      Is he/she going to test you for a yeast infection and treat if present? (KLD)

so you have called the urologist - what is the plan?
    summary from above comments
    1.rule out infection
    2. consider cystoscopy (if one has not been done) look at the interior of your bladder or Bladder CT scan or ultrasound - r/o bladder stones
    3. Urodynamic testing is any procedure that looks at how well the bladder, sphincters, and urethra are storing and releasing urine. Most urodynamic tests focus on the bladder's ability to hold urine and empty steadily and complete

SCI-Nursepbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• Norm
      Norm commented
      Editing a comment
      I go Monday.

Dr. put in a 20fr Cath & took a fresh urine culture while i was there to check for a yeast infection. And we will go from there.

Comment

My urologist said the Proteus infection is causing the granules in the urine. Of course they messed up and did not do a yeast test. 🤬. The Doctors nurse wants me to drink lemon in my water now.

Comment

Please keep us posted on how your doing.
        Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
        Bob Seger

Comment

Waiting on yeast test still.

Comment

Working...
          X