Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clogged leaking Foley that's not Clogged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clogged leaking Foley that's not Clogged?

My Foley has been leaking weekly forcing me to run to the ER weekly or have my Nurse change it weekly. The AD is horrible. Whenever we look at it nothing is clogging it. Is it getting stuck to my bladder wall or what. This driving me nuts I never know when its going to happen next. I even changed the foly from a 16fr to 18 and it made no difference. What the heck is going on?

I'm going to try a Duette indwelling urinary catheter to see if this works.

Would even a super public stop this?
    Last edited by Norm; 11 Sep 2022, 8:00 PM.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Changing to a larger catheter (from 16Fr to 18Fr) will not help leaking; in fact it often makes it worse.

Is your catheter latex, coated latex (silastic or Teflon), or pure silicone?

Are you taking any anticholergic medications such as Ditropan or Detrol? If so, how much? Have you considered Botox injections?

It is likely that the leakage and AD is due to a small shrunken bladder that is having a lot of spasm. A SP would not resolve this issue.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Uti?

Comment

Have you spoken with your physician? You might want to have urodynamics done. At the least a urine c&s might be in line.

ckf
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I'm having my botox tomorrow. But my urologist has been hard to get a an appointment with. But I will see him hard tomorrow since he's doing botox.
          "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

Comment

Any updates on using cream of tarter my indwelling catheter has been plugging up lately it last between 3 to 7 days started tarter yesterday fingers crossed

Comment

Botox done and now he wants irrigation of Foley every day. If that doesn't work a Duette next after that not sure yet where he wants to go.

Comment

In the literature, daily irrigation does not seem to make a difference- just so you know. Antecdotatally- some report improvement. Curious to see if you get the response you need.
                ckf

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                  In the literature, daily irrigation does not seem to make a difference- just so you know. Anecdotally - some report improvement. Curious to see if you get the response you need.
                  ckf
                  Norm, over the years with my foley, I've noticed that when I awake in the mornings, THAT is when the major sediment happens. The tube is near full with it. After I let up on fluid intake and no longer putting out much fluid is when it shows up. During the rest of time that I am hydrating, you only notice a small amount in the bag. I can clog a cath bad in a day if I do not keep water flowing. Have to get these stones out.

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

• ueckland
                    ueckland commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When you get that much sediment do you have to change your catheter are just flush it. For the last month my catheter has been plugging up about 3 to 5 days with granual type stuff try to flush it but normally have to change it other than that my urine is clear I'm not sweating but do feel a bit muggy if thats even a word. Was reading some post about cream of tarter so I started that about 6 days ago so far it hasn't plugged up crossing my fingers it works.
                    Tim.

The more you drink, the clearer your urine should be, if you are hydrated. Sediment comes from the lining of the bladder, bladder stones and irritation of the urethra and bladder lining. It does get sloughed off as urine passes. When the urine is more concentrated, more sediment forms.
                  ckf

Comment

i don't have stones.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                      SCI-Nurse commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Did you get the Botox? It should work with about 5-7 days. (KLD)

Yes on Wednesday.

Comment

Fingers crossed for you… Botox solved a similar problem for me.
                      C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

The duette caths are great, just at 13 bux apiece, I can't afford them any more. I saw a LOT less sediment output the few years I used them. (Right after I had stones removed around 2015)

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

Unfortunately they are expensive. You can sometimes get them covered if your physician writes a letter explaining the medical necessity of this device.
                          ckf

Comment

Working...
                          X