Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Surehands Body Support lift good for easy wearing of boxer and pants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Surehands Body Support lift good for easy wearing of boxer and pants?

My caregiver has developed serious pain in her shoulders trying to put my boxers and pants on me. She puts my upper body clothes like undershirt and shirt in the shower chair after shower. Then she transfers me to the bed using a Hoyer lift. She has to pull my knee up, turn me, etc. while trying to maneuver the boxer and the pants up my legs. I came across the Surehands lift with the Body Support option when searching for a solution on the web. It seemed like it could lift someone up grabbing their upper body only. With the body raised up high and the legs free, it could allow the caregiver to easily put on the boxers and pants on the SCI individual. Does anyone have experience with the Surehands Body Support lift being used like this? Is there any other lift or way to easily put on the lower body (below the belt) clothing on a SCI person? Thanks.

https://www.surehands.com/products/s...s-body-support

Are you talking about only lifting your upper body and leaving your lower body dangling to get your boxers and pants on and off?

Comment

You can do it, but you cannot safely be lifted with the Body Support without the hooks that go under the thighs. You would have apply the shorts as high as possible on your thighs while still in the shower chair, and roll or wad them up into your groin, then apply the sling under the lower thighs, then pull the shorts up while you are mid-air or after seated in your chair. Just about the same amount of effort as what your PCA is doing now, in my book. My mother always wore a skirt or dress, so it was easier for us with her Body Support.

PS: do you really need to wear boxers? Can't you go commando? Less work, and less wrinkles to deal with.

(KLD)
      Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 24 Jun 2022, 11:13 AM.
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
        Are you talking about only lifting your upper body and leaving your lower body dangling to get your boxers and pants on and off?
        More or less so. May be have one or both of the feet rest on an elevated surface like the bed, chair, etc. All so below the belt clothing is easier to put on.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          You can do it, but you cannot safely be lifted with the Body Support without the hooks that go under the thighs. You would have apply the shorts as high as possible on your thighs while still in the shower chair, and roll or wad them up into your groin, then apply the sling under the lower thighs, then pull the shorts down while you are mid-air or after seated in your chair. Just about the same amount of effort as what your PCA is doing now, in my book. My mother always wore a skirt or dress, so it was easier for us with her Body Support.

PS: do you really need to wear boxers? Can't you go commando? Less work, and less wrinkles to deal with.

(KLD)
          Thanks SCI-Nurse/KLD. If the Surehands with Body Support can be contrived to pull up my boxer/pants easier, it would be a great relief for the caregiver. As for safe lifting, I think I would need that more for transferring to and from the shower chair/wheelchair, and for that those hooks can go under the thighs.

Their website didn't inspire confidence in me in terms of still being in business. Do you know if they are in business? And, do you think it will be worthwhile looking for a used Surehands lift? I don't think my Medicare insurance would cover the cost.

Also, is there any other better solution to the problem? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Quad62 View Post

More or less so. May be have one or both of the feet rest on an elevated surface like the bed, chair, etc. All so below the belt clothing is easier to put on.
            The Body Support puts a lot of pressure on your shoulders. Keep that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post

The Body Support puts a lot of pressure on your shoulders. Keep that in mind.
              I have weak shoulders/arm strength, so have always used the power chair. Maybe it's my turn now to take that pressure on the shoulders rather than her. She has been doing it for 20 years. I will try to set up a demo with Surehands to see if everything can work out. Thanks for your responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Quad62 View Post

I have weak shoulders/arm strength, so have always used the power chair. Maybe it's my turn now to take that pressure on the shoulders rather than her. She has been doing it for 20 years. I will try to set up a demo with Surehands to see if everything can work out. Thanks for your responses.
                Good luck!

Comment

• Quad62
                  Quad62 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you!

Wish u were closer to Kansas City to observe our routine. We put on underwear and pants/shirts making sure the excess fabric is toward the crotch. Up up up he goes and I pull underwear/pants over his bum. So much easier than rolling.

surehands is also marketed under Handi-move

Comment

Actually they are two different companies. I have both and they are different. I would call HandiMove a budget Surehands.

Comment

I have Surehands lift. Trick is to not have a shirt on. Just skin and the surehands lift will press harder on your chest than under your shoulder. I leave my shirt on for the bed tranfer cause it is faster but does hurt a little more. You hang there to long it hurts. You learn the tricks as you go along.
                    Art

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                      SCI-Nurse commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's where it should hold you anyway if properly set up. Hanging by your armpits can cause damage to the nerves that run through that area to the arm and hand. (KLD)

• Quad62
                      Quad62 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Art454 and SCI-Nurse/KLD.

have you tried Lycra unpadded bike shorts instead of cotton underwear. they are easy to put on and your pants slide across them.

Comment

Originally posted by stmp4fun View Post
                      Wish u were closer to Kansas City to observe our routine. We put on underwear and pants/shirts making sure the excess fabric is toward the crotch. Up up up he goes and I pull underwear/pants over his bum. So much easier than rolling.

surehands is also marketed under Handi-move
                      Thanks stmp4fun. Do you have it as a ceiling lift attachment or as a mobile lift + attachment? If it's a mobile lift, could you post a picture of it?

Comment

Originally posted by webfoot View Post
                        Actually they are two different companies. I have both and they are different. I would call HandiMove a budget Surehands.
                        Thanks webfoot for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
                          have you tried Lycra unpadded bike shorts instead of cotton underwear. they are easy to put on and your pants slide across them.
                          No, baldfatdad. I think there could be an issue of access for intermittent cathing if the bike shorts don't have a fly.

Comment

Working...
                          X